GTR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right then, calling all the IT guys on here, it's that time again when I need a new laptop so before I go ahead and get any old one I find I thought I'd get some opinions on here first!

It'll be used for just general use and nothing too taxing, internet, emails, watching movies, streaming etc

So far I was thinking:
I5 8250U
8GB RAM
256GB SSD
15 inch full HD screen
Windows OS

What's your thoughts, what would you recommend and wheres the best/cheapest place to buy?

·
Registered
217 Posts
All of those seem good except for the 8GB ram and the 256GB SSD. I'd recommend 16GB of ram or maybe even 32GB and possibly 1 terabyte SSD for the best bang for your buck. SanDisk and Samsung are both pretty reliable SSDs. I'm not a huge computer nerd, but I know more than the average self labeled "tech savvy" youngsters. You can make a cheap laptop, but better off with something with more space just in case.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My budget is around the £400 mark so I'm not sure it will stretch to that?

I was thinking if I need extra storage I could just use my external hard drive?

·
Administrator
31,395 Posts
you're right Jags, Space isn't priority, good processor and ram are, so just get the highest you can of each for budget. SSD is essential, and 256 will be good enough so don't lose track of that when comparing as it's easy to forget.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These essentially fit the bill I think:

The prices on this site seem to be quite favourable compared to elsewhere, ever heard of them?

·
Administrator
31,395 Posts
not heard of them but if it's a brand it should be ok. I use Ebuyer sometimes. one thing I have noticed on mine is Chrome uses a lot of Graphic memory (GPU) so if you can get a dedicated graphics card that will help.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Stay clear of Acer, worst laptop I've ever bought. So bad I've hot a 5 year old lower spec HP laptop that should be much much slower (less clock speed, less memory etc etc) that wipes the floor with the Acer. Only bought the Acer 'cos I thought I could do with an upgrade.........hmm

·
Registered
428 Posts
Ok so Acer is out the window then!

HP and Lenovo seem to be decent quality
I have always used HP and they are good laptops, my gf had a Lenovo laptop for work - worst laptop I have ever used, slow, horrible button feel, just felt cheap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts