GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone .:p

Finally decided to join u lot after lurking on the site for the last couple of months:clap:

I felt I did not get good service from the selling hpc in London and hence was not happy with the overall buying experience. I bought a black/black edition non nav car but glad to say have been very happy with the car itself:thumbsup:

Just to say this site is fantastic ,all due to the members and the management team of course ,thanks:D

Has I live in sunny Manchester :clap:I am going to Middlehursts for the optimisation.Decided to get the y pipe fitted at the same time but just wondering( because most people are saying that the car will need remapping owing to overfuelling),whether there will be any possible damage to the engine or cat as a result if I go for the y pipe on its own. I know the fuel economy may be poorer as result ,but I am not sure regarding Cobb AP because of the dreaded W word. However if I was to have Cobb tune stage 0 ,ie zero increase in boost would the warranty still be finished?

I have read the various advice and tips given by people regarding optimisation settings but would still be most grateful if people who have had optimisation done recently to chime in with new or what they would have said in hindsight to the technician regarding settings for every day and fast road driving?

Thanks in advance to all.

regards

khalid.

·
Premium Member
7,641 Posts
Y-pipe can be used with the standard ecu map.

You can also use it with the Cobb Accessport maps stage 1 and 2.

BTW, who on this site ever mentioned that a remap would be necessary with a y-pipe??

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Not necessary, but desirable IMO.
The car runs rich as standard anyway, add the Y-pipe and it overfuels even more.

Cobb Stage 0 is an interesting one. The Consult can show how many times the ECU has been reflashed, but if it doesn't register any increase in boost (due to Stage 0 only), will that cause a problem re warranty?

I suspect that hypothetically it still could, because even without increasing boost, adjusting the fuelling will inevitably increase power and response.

You have to just take the plunge and realise that the car is infinitely more fun with a Cobb Stage 2 (tweaked by GTC of course) and it probably won't break anyway!

So far, AFAIK, the relatively few engines that have gone wrong have all been replaced under warranty whether they were tuned or not (because they suffered a manufacturing fault). This implies there is some element of reasonableness at play at Nissan, albeit after being bashed around the head by Alex and his cohorts in Germany! :D

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Y-pipe can be used with the standard ecu map.

You can also use it with the Cobb Accessport maps stage 1 and 2.

BTW, who on this site ever mentioned that a remap would be necessary with a y-pipe??

Andy changing intake, removing cats, bov will effect running

but evey car is different, seeing how these changes have effected a 35 should at very least be checked and not hope for the best / it feels ok / everyone else does it therefor must be fine.

generally removing a set of cats will increase air flow, yet no one checks their AFR's, in our opinion does effect fuel consumption.

Another example, in the States people are fitting intakes and seeing gains on the dyno... really they are seeing more power resulting from running lean.

remap brings back the safe balance if needed

KK - your warranty can not be automatically void, only in the event of a warranty claim that a non oem part has been responsible for said failure.

btw intead of a heavy 76mm Y-pipe why not treat yourself to a 80mm Titanium version ?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Slightly higher airflow will push it a little richer as Nissan have left a continental shelf dropping into a million barrels of oil just next to the stock load in the fuel map, but a remap is by no means required. I would be happier about the engine with a sensible AFR though, and it will keep your engine oil in better shape. I would rather run another 50 BHP than have fuel in my oil.

Even if you don't raise the boost I would assume a flash counter off the ECU itself that sits on the CAN bus (probably in the MFD as that is the natural location for the black box given the data it reads) knows you have flashed a control unit.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies fellas, much appreciated.

David I have read your thoughts on tuning Godzilla 2, but can you honestly say hand on heart that you dont think stage 2 Cobb and y pipe will be detrimental in the long term?

Ben can you elaborate on the lighter 80 mm pipe and the advantage other than weight saving over the milltek pipe? even though i cannot see much in the weight saving in terms of performance improvement.Also crucially how much? and who will fit it near to Manchester?
Also I am interested in the GB for the AP but what would you say if I was contemplating buyig one now in terms of cost savings and not using it straight away.Would it go "out of date" in the near future?

Thistle interesting regarding AFR but do you really think that running y pipe without improving /mapping would case damage in the short term?

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts

David I have read your thoughts on tuning Godzilla 2, but can you honestly say hand on heart that you dont think stage 2 Cobb and y pipe will be detrimental in the long term?
Yes I can. Having followed masses of tuned GT-Rs on NAGTROC.org for over a year now, none of them have suffered any ill effects from such modest tuning.

2000 Cobbs have been sold in the US! They are the biggest bunch of complainers on the planet, if they had anything bad to say or any bad experieces, we'd have heard about them by now...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok David thanks for your thoughts. The more I read your opinions the more I am tempted to go full swing.
People think we must be mad to want more power but I think they are missing the point we are looking for more drivability, if you understand what I am trying to say.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I'm curious to understand why the cars runs richer with a y-pipe. Surely the ecu uses either a MAP sensor or airflow meter to measure the amount of air coming into the engine and adjusts fuel accordingly. If the y-pipe allows more air through the intakes, then the ecu will increase fuel surely?

Has anyone proven this, or is it just a theory?

·
Registered
968 Posts
Yes I can. Having followed masses of tuned GT-Rs on NAGTROC.org for over a year now, none of them have suffered any ill effects from such modest tuning.

2000 Cobbs have been sold in the US! They are the biggest bunch of complainers on the planet, if they had anything bad to say or any bad experieces, we'd have heard about them by now...
In fact a lawsuit would have been filed if that would be the case. There has been one against Nissan, not against Cobb!

·
Registered
3,684 Posts

Ben can you elaborate on the lighter 80 mm pipe and the advantage other than weight saving over the milltek pipe? even though i cannot see much in the weight saving in terms of performance improvement.Also crucially how much? and who will fit it near to Manchester?
Also I am interested in the GB for the AP but what would you say if I was contemplating buyig one now in terms of cost savings and not using it straight away.Would it go "out of date" in the near future?

Thistle interesting regarding AFR but do you really think that running y pipe without improving /mapping would case damage in the short term?

best thing to do is spend some time reading the threads on here about the AP, our work and also users on nagtroc, who have been using the ap, exhaust and much more some users for over 18 months now and 30,000 miles +

We ourselves imported a JDM 35 to UK in Feb 08, its been mentioned on here loads of times people are probably bored of me going on about it. We have hammered our 35's in name of r&d

Also again mentioned many times before in the AP thread, that its updated online thus kept up to date

Many Skyline owners from the past have learn't a trick or two... one being buy the right product first time round, rather than buying an inferior size / weight product then buying the right one later down the line.

The Y-pipe is all of 6 bolts circa 15 mins. so i don't know why some hpc's charge 1 hour labour, some of you guys think if your HPC fits it it's better. We should have a dealer in your area to fit if neeed :)

[email protected]

·
Premium Member
7,641 Posts
Ben can you pm me the price for your y pipe the titanium one thanks
Atta boy!

You'll never regret it!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I'm curious to understand why the cars runs richer with a y-pipe. Surely the ecu uses either a MAP sensor or airflow meter to measure the amount of air coming into the engine and adjusts fuel accordingly. If the y-pipe allows more air through the intakes, then the ecu will increase fuel surely?

Has anyone proven this, or is it just a theory?
In the fuel and timing maps just beyond stock levels, the stock maps have the ignition timing falling off a cliff and the fuel richening heavily. You may increase volumetric efficiency with your midpipe and gain airflow, but thermal efficiency declines rapidly.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My AP and Ti Y pipe are with Parcelforce (from Ben), can't wait. Although I don't really want to go to Bournmouth to get the pipe fitted. Any suggestions for somewhere around Guildford/Farnham you'd recommend?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ben thanks for the pm.

Is the titan y pipe louder or the same as Milltek and what are the weight differences between the two ?. Hope you can provide some info for me asap regarding this, since I have booked in for thursday morning to have the y pipe fitted.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Titanium has a bigger "bore" allowing more flow, so I would think it will be a touch louder (and perhaps a handful more ponies with a custom map).

It is lighter than the steel version, but I don't think you will notice the difference on an 1800kg car tbh.

D

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sumo 69 thanks.

I am in agreement with you.

I find that reversing the car is not very smooth and the first to second gear change is similar can the dealer improve this at optimisation?

·
Premium Member
7,641 Posts
Just had my clutches relearnt at my 6k service and the 'box feels super smooth again, so probably worth mentioning to your HPC..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts