GTR Forum banner

New owner, basic answers req'd

4K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  Stealth69 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm going to go through all the manuals / receipts at the weekend. Until I know what I've just brought, lol, can someone tell me what I need to do before and after driving? Stage 1 Cobb etc, temp here's a few degrees over freezing right now. Had some great / some scary moments today, need some advice so the car will still be running on Saturday. (It better not rain).
Ideally;
What temp before moving
What temp before warp drive
What temp before shutdown.

That seems to be my experience today :thumbsup:

#2 ·
Hey Andy, welcome to the club :p

It has been pretty damn cold recently so its quiet important to manage temps well in the GTR.

Basically before moving i usually let mine hit around 25-30 degrees at least on the trans diff oil temp.. Same with engine oil but it usually seems to warm up faster than the trans oil temp.. Moving off at this temp you wanna be easy on the car, let it warm up gradually.. I have also heard that it is not so good to let the car warm up all the way from freezing temps up to normal running temps at a complete standstill.. Its better to drive off at safe temp and let it warm up while moving so that oil can circulate correctly..

Temp before warp drive is ideally like 80 degrees but you can start putting your foot down by 75..

Im pretty sure you can shutdown as long as its under 100 degrees..

#4 ·
Hi Hash, I have near zero mechanical knowledge so this may well be a daft question, but how does the diff get any heat if you're not moving? Surely it's engine, clutch, transmission, diff?

So how does the diff gain any heat energy dissipated from movement if it's not moving?

Like I said, near zero knowledge so it's probably obvious, just not to me...

#5 ·
Hi DonnyMac and welcome to the club ;) to answer your question: the front diff is fitted to the engine block and the rear is part of the transmission so both get heated up by transmitted heat :).

#10 ·
What about cooling down after a standard motorway drive (70-80 mph) and after a heavy / spirited drive? In the Evo, I was told to drive the last few miles / minutes in top gear at around 1.5k revs (which equates to around 30mph in that car so works well). Is this suitable for the GTR or are there other / better suggestions?

#12 ·
Good info thanks folks, so around 80 before giving it beans?

#15 ·
I always warm mine up till 50 C all and then go. I will sometimes put a carton on my oil cooler because, mine does go up with these cold weather.

cool down:

- normal drive 30 secs.
- spirited drive 1-2 minutes
- extreme drive 5-10 minutes

#16 ·
The reason why you don't switch a turbo car off straight away after a hard drive is because the only thing that greases the turbo bearings is oil (switch the car off after a hard drive no oil pressure = no turbo bearing lubrication) the turbo will still spin for a while after a flat out drive at least 3 mins + after a hard drive to allow the impeller to slow down

#17 ·
no, the turbo only spins high speed when you are under boost. it either doesn't spin at idle or will barely spin. the reason people say to idle before shutting off a turbocharged vehicle is to allow oil and water to circulate through the turbo to bring it's temperature down so the oil doesn't coke in the turbo. If you've been driving hard, drive it easy/let it idle for a few minutes before shutting it down.

#18 ·
As above, the turbo's are screaming hot and will bake the stationary oil if switched off after a hard boost.

Turbo timer's though are just a pointless gimmick, no point sitting at idle for 2 minutes and letting everything else heat up.

The sensible method is to just drive off boost for the last few minutes of any drive, letting air flow around and cool everything, including brakes.

Same when setting off, just let everything get up to temp before boosting.

#22 ·
It's always good to cool a car down after running it hard but it is far less of a neccessity now-a-days (onday to day driving excl track) with the Fully synthetic Oils, there is very little, if anything, that will bake..... it's just called mechanical sympathy and using a bit of common sense :)

The turbo is ALWAYS spinning.... unless the engine is off obviously.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.