GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Skyline owners!

Was wondering if there is any kind of 'new owner guide' of dos and don'ts hiding in the wealth of knowledge on here....?

The reason I ask is that I bought a pristine 30k mile R32 GTR a month back and it ran beautifully until I took it out on track at Knockhill and bugger'd the bottom end :( .

I am particularly pi55ed at myself now, as, with a bit of delving I have found many topics covering oil surge and sump baffle's which warn against doing trackdays without a properly kitted sump. I did search at the time but primarily for 'trackday info' which was more about how to drive the big beasties.
It seems that it is circuits with long fast right handers which quickly starve the engine of it's life blood and lead to the bottom end 'knock-knock-knocking on heavens door'!
Have any of the drifting guys experiences this with their bottom ends? The bearings on my S13 went whilst drifting and I'm fairly sure that oil surge/starvation was the cause there too. Trust Nissan to over engineer an engine to handle race like tolerances.... but neglect to put baffles in the sump :rolleyes: :confused: .

Another tip might be: don't jack the car up on it's chassis legs (I was wise enough to check that one out first but lets make it idiot proof).

If there is a 'guide' may I suggest that it is 'sticky'd' and if not then please feel free to add to this list of no-no's in the hope that we can save other new owners from crying themselves to sleep very night :p .

Thanks,
Jonny

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just as it says mate, I used to jack my old S13 up on it's chassis legs (the two long box-like sections that run from the front to the rear of the car) and never had any problems.
I've been told to avoid this on the GTR's as it's just too damn heavy and could and up creasing the legs.
Better place to jack these beasties is on the front and rear subframe... it is pretty difficult with a standard Halfrauds trolley jack, you really need a long reach one (especially if you've lowered the car) and these can be quite pricey.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
The 300zx suffers from the same jacking on chasis leg problem, I have welded 3 of them in that place as they corrode at the edges once they are bent.

I dont know if this is relevant, wise or true , But my dad has a Porsche 924 and apparently if your doing track work you should overfill it by some ammount, im not sure how much, but thats for the same oil surge reason, personally, I would fit sump baffles.

I jack mine on the proper jacking points, no probs, but mines a GTS and they are somewhat lighter than the GTR

Mark.

P.S. First timers guide seems like a good idea to me.

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Jonny,

Sounds like a really good idea. I guess we should start here and have people add their two-pennuth and see how the list builds. Maybe add it to the buyers guide as well as some of the "don'ts" would be useful for potential buyers to llok at for poor ownership or abuse.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
The couple of times Ive taken mine on track I always ensure that my oil is sat right at the maximum possibly even just over each time I go out.

For jacking up I use the scissor jack on the proper jacking point and then get a trolley underneath once Ive taken some of the weight off the suspension. Really need an extra low trolley though.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the positive input guys. Dave my oil was just over the max even after the big ends started knocking :(.

So the list is as follows at the mo'... (in no particular order)

1. Avoid trackdays unless you have a baffled sump, oil cooler or other way to increase oil capacity and prevent oil starvation.
2. Avoid jacking the car on the sills or chassis legs. Best areas to jack are front and rear sub-frames (if your car is too low try driving onto a plank of wood to raise it up a bit).
3. Always use the same size AND width tyres on a Skyline that has any kind of 4wd system, otherwise the transfer box may throw a wobbly.

Come on folks, all of you seasoned Skyliners must have some input for this, spare a thought for the dafties (like me :p).

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Jonnyspeedbump said:
Thanks for the positive input guys. Dave my oil was just over the max even after the big ends started knocking :(.

So the list is as follows at the mo'... (in no particular order)

1. Avoid trackdays unless you have a baffled sump, oil cooler or other way to increase oil capacity and prevent oil starvation.
2. Avoid jacking the car on the sills or chassis legs. Best areas to jack are front and rear sub-frames (if your car is too low try driving onto a plank of wood to raise it up a bit).
3. Always use the same size AND width tyres on a Skyline that has any kind of 4wd system, otherwise the transfer box may throw a wobbly.

Come on folks, all of you seasoned Skyliners must have some input for this, spare a thought for the dafties (like me :p).
Check the oil pressure before you buy a car. :eek:

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Mookistar said:
If your picking it up freshly imported,

DON'T rag it home,
DO only use Super/ultimate/optimax fuel,
book it straight in to have a once over at a tuner,
and change the camblet

IMHO

mook
If you dont do anything else at all at least do these steps!!!

Ive spent more money on my car from a peace of mind perspective than I have on tuning it further.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
I would add.

Listen to the starter motor (they sometimes rattle when the engine starts)
Check front tension rod bushes
Look for corrosion under rear wheel arches
Check for smoke on overrun or just when revved (warm it up to do this)

Mark.

·
Registered
715 Posts
When drifting/track day always add an extra 1/2 to a litre of oil if you don't have sump baffles or an extension. And always check it between runs!!!

and get to know your tuner very well, he/she could well become your new best friend!!!!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Some good points made by Mookiesatr there, I'll add 'em onto the list.

Marky_GTSt said:
I would add.

Listen to the starter motor (they sometimes rattle when the engine starts)
Check front tension rod bushes
Look for corrosion under rear wheel arches
Check for smoke on overrun or just when revved (warm it up to do this)
Thanks for the input Marky but these points are probably better suited to the buying guide as you'd want to know about them before handing over the folding. The last point you made about smoke on overrun:- what is the cause of this? My R32 was doing it quite regularly :(.

Cheers,
Jonny

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Updated list:

3. It is recommended that you use the same size AND width tyres on a Skyline that has any kind of 4wd system to prevent damage to the transfer box. You can use the following link to calculate tyre radii if you do choose to use differant width tyres front and back: http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyresize.html
4. For a freshly imported car, have the cambelt changed unless the car has very low mileage or proof of a recently fitted one.
5. It's always a good idea to have a good tuner take a look at the car, especially if it's a fresh import.
6. Only run super-unleaded fuel, preferably 98ron+. If you do have to use lower octane fuel in an emergency, try to stay off boost.

Martin, how far over the high level would half a litre be? My oil level was about 5mm over the high level but it didn't save my bearings :(.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Updated list:

3. It is recommended that you use the same size AND width tyres on a Skyline that has any kind of 4wd system to prevent damage to the transfer box. You can use the following link to calculate tyre radii if you do choose to use differant width tyres front and back: http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyresize.html
4. For a freshly imported car, have the cambelt changed unless the car has very low mileage or proof of a recently fitted one.
5. It's always a good idea to have a good tuner take a look at the car, especially if it's a fresh import.
6. Only run super-unleaded fuel, preferably 98ron+. If you do have to use lower octane fuel in an emergency, try to stay off boost.
7. Avoid running standard ceramic wheeled turbos at more than 15psi of boost unless you want pieces of ceramic rattling around inside the engine :eek: :p !

Jonny

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Jonnyspeedbump said:
I presonally dont believe you need an oil cooler to do a track day. On Donington I saw oil temps of no more than 110 degrees and I was going for it on high boost (1.4 bar) for 15 minutes!

If you intend driving the thing absolutely on the edge, and you have to be a brave man to do so, then yes you should prep it for some savage abuse, but for a normal person wondering if it's safe to take one on a track its absolutely not necessary! Ive been on track in mine, twice, running 450bhp - standard sump no oil cooler :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Pikey,
where were you on your trackdays? It seems that circuits with long, fast right handers are the killer of Skylines, seen a few threads about it on here.
I was running at Knockhill in my fairly standard R32 GTR (exhaust, filters and hks intercooler and standard boost) when my big ends went. I'm fairly sure they went at Clarks (see diagram below) which is a fairly fast right hander with negative camber. My standard shocks probably weren't helping matters either.

My car is a genuine 30k miler in pristine condition with few mod's so the bearings should have been fairly strong.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Good thread lads, may just save me a few quid when mine arrives. Never really thought about booking her in for a cambelt change but i will be now!
Anyone know roughly how much it is to get this done!?

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Llandow and Donington.

Standard suspension is fairly soft and wallowy, cant have helped.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts