GTR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I decided to save a few £K and get a GTS not a GTR. The one I`ve bought has a few mods, front mounted intercooler, HKS exhaust/Filter, dumpvalve.

I`m obviously wanting to get more BHP from it but just wondered the basics on where to go from here. Mainly I`m interested in what Boost can be run at as I think its at 7psi(standard) now. Do they have the ceramic turbos like the GTR? so its safe to limit it to no more than 1Bar??

I`ll be buying an AFC controller to sort out the fueling with the imports running lean and i`ll be getting a boost controller, just don`t want to set it too high and blow something!.

Also if you could tell me what parts are interchanganble with the GTR that would help.

Thanks guys and i`ll be spending ALOT of time on this board from now.

Steve.

P.S. Basically any info you got on the GTS will be GTREAT!!!!!;)

·
Registered
720 Posts
Hi Steve,

welcome to the site and good luck with the new purchase. If your running an uprated intercooler, air-filter, exhaust - you should be able to run about 10 psi of boost without any pre-ignition problems. The stock ECU will be able to cope with this OK. Good choice going with the Apexi computer, after this is installed and setup, 12-13 psi should be ok to run (providing it's well mapped). Due to the RB25's high compression ratio and cam spec (engineered for low end torque & response), the engine doesn't cope with raised boost very well. To go higher in boost a thicker head gasket and different spec cams are a must. The stock turbo I've heard is good for upto 15psi, don't forget that the turbo's turbine wheel is ceramic, so it's not going to cope with raised boost very well; being a chance of it breaking. An uprated turbo is strongley advised if your going to be wanting more boost then 15psi, also forged pistons.

Hope this is of some help.

Jason.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mate, Like i said i think its only running at 7psi as thats all the stock boost gauge went up to, obviously I`m gonna get a great big one to stick in the dash! any sites where I can look at?

Steve.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Good move

Steve,

You made a good choice there buying a Skyline. I've got a gts with a few modifications and run 1.2 bar at the minute BUT I've got an uprated turbo. Don't go beyond 1 bar with the stock turbo, its not worth it. I haven't touched my cams or fuel system yet (!) and I'm currently putting out 342 BHP and 326 ft/lb torque (at the minute ;) ). There is a hell of a lot of potential in these beasts and the torque just makes you wanna grin:D . Is it torque or BHP you want?

I'd get a roller bearing turbo if you want to run higher boost.

The Apexi Power FC is definitely the way to go. You may also want to bypass GTR to GTS parts and get Nismo GTS parts etc.

Anyway, welcome and enjoy the car!

Best wishes,

Stu

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so am i right in saying that the most sensible step next(after AFC + boost controller) is an uprated turbo, to allow me to run more boost? if so what are the best tuners/dealers to go to, I currently use dpmotorsport in Cheshire. Also can you just upgrade the current turbo with steel internals?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
bhp or torque

I'd take a look at the thread on the rolling road results and the discussion on torque versus bhp before you buy a new turbo. I think my preference would be better low end torque if you want to play with it on the road.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I fully understand about the Torque/BHP standoff, I`ve had a Honda Integra with the Vtec engine before which is good BHP but low Torque. Torque is very important and I think its this rather than outright BHP I want. I`ll ook at the thread recommended.

Ah finally a quick thought, if the car I`ve bought has an uprated turbo how could I tell?

Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts