GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a fairly spirited drive this evening I've parked up and noticed the car is leaking an alarming quantity of oil:(
Seems to be coming from somewhere almost central on the undercarriage and not directly beneath the engine, I'm thinking this is transmission fluid but to be honest I'm guessing.
Would be great if somebody could enlighten me and offer suggestions as to what might have caused it.

Not an inspiring first post - sorry...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Any alarming temperautures or low pressure on the dash, i.e. check engine pressure and transmission pressure? Should help you narrow it down.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Archan

Overnight the 'leak' has turned into a tsunami :( All over my driveway.
Fluid is light green which I'm 99% sure is transmission fluid, its still dripping out now 12 hours later!
I suppose the one consolation is at least when I was driving it there was plenty of fluid in the transmission.

·
R35 Section manager
10,922 Posts
Where are you based SteveWuk?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Doesn't sound good. How old is car? How many miles? Did you buy from a reputable dealer?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Purchased privately.
66 plate, 21k miles.
Fortunately a one year Nissan extended warranty was part of the deal.
RAC will be coming on Tuesday to take to Nissan in Aldershot.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Whilst that doesnt make up for how you are feeling it should get it fixed. I had a MY11 and after 6 months there was a 2nd to 3rd gearchange issue in auto, and, after diagnosis, nissan replaced mine with a brand new box. Took a little while to source and install though...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks John
There wasn’t any indication of transmission issues whilst driving.
Will see what the diagnosis is on Tuesday hopefully.

·
R35 Section manager
10,922 Posts
Purchased privately.
66 plate, 21k miles.
Fortunately a one year Nissan extended warranty was part of the deal.
RAC will be coming on Tuesday to take to Nissan in Aldershot.
Fingers crossed its covered in the warranty ok. I've used the Aldershot one before- all fine

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi.I had this happen on a Focus ST i owned years ago,gallons of green slime all over my garage floor,turned out to be aircon fluid, the aircon will dump if pressure is to low,hope thats all it is...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Fingers crossed for an easy issue/fix with minimal collateral damage. Sucks to loose part of the (way too short) season due to mechanical failure. I broke my gearbox in August last year and didnt get the car back for months ergo ended that season early:-(

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DaveC4's reply got me thinking and I have started engine and looked at the MFD display.
Does anybody know where the transmission pressure gauge should normally sit?
Despite the quantity of fluid that has leaked mine still reads about 40%, is that possible?
No warning on the dash about anything when starting the engine, I ran it for around 3 minutes and when I shut it off and looked underneath the dripping fluid had started again.

·
Registered
163 Posts
You can customize all the "gauge" displays. Just need to click on one to replace with another.
I alwys had coolant, engine and trans temp coupled with boost, engine and trans pressure.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You can customize all the "gauge" displays. Just need to click on one to replace with another.
I alwys had coolant, engine and trans temp coupled with boost, engine and trans pressure.
Sorry I should have said 'what the transmission pressure should normally read'
From cold mine reads around 40% which I found surprising given the quantity of what I'm assuming is transmission fluid has leaked.

·
Premium Member
3,326 Posts
Probably worth trying to collect some of the fluid in a small clear container but if its at the back of the car it’s going to be trans fluid leaking.

·
Administrator
31,560 Posts
what does the service history look like? Has the transmission been touched recently?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It has full main dealer history and the transmission fluid was changed at the appointed 36 month interval in November of last year.
Prior to me purchasing for extra peace of mind, I even had the previous owner do the 48 month service ahead of time.
Naturally disappointed that this has happened but anybody can be unlucky I guess.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Probably worth trying to collect some of the fluid in a small clear container but if its at the back of the car it’s going to be trans fluid leaking.
I've done exactly that Barry but like you say little doubt as to what it is.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts