GTR Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having collected by car from Glyn Hopkins at Romford on Monday I am now eagerly waiting completion the run in period! First impressions are very good, the gearbox is the biggest improvement over my previous BMW M5.
I have not had so many people stop and look at a car since I owned a Ferrari 360 a few years ago.
I have a few questions that I would like answers for

Fuel Is it necessary to always run on Super Unleaded.

Service Collection There seems to be confusion if the 1200 mile service qualifies for a collection can anybody confirm this for 2010 cars?
Indeed Glyn Hopkins said it did not and free collection only applies for every second service!

Paint I picked the car up with a small mark and a paint chip, reading previous posts soft paint seems to be an issue that I have not previously had with cars. I am assuming my initial problems will be corrected but soft paint on the car is a worry.

Reversing Sensor The one thing that I thought should have been standard was reversing sensors, are these easy to fit?

Y Pipe Looking at previous posts this appears to be a poplar addition to the car, why do people choose this - more power or better sound? Where is it best to fit these?

Camera Detector/Laser
I have used a Micro Pilot in the past what would you recommend to put in the car, ideally something with updates for live mobile sites?

Richard

2010 Black Edition

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Having collected by car from Glyn Hopkins at Romford on Monday I am now eagerly waiting completion the run in period! First impressions are very good, the gearbox is the biggest improvement over my previous BMW M5.
I have not had so many people stop and look at a car since I owned a Ferrari 360 a few years ago.
I have a few questions that I would like answers for

Fuel Is it necessary to always run on Super Unleaded.

Service Collection There seems to be confusion if the 1200 mile service qualifies for a collection can anybody confirm this for 2010 cars?
Indeed Glyn Hopkins said it did not and free collection only applies for every second service!

Paint I picked the car up with a small mark and a paint chip, reading previous posts soft paint seems to be an issue that I have not previously had with cars. I am assuming my initial problems will be corrected but soft paint on the car is a worry.

Reversing Sensor The one thing that I thought should have been standard was reversing sensors, are these easy to fit?

Y Pipe Looking at previous posts this appears to be a poplar addition to the car, why do people choose this - more power or better sound? Where is it best to fit these?

Camera Detector/Laser
I have used a Micro Pilot in the past what would you recommend to put in the car, ideally something with updates for live mobile sites?

Richard

2010 Black Edition

Good to see cars coming out of GHL, my local dealer

I am sure forum members would like to hear about your buying experience in the ordering section of the forum.

Looking to your questions;

Super unleaded is the way! You wouldn't give Cheryl Cole Astispumante would you ;)

Expect service collection for major services only.

Paint is soft, although seems colour dependent; no problems with my DMG, for example

Reversing sensors are available as retro fit, but people aren't fond of the prophylactic size nissan ones

Y-pipe; several choices ( most popular GTC or Miltek), generally taken for improved sound, although you can add a remap for more power, in conjunction with the pipe

Charles Charlie on here, is your man for laser... and the sensors have been proven as totally invivisble to plod:D

·
Registered
516 Posts
Welcome to the site and I hope you enjoy the car. I swap between an M5 and a GTR at the weekends. The difference in the gearbox is amazing - it shows the progress made since the M5 was launched.

Tesco 99 seems to run well in car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the site and I hope you enjoy the car. I swap between an M5 and a GTR at the weekends. The difference in the gearbox is amazing - it shows the progress made since the M5 was launched.

Tesco 99 seems to run well in car.
I decided to ditch the M5 and use the GTR on a daily basis, I very rarely ran the M5 box in auto but the GTR is night and day better.
I do think the suspension is very hard even in soft mode reminds me of a 996 Turbo that I had a few years ago.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good to see cars coming out of GHL, my local dealer

I am sure forum members would like to hear about your buying experience in the ordering section of the forum.

Looking to your questions;

Reversing sensors are available as retro fit, but people aren't fond of the prophylactic size nissan ones

Y-pipe; several choices ( most popular GTC or Miltek), generally taken for improved sound, although you can add a remap for more power, in conjunction with the pipe

Charles Charlie on here, is your man for laser... and the sensors have been proven as totally invivisble to plod:D
Thanks for the reply.

Does the Y-pipes just come down to cost on GTC or Miltec?

Looking a previous posts cameras appear to be popular but fairly expensive however can save some expensive knocks. Not sure how to compare offerings?

Have sent PM to Charles for advice on garage doors

·
Registered
220 Posts
You get used to the suspension though a few people believed the 1200 mile service sorted out the initial roughness I'd have to say that was subtle!

I toyed with parking sensors - but you can see the rear wing really easily - and that is where the back of the car stops! - the only problem is low level bollards etc, so care before reversing is the watchword

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi,

All the HPCs I have talked to have said they only use Shell VPower.

What do the people on here use?

BP Ultimate is RON 97, Shell VPower is RON 99 - is the Shell worth the little extra?

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

Does the Y-pipes just come down to cost on GTC or Miltec?

Looking a previous posts cameras appear to be popular but fairly expensive however can save some expensive knocks. Not sure how to compare offerings?

Have sent PM to Charles for advice on garage doors

nah they are about same price but Milltek is 76mm, GTC Steel 304 or Titanium 80mm/90mm options

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

I have a camera system fitted at the front and rear, and while expensive it seems the best solution at the moment. You're welcome to have a look at it as I'm based in Essex too.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hi,

BP Ultimate is RON 97, Shell VPower is RON 98 - is the Shell worth the little extra?
97RON :
Bp Ultimate
Sainsburys

99RON
Shell Vpower
Tescos

102RON
BP Ultimate 102

The 102 you will only find at/around race tracks. It will lighten your wallet if nothing else. Shell or Tesco's are the favorite - depends if you are collecting V-points or clubcard points :D

·
Registered
125 Posts
ok cool... Vpower it is.

After that problem they reported with supermarket petrol a year or two ago (I think it was a higher than normal silicon content?) I've never used them...

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Hi,

BP Ultimate is RON 97, Shell VPower is RON 99 - is the Shell worth the little extra?

bet those hpc's havn't seen the stock fuel map :p

If truth be told your probably wasting your money on Shell, the GT-R runs so rich ! and this is the high oct table !

In stock form, the GT-R runs extremely rich (over fuelling) across the RPM range, in particular the turbo spool area at around 2,500->3000 rpm, and so rich after 4,500 rpm, that most Dyno’s Wideband O2 Sensor max out. An overcautious safety condition, typical of most mass produced performance cars. :flame:

·
Registered
198 Posts
bet those hpc's havn't seen the stock fuel map :p

If truth be told your probably wasting your money on Shell, the GT-R runs so rich ! and this is the high oct table !

In stock form, the GT-R runs extremely rich (over fuelling) across the RPM range, in particular the turbo spool area at around 2,500->3000 rpm, and so rich after 4,500 rpm, that most Dyno’s Wideband O2 Sensor max out. An overcautious safety condition, typical of most mass produced performance cars. :flame:

So what to you suggest wise one.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
ye still use 99 shell / tesco / 98 BPU. won't really see any knock or power gains either way

those who go stage 1-2 lean out the afr improving fuel eco and gains.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts