GTR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all.
Today I collected my (first) GT-R from AF Noble. What an epic car.
I've set the rev-limit to 3,000 and, for the next month (until running-in is completed), will be driving Miss Daisy style. To be fair, the timing's not ideal: it'll be run-in just in time for the crappy weather, so I have a set of Dunlop Winters ready to switch to at the Optimisation service. If anyone's interested, Oponeo did a full set for £916 delivered.

Anyway, back the car.... Still epic.
The salesman (John) has been super-helpful throughout. I tested a 2012 car as well as a couple of drives in the 2014 demonstrator. He was very understanding when I arranged a follow-up test drive of the 2014 car so that I could seek out stop-start traffic / rubbish road surfaces and dual-carriageway drudgery. Probably not an every day request but he took it in his stride. Sacrilegious as it is.
(What can I say - this is replacing my S4(B8) as a daily driver so it needs to be liveable)

In the end my shortlist was:
Keep the S4 + buy new Jag F-type V6S
Keep the S4 + buy used AMV8
Trade the S4 for GT-R

I can't believe I swithered for weeks. Doh. With hindsight the GT-R should have been a no-brainer. Untouchable performance, 4WD and 4 seats (to fit the cherubs aged 9 & 11)

Anyway I've had a variety of fairly nippy cars over the years and, without a shadow of doubt, this is the daddy of them all. It even makes the Tuscan S seem tame.

Anyway, that's a long-winded way of saying:
Hello and I look forward to many miles in this work of automotive genius.

Neil

·
Premium Member
2,530 Posts
Welcome to the forum and enjoy the amazing R35!

Get yourself to a meet, event or we even have the AGM later this month which will be a great weekend and a perfect way to run the car in!

·
Premium Member
5,889 Posts
I thought the run\bed in was done at the factory? When I watched the gtr documentary, it said cars where bed in on the factory circuit, so when delivered the car can be taken straight on track etc...

????????

Documentary

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=52Yyo5s9HgQ

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not according to the owners manual, and NHPC.
Run in is in 3 stages:
0-300miles
300-600 miles
600-1200 miles
Then first optimisation service.

Well worth the inconvenience if it results in a stronger engine and properly bedded-in suspension and transmission.

Ps
It's a black one.

·
Premium Member
2,530 Posts
Very true, the car is thrashed / beded in around a track in japan prior to delivery. Unfortunately Nissan UK say another 1200 mile warm up is required or the warranty may be invalid....

·
Registered
377 Posts
I would be pulling my hair out !! LOL but like you say the wait will be worth it when you finally get to hit the loud pedal !! :chuckle: (In a safe and controlled environment of course !)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I keep reminding myself that patience will make unrestricted driving all the sweeter.
And, in the meantime, it's weirdly satisfying to pootle about at 2500rpm. Who'd have thought...?

·
Registered
888 Posts
Hiya Beillynoy & welcome ;-D

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Loving all this loving. Thanks.
I couldn't help but wonder what my current driving style has done for my fuel economy, so I filled up today - with a grand total of 147miles on the car (26miles done in Japan, and 121 miles of tippy-toe driving by me).

After stopping at the first click, with absolutely no topping up I've managed to show

...... [drum roll] .....

346 mile range.

And I have the photo to prove it. Sad but true.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts