GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just got my car back from Abbey with a PowerFC and 600cc injectors.

At 1 bar i'm getting 496bhp
at 1.15 bar i'm getting 515.5bhp

This is on a completely stock bottom end, stock head gasket and stock cams.

To say that i'm very happy is an understatement.

I haven't explored the full potential yet but can't wait for the next top speed / 1.4mile days to see what it'll do.

Mike

:D

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
wicked figures Mike. These power fc's are getting popular now. I really would like one but people who know me know that I have committed a large sum of money to a day next year:(
Oh well, will have to wait.
See you soon mate.:D

·
Registered
338 Posts
Mike,

Those figure look excellent ! :D

Do you mind me asking what Turbo's you are running and what else you have changed on the engine ?

Jez

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
I'd be interested to know about this too.. :cool:

Oil cooler? Intercooler? Other non-stock mods associated/facilitating that amount of BHP'age?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've done most of the external bolt on bits.

2530 turbos, Intercooler, Turbo extension pipes, fuel pump, air filters, adj fuel press reg, downpipes, oil cooler, boost controller, exhaust and of course lost the cat.

There's more detail on my website, but not the new bits yet.
www.turbocharged.demon.co.uk

When I booked the car in for the PowerFC and Inj I was only expecting to see maybe 480-490bhp at 1.25bar so I was very surprised when Mark told me the power outputs.

Mike

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Torque

So is the Torque any good then Ian as I can't stand looking at those dyno charts :) .

glen

·
Registered
182 Posts
Dont take this question the wrong way but can anyone explain the jump in the torque figures between 1 bar (337 lbf-ft) and 1.15(556 lbf-ft). ? Over 220 lbf-ft increase in torque for such a small boost increase,is the first figure correct?. The next question is what does it feel like, all that torque is it usable,

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
an observation

Mike very nice results.

I want to know why there are different drag output coeficients ?,
Looking at some figures i have skyline on 18 inch wheels running
1.33 bar 25\10s middlehurst chip etc etc etc showed 388 at the wheels and had
a drag of 115.5 bhp calculated by TJs wizardry computer showed
517.5 bhp

Then the same type of car not many mods etc etc dont know about wheels etc
produces 515.5 with only 358.5 bhp at wheels but has a drag factor of 143 bhp why the difference, if i applied that figure to the first statement i would end up with 549 bhp.

The numbers game is easy they fly about this board like ping pong balls but thats it they are only numbers and other factors normally unseen affect the ones quoted

I have only ever been interestead in the wheel bhp as this is what it is all measured from

I do wonder if wheel spin is undetected, also as power is measured under load 4wd comes in. On decelleration just free wheeling with clutch depressed power loss coeficient is measured
as 2 wheel drive ( i may be wrong)
So there seems to me to be too many varying parameters for the numbers to be taken seriously, in reality the only true way is to put cars side by side alah santapod and use time as the figure to impress people.

Gary
GT-ART

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Let me get this right

Watcha Gary. Blinding reply.

Let me get this right then. If we cant use a regulary used Dyno as a benchmark how the hell do we know that what we do to improve our cars is actually working. I thought that using the same Dyno was beneficial to us but seems that quite a few extra parameters have to be taken into account. Damn.

Also if we use Santa Pod etc., as a benchmark does this not put the performance of the car down to the ability of the driver to get the full potential out of it and therefore totally blows out any relevant torque figures which a lot of guys of here actually care about.

Now I'm thinking that what we've maybe seen at the DD's perhaps isn't all true or more to the point 'totally correct'. Bugger.

glen

ps. Hopefully see you Sunday :)

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
wheel horsepower

Hi Glen,
understand your veiws of santapod, this surley must
be aceptable to most people though as the intrest in track days and top speed events and santapod its self is massive on this site
so i thought this reflected the ability of the club members with the type of cars we own be it with a bit of practice me included.
Regarding the benchmark side of things with tjs rolling road it is not a problem if the figures were quoted as road horsepower, and torque (tractive effort) would not be a problem as thats what is actually being measured anyway, so all the mods could be recorded each time they are done and using a weather station for air density and humidity and temperature a correction factor could be applied that will stay true to the last regardless of the day.
This would then only leave the wheel spin and wheel size criteria
to over come,
my point is the figures must be repetable and all information accurate,
looking forward to sunday see you there :)
Guy,
sorry i was vague i am talking R33s here i dont want to get into a discussion about the difference between 33 and 34 as they are two different comparables due to gear ratio and roller speed as you well know, the figures they show will be different
due to the measurement being taken at a slower roller speed less tyre deformation and loss to friction etc, but again still measurable at the wheels,
to give tractive effort results and if speed was recorded comparisoms could be made,
now regarding the point i am making,
if i use my car as an example i have 11 dyno sheets different times from tj but the drag co varies from 122 to 157.5 in the space of 20 minutes on the same day so where can i draw a conclusion as to what my power is,
with this much variation ?

Gary
GT-ART

·
Registered
189 Posts
helllo mike excellent figures u got there u must be well chuffed!i am also from birmingham and was wondering would u be kind enuf to take me for a spin in your car when u have some spare time?just want to see how a well modded skyline feels.thanks umran!:( :D

3,665 Posts
M.smith dyno figures

Horsepower run down or drag :

all cars are different , due to a number of figures

1. temperatures of ;
bearings in rolling road
tyres [pressures]
driveshafts joints, differentials, g/boxes
viscosity of oils used in above.

a car and it,s components can cool down considerable or even have a lot of heat soak when turned off {not running} between dyno runs.
The difference in the 2 runs for Mike Smith car is due to the 1 bar graph was the 2nd run and the 1.15 bar graph was the 8 run the car gearbox etc would be a lot hotter on the 8th run than on the 2nd run so having less DRAG.
358 bhp is not bad at the wheels considering the car only had 280 bhp at the flywheel standard, and the car has not got the shuffles!

Mark Gillam

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My car had standard 17" wheels which I use during the winter for the 2 runs which Abbey did, it will be interesting to see the differences at the next dyno day when I run the same boost but with my 19" wheels on.

I only had a 128bhp loss on them at the last dyno day I went to (430bhp flywheel, 290bhp wheels) so we can see if it's consistent with lower losses.

Mike.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Congrats on the dyno runs.

I have a question though... :)

On the 1Bar Dyno Run the p-wheel is 331.0bhp .....well.... my Wheel HP is 332.3 which is basically the same...

So, do I also make 496ish hp? If so, this is the best news I have heard yet!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts