GTR Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Mike,

Out of interest are you now running the PowerFC alongside your AVC-R? If so, can the PowerFC monitor/control boost using it? Having had a brief search around the web it seems opinion is split over whether or not one should opt for the boost controller module designed for the PowerFC (which is apparently "ok", but not as good as the AVC-R), or to use an aftermarket boost controller (which I presumed wouldn't be controllable via the PFC commander unit).

Reason I ask is that I am going to need a boost controller soon, and I was looking at the AVC-R myself - but if its possible to get the PowerFC/commander (complete with knock sensors, etc) and use that with the AVC-R then Im guessing that would be a better option? (instead of getting both the AVC-R and the S-AFR).

Is it relatively safe to use just an AVC-R (or other boost controller) without a air/fuel controller (eg. S-AFR) or does that really only come into play with boost above 1.2 bar?

(As far as I know I'm currently running 412bhp @ 1.2 bar)

So many questions :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hi Durzel,

Sorry it's took a few days before replying i've been away for a couple of days.

I'll try and answer the questions to the best of my knowledge / experience (but remember i'm not actually a qualified tuner ;) )

I used to use only the AVC-R without an a/f adjuster at up to 1.2bar on the 1/4mile, but it was very borderline and wouldn't run on the rollers or on the track safely at that setting, was ok at 1bar though. I did however already have a mines vx-rom ecu which I didn't know about at the time so i'm not sure about the standard setup.

The powerFC can control the boost itself with it's module, but I don't think the boost is very mappable compared to the AVC-R.
The powerFC will work happily with any boost controller i think, not only the Apexi ones.

The AVC-R isn't controllable via the powerFC, it is completely independant.

Hope this helps,
Mike.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hi GTuned,

Thats a good Wheels HP figure :) Have you done any timed testing 0-60 / 0-100mph or 1/4 mile ?

It's hard to get a flywheel figure from just a wheels power figure as so many factors can affect the drag when the run was completed such as the following :

Tyre pressure
Gearbox Oil temp
Type of dyno equip

and many other factors I can't remember.

The drag during my runs was quite high, but i'll be running again with my larger wheels which may lower the drag and bring up the power at the wheels a bit (hopefully)

Regards,
Mike.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply. I visited you website after I read your post and I must say, very impressive spec-list. I like the way you presented your mods in "stage" format. Keep it up!

Unfortunately, I have never tested my car in the 1/4 or 0-60, and the chances of it ever being dynoed again are rather slim.

See, the day I went to see the car to buy it, we took it for a run on the dyno (in Glasgow)...Now, the car is over here (in Cyprus) and to the best of my knowledge there are no dynos or even drag-strips (official ones at least ;-) )

I am sure that I will be able to get some ballpark figures in the future, but I was extremely interested in your dyno run, 'coz the wheel hp seemed so close, and it seems like your tuners know what they are doing!
Best of luck with future mods, and keep us updated!

Thanks,
Guy (GTuned)

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
I'll second that, I found your webpage - especially the modification history in relation to "real world" results you were getting at the 'Pod to be a valuable and very interesting resource. I've already watched all of the movies in your Multimedia section :)

I imagine I will probably follow a similar power route to yourself, so it was refreshing to see actual BHP improvements measured as each stage was carried out.

·
Registered
133 Posts
2530 upgrade.

hi mikeR33,

nice modification history on your homepage........i think i'm in stage 5 but not yet completed (already hv intercooler & oil cooler)

i'm going to order the 2530 kit next month....and i think i'll get the power fc to replace my vx-rom as well.......

pls. advise must i get the following all at the same time in order to run the new turbos (injectors, fuel pump, fuel regulator & air flow meters)

michael.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hi Michael,

You should be ok with just the turbos as long as you only run at 1bar with the current vx-rom.
If you have the powerFC as well then it won't be any problem at all as it can be set to take account of the higher flow rate of the 2530's.

Until you get the other bits (inj, pump, reg etc) you won't be able to make full use of the 2530's though. Also you won't be able to push much past 500bhp with these bits unless you start to do some internal bits which is where I am currently, however it seems to get really expensive at this point :(

Regards,
Mike

·
Registered
133 Posts
1 bar

hi mike,

tks. for your prompt reply.

Three stupid questions:
i'm running 1.1 bar on my standard turbo with vx-rom with no problem.

(1) say if i get the 2530 and still using my vx-rom as you said, is that ok if i run 1.1 bar on the 2530 too??

(2) is 1.1 bar on standard turbo power SAME as 1.1 bar on 2530??
(without the inj, fuel pump.....etc)

(3) if i get the power fc too, how much bar can i run???
(without the inj, fuel pump.....etc)

michael

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Hi Michael,

I would only run at 1bar on the 2530 and vx-rom as the flow rate of the 2530 is much higher and the mixture under full throttle will prob be a bit lean. On the dyno at 1 bar my car was at borderline det so couldn't run higher, for short bursts I had been known to run at 1.2bar ;) (not for a long duration though).

Your power on the 2530's will prob be 30-50bhp higher than on the stock turbos, at 1 bar the 2530's will prob feel much quicker that the stock turbos were at 1.1bar (mine certainly did).

Once you are running a powerfc mapped properly then i'm not sure how much you will be able to run, but due to the way it's mapped it should be set up safely with no det probs. I would expect to be able to get about 450-480bhp before the inj replacement as the stock ones would prob be very maxed at this power.

I would get in touch with one of the tuners for a more accurate answer to these questions as i'm only going from my own experience. Give Mark, Gary or Rod a call and they should be able to confirm or correct my views.

Cheers,
Mike

21 - 31 of 31 Posts