GTR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked my new R33 GTR shell up from the importer in Newcastle Upon Tyne on Saturday and delivered it to Safety Devices this morning at 9.00 AM for a full seam weld, and a multi point FIA spec weld in cage. The photos were taken outside one of their premises. Not many new shells left now, I would think, took 18 months to find it....

IrfanView HTML-Thumbnails

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
jesus chris you like to give yirself a bit of work dont you?

what's it for? timeattack?

what's the spec gonna be?

c'mon dont keep us in suspence

Alex

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Must be only one in the world without rusty turret tops! :chuckle:

Looking forward to seeing progress on this project - hope you update us regularly with pics :D

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Wonder if theres any R32 GTR shells left? Now that would be cool!!!!
:D
looking great Chris!!!
:)
bob

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Wonder if theres any R32 GTR shells left? Now that would be cool!!!!
:D
looking great Chris!!!
:)
bob
Or at least one that doesn't have crushed floor stays.....Everyone I've seen has some undercar damage from hoists!:bawling:

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was on Japanese Ebay. It's just a fun track car that I may run in the North West Sports / GT champiomship. I bought a 33 shell as I have loads of 33 bits, and a modded 33GTS-t. The new shell will built as a RWD car like the GTS-t, with light weight in mind. My GTS-t has no box section or sill return damage at all. That too took ages to find. I think if you look for autos and convert them they usually have had a much quieter life. Nissan used thin material to keep the weight of these things half reasonable. A proper cage will add a lot, but also stiffen up what is like a wet paper bag as stock. It'll be at Safety Devices for several week, they are busy, I am in no rush, too many other paying jobs to finish to make money for these little projects of mine :)

If someone can't jack or put a Skyline on a 2 poster ramp without ANY damage they should leave them alone. It's simple, just needs a bit of care and forethought. Both can be rare commodities these days, however :(

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
man, wish i could have found a new shell. any thoughts on getting it chemically stripped and zinc dipped after the cage is in? theres a classic car place that does it but unsure of costs involved. and appart from the areas where the cage is fixed, unsure of what advatages/disadvantages there would be over a new factory coating.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, they'll fully repaint the interior and cage in white, and any seam welding externally. I may get this existing shell dipped and dipped though, as it's still very very free of corrosion.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
i know...i've never seen one without any dents on the beams...
btw: anyways to fix and improve that beam, so that it won't dent from using the hoists ?
Yeah, They all seem to be damaged in Japan befor they get here.

You could improve the beem by making larger jacking points, But it would need to be Cert'ed (in NZ anyway) as you are modifing the chassis.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts