GTR Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new owner here of the skyline.

I've always been into Japanese cars, just sold my impreza wrx sti JDM tonight so feeling a bit gutted but excited with my new purchase!

Just thought I'd say hey! I'm from Milton Keynes area so I think the closest place to do work is knight racer in Bletchley.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Quite a change in driving feel and handling from a newage sti to a gtr. At high speed you'll feel far more secure in the gtr. Not as nice to drive around town but better in every other way

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Picture

Hey guys, would be more than happy to share pictures of my car but the website doesn't allow me to do this until I have reached a certain amount of posts.

As soon as I've reached 15 posts, I will show some pictures of my car.

Sorry..

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hey guys, would be more than happy to share pictures of my car but the website doesn't allow me to do this until I have reached a certain amount of posts.

As soon as I've reached 15 posts, I will show some pictures of my car.

Sorry..
Welcome mate only had my car just over a week and luvin it, split the spec over the posts and you will soon reach 15 then you can post pics :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was driving a version 6 classic JDM STi, it was running a safe 340bhp and 345ft lbs on the dyno with the modifications being: -

• Uprated fuel pump
    Injectors
    Uprated oil pump
    Mapped by bob rawle

I found the classic handled really well compared to the newer models, especially with the geometry that I had set up on it. I didn't run it hard or at any higher horse power because the sti v6 box on a jdm is pushing it at 340 if driven without mechanical sympathy so I didn't want it to go any further.

With regards to the skyline, handling is amazing. The skyline seems to grip the road and feels so much more like it's on rails. I had the Subaru set up so that the rear wheels would lighten up on corners as I liked to flick it around a little.

·
Registered
9,768 Posts
Closest place is on your driveway mate, then Knight Racer after that ;)

Congrats and welcome though, get some more posts under your belt and put some pics up!
Indeed the drive way can be your best friend when it comes to stopping your wallet becoming empty fast;) choose your tuners wisely best advise I can give you.

If that is your car in the avatar looks nice mate! Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, that's her. I take great care to keep clean and tidy, both internally and externally. Very nice condition and some decent modifications.

As far as tuning goes, I've been doing the maps with my friend and I, in fact we fixed an issue with hot start by adjusting cranking ms earlier and inj vs air temp. I intend to get more proficient at it and I'm also monitoring and logging all of my trips onto my laptop. I've got the necessary equipment and I'm happy with the current mapping.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Bought it from a friend, private sale. Not been in the country long, imported a few hundred miles ago.

I'm not sure how open people are to what has been done to their car on here. I feel like I'd like to play it by ear for now. I'm quite a sensible driver and never tolerate racing on the streets. I do enjoy going to the track with friends although I've only been on events where the track has been privately hired, which I feel is where the car is given the opportunity to run full out. For the road I just potter around a couple miles below the speed limit :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm not really too knowledgable about these cars but that's going to change over the upcoming months/years.

Had the Subaru for a good amount of time and sold her to a good home. If you're asking about the current car, it's an R33 GT-R. It's had a new turbo, intercooler and some of the supporting modifications. I have all the documentation and I'm happy with everything that has been done to it.

She's currently locked up in my garage awaiting her new cat1 alarm/immobiliser to be fitted. I've gone for all of the additional trimmings like the tilt sensor, glass break etc as I had these on my impreza. Didn't have any false positives either so getting the same system :)

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Quick update on Chris's car as he payed us a visit to the Z unit at the weekend to run a boost leak/smoke test on the car
and also fit new Nissan cam cover gaskets and half moons to help with an oil leak he was having at the back of the block.

All I can say is wow what a car!!!:bowdown1:

Had a really good look over the car pre testing whilst it was on the ramp and its sooooo clean underneath!
a few bits and pieces we discussed with Chris for the future but generally the car has been built really really well with no expense spared, at all!:wavey:

That turbo!!!!!!:runaway: GT42 as Chris said would swallow up puppy dogs if they got anywhere near by!

We started by removing the filter and blocking off ready for boost leak testing.

Smoke tester ready, works so well, so important for turbo cars to get checked to make sure they are on point.

With the tester connected and the required parts blocked we start the CSI investigation.:cool:

There were quite a few major leaks, mostly from intercooler pipework, you can see here the light from the laser trail
through the smoke released by the leak.

There we a handful of good sized leaks we fixed, we managed to get Chris's flow/leak percentage down to a really good level,
better and more stable than others we've tested. A nice tight setup now.

The other job we tackled for Chris was a replacement of the cam cover gaskets.

Clean up of the covers before fitting the new gaskets and half moons.

Chris is a very clever chap and it was great talking to him about him doing his own mapping on his car,
being able to check this sort of stuff your self must be so satisfying and rewarding!

Chris took Jay out for a spin in his 33 before he left us for home, I've never, ever seen a smile as big on Jay's face!:D:bowdown1::chuckle:

:thumbsup:
bob

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's almost a shame that I have her detuned so much but it's the safest thing to do for road use.

450hp is enough to keep me smiling :)

Might be heading up to the track on Friday near Sheffield to watch my friend race around the track in his evo so I may play around with the tune then and have a play on private land but most of the time I'm just happy with what I've got.

Big thanks to zealou5 for the jobs!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.