GTR Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well lads.i replaced the starter motor on my r33 and put in a brand spanking new battery and the car still wont start.

it will barely turn the starter if you know what i mean.

i have heard that the Alternator charges through the starter on gtr's, could the alternator be my problem now?

any help appreciated as usual lads.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
or in 4th gear can you push the car a few feet to turn the engine over? You need to know if the engine is as free to turn as it should be.

Did you charge the new battery at all? it may not be fully charged. Do you have a battery charger or jump leads?

Also when turning the engine over on the key turn the headlights on and see if they dim significantly or if the dash lights dim significantly to get an idea of the curent being used. If they almost go out either your drawing mases of current trying to turn a tight engine or the battery is low on charge.

Also check the cables to the starter and earth in the boot - are they getting especially hot when trying to turn the engine over?

Next task, you could remove the spark plugs and it should spin freely on the starter.

Or join the AA...

The alternator charges the battery when the engine is running won't afect starting if the battery is good.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Battery is good and the engine turns over! if i bump start the car in 2nd gear it will start!
it sounds like a bad earth or similar!

the starter turns very very slowly(way to slow to start the car!)

·
Premium Member
8,835 Posts
LOL a Distributer what that !! Old hat m8

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Try using a jump lead from the engine to body, if it makes a difference you know you've a bad earth to the engine.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
If I had of seen this sooner, I could've said that from the start. I recently refitted my entire engine and had exactly the same fault and mine turned out to be a bad earth as well.
Glad you got it sorted though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts