GTR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have just joined and am very much interested in buying a R35 GTR to take on track days.

I come from a Racing background so a car suited for the track is what i have in mind.

Also would be good to know what sort of power is best suitable for track days.

Any advice or directions would be mostly appreciated .

Regards,

Kourosh Khani

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
I've only done 1 track day so far but I found the stage 4 with de-catted downpipes (650hp & 600ft/lbs) to be good fun, especially as it was a frosty Novemver morning :D

Oh & welcome to the forum :p

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Hi Kourosh and welcome to the forum.

I've tracked my GTR numerous times over its 5 year life and it's great fun on track. Few Uk tracks afford the ability to really open up 600hp+ so even a standard R35 will mush most cars on track (save for lightweight purpose built track cars).

You should be well aware though that the R35 is a heavy old gal and eats brakes and tyres on track. Also transmission temps get high pretty quickly and can limit your fun unless you get a cooler.

Tyres can cost from £1100 to £2500 per set, similar money for brakes, and fluid for your trans can be gotten cheaper than NIssan's £600 change by using Pentosin FFL4 or Racing.

Either way whilst I love my R35 on track, there are cheaper and potentially more fun cars if a track toy is what you're after.

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
Welcome to the forum Kourosh I am sure you will be able to make good user of the GTR power and handling with your racing experience!

Aim for around 600-650 tops and focus more on suspension, braking and setup and you will have a potent track car. Do not get too drawn into big bhp numbers because most of it is wasted for track use.

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
Aim for around 600-650 tops and focus more on suspension, braking and setup and you will have a potent track car. Do not get too drawn into big bhp numbers because most of it is wasted for track use.
This. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the Info.
My options are still wide open and I could go for any other suitable options.

I do put them tyres and breaks under pressure and im sure thats gonna be effecting the wallet :)

Any advice on what better options I have as you have lots of track day experience.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is what i was thinking and Too much Horse Power could mean more sideways action and waste of tyres on a track day.

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
May be buy an R32 and R33 GTR strip it out down to about 1300kgs remove interior, air con, Hicas etc upgrade suspension and brakes, run it on proper slicks that would be one hell of a track car with 650 bhp. If you insist on an R35 why not see if you can attend a track day and speak to some members you may able to get a ride and see how they perform.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ref to Big BHP..............I'm sure I don't need to mention that the throttle is progressive ;)
Indeeeed. :)
you want that right foot down to the floor as soon as possible to get maximum speed at the exit of the corner so sometimes less HP means "quicker" and saves tyres :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
May be buy an R32 and R33 GTR strip it out down to about 1300kgs remove interior, air con, Hicas etc upgrade suspension and brakes, run it on proper slicks that would be one hell of a track car with 650 bhp. If you insist on an R35 why not see if you can attend a track day and speak to some members you may able to get a ride and see how they perform.
This is a possibility and great advice. Thanks.
As I said I have my options wide open.
Any idea of any good track days i can go to so there are lots of GTR's about.
It's a good idea to see the action in person and maybe experience it before buying one.

·
Premium Member
3,383 Posts
This is a possibility and great advice. Thanks.
As I said I have my options wide open.
Any idea of any good track days i can go to so there are lots of GTR's about.
It's a good idea to see the action in person and maybe experience it before buying one.
Kourosh get along to Castle Combe on 28th March. There is a Sprint meeting taking place which should have a good number of GTRs in various stages of tune. I'm sure you will be able to get a few passenger rides also so bring your race helmet.

·
Premium Member
8,829 Posts
Hi Kourosh and welcome to the forum.

I've tracked my GTR numerous times over its 5 year life and it's great fun on track. Few Uk tracks afford the ability to really open up 600hp+ so even a standard R35 will mush most cars on track (save for lightweight purpose built track cars).

You should be well aware though that the R35 is a heavy old gal and eats brakes and tyres on track. Also transmission temps get high pretty quickly and can limit your fun unless you get a cooler.

Tyres can cost from £1100 to £2500 per set, similar money for brakes, and fluid for your trans can be gotten cheaper than NIssan's £600 change by using Pentosin FFL4 or Racing.

Either way whilst I love my R35 on track, there are cheaper and potentially more fun cars if a track toy is what you're after.
Welcome Kourosh

Oh and the running costs on track about 5mpg !!! on road about 18 to 22 depending on your right foot:runaway:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts