GTR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone

As the title suggest I am new to this board, although I have been reading it for a while, as I realised not so long ago that 1 of my dream cars (an R33) was within my grasp, but this has raised a few questions, which I am sure you have heard a thousand times before, sorry!

Firstly, the car itself. I would like a GT-R R33, I love them! I have seen them priced from £16k up, and have been told (thanks BLOWDOG) the 18k will get a very good one. Where is the best place to buy? A dealer or privately? What do you need to look for?

Insurance - Directline have quoted me £1200 (30 years old, full no claims, parked on a drive, 13k miles a year, relatively low risk area) is this good?

Security - I know this has been done to death, but what is best? After reading about the scum that tried to steal BLOWDOG's badges, wiring it up to the mains sounds appropriate!

What are the best driving courses to do? I m coming from a 115bhp Golf! I need help.

Where do you get them serviced? I assume a bog standard Nissan dealership ain't up to the job!

I read in Japanese Performance mag about the rolling road day at Tuning Japanese and read about "detonating" probs a few times, what is this exactly?

What's the best thing about driving them? ;)

I think I will leave it there for now, I have loads more questions, but don't want to waste anyones time unnecacerrily (sp?).

I live in Fleet, Hants, are there any local meetings?

Please feel free to mail me off line.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
welcome to the fold !!
I put your message into mine as there are a lot of points to cover..

Firstly, the car itself. I would like a GT-R R33, I love them! I have seen them priced from £16k up, and have been told (thanks BLOWDOG) the 18k will get a very good one. Where is the best place to buy? A dealer or privately? What do you need to look for?
I bought mine through a dealer but you wont get a dealer to give you a 33 for 16k. so go private.
look for white smoke, if it is a V-spec check the rear diff has cooling vents on it (if smooth it aint a vspec.)
if you are prepared to take the chance a ready modded car could save you a lot of money but make sure the mods are documented and backed up with dyno sheets etc..
check the engine / chassis plate see if it looks played with, make sure the seatbelt tags have a date which corresponds to the date of the car (this is a sign that the car has been "rung")
look at a few to compare them.
Come along to the meet at the grasshopper and chat with the fellas.

Insurance - Directline have quoted me £1200 (30 years old, full no claims, parked on a drive, 13k miles a year, relatively low risk area) is this good? 27 years old 7000 miles a year 1100 from direct line, parked on drive with cat 1 and a tracker. when I told them about the mods they upped it to 1700 quid, I only plan to tell them about mods which are visible.

Security - I know this has been done to death, but what is best? After reading about the scum that tried to steal BLOWDOG's badges, wiring it up to the mains sounds appropriate!
Cat 1 and a tracker will probably be required by D/L insurance.

What are the best driving courses to do? I m coming from a 115bhp Golf! I need help.

Track days !! I came from a 170 bhp Primera GT and had never driven a turbo car before the skyline.
as you can imagine I am crap but getting better ;)

Where do you get them serviced? I assume a bog standard Nissan dealership ain't up to the job!

Depends on your nissan dealership, some can't even get a windscreen wiper blade. My best mate happens to be a mechanic in a nissan dealership and they are excellent up there, but the more delicate tuning is best done by the "experts".

I read in Japanese Performance mag about the rolling road day at Tuning Japanese and read about "detonating" probs a few times, what is this exactly?

Detonating will be better explained by others but it is basically when your ignition timing is too far advanced and it causes the cylinder to fire before the piston is in the correct place, this causes "knock" and can quickly F$&k an engine. damage occours to the bottom end. you cannot necessarily tell if it is happening without proper tools/test equipment. (some ecu's have a knock sensor output on them (power fc for example)

What's the best thing about driving them?

you will know when you drive one !!
in a simple phrase they have "grin factor " and I grin like a wanking jap whan I am driving mine !!:D

I think I will leave it there for now, I have loads more questions, but don't want to waste anyones time unnecacerrily (sp?).

I live in Fleet, Hants, are there any local meetings?
boxhill this weekend grasshopper (near oxted) next weekend. this weekend is a JAP uk meet.

hope this helps...

Steve

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steve

Thanks so much for your reply, it is very informative, and helpfull. I think I will try and make the Grasshopper next weekend, I think I know where it is.

Are you going to the Grasshopper meet?

I have a load more wuestions, but will leave them till Monday ;)

I need one of these cars!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I will be going along.
I am also going to the boxhill meet tomorrow.
feel free to ask away, if the questions have already been asked then people will point you off to previous threads.

all cars should have a red emblem on them !!:smokin:

How far is fleet from west sussex ? my geography is crap.

cheers
Steve

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SteveC

Not as crap as mine!! Basically, I am J4A off the M3, I think the Grasshopper is off J6 M25? I think about 50 ish miles to there?

Sorry for my ignorance, is the red emblem the GT-R ?? :D

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Mike
Check it out completely before handing your cash over.
And remember HPI only is valid in this country from the date it aquirred it english registration.
If you can get it checked on the interpole computer.
Don,t mean to worry you but its piece of mind in the end.
Best regards Alan :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
Mike

I live in Fleet also, and don't know of anyone else with a GT-R here....so you'll be spoiling my monopoly if you get one :D

PM me if you want to meet and discuss your queries,

Rgds

Chris

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for your replies :D

I have PM'd you chris, thanks.

I have a few more questions, which I shall be posting shortly.

I am hoping to make the Grasshopper on Saturday, If I can't (I still have done NO xmas shopping!) When is the next local meet?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts