GTR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys & girls, i'm new to both this forum and the gtr world! I've recently picked up an 1989 Imported r32 gtr, 133,000km's on the clock, it's stock as a rock apart from engineered coilovers, it has a few small picky things that needs to be fixed but nothing that affects the car mechanically or how it performs.

I'm from australia so i hope that isn't an issue? Im just trying to get a bit of an insight from a wider range of people.

The car was imported in 2006, and since then was garaged for at least 5 of those years as the previous owner was always away for work, the front turbo was replaced, upon replacement the rear was inspected for any play/general wear but it seemed to be almost perfect!

I'll be having a major service completed on the car as well as a tune just so I have piece of mind that the car will perform flawlessly for general use, and so I know everything is fresh for once i start to modify it.

If anyone has any advice, or hints/tips for me it would be greatly appreciated

2 quick pic's, nothing special, will get a couple decent photos taken soon,
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
202 Posts

Hi & welcome, I'm new too, only had my R33 GTR for a couple of months now.
Lovely example of a R32 you have there:smokin:

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Hi nice stock looking 32 you have
I would recommend replacing turbo,s as i have seen many now even with low mileage let go and wreck the engine.
Get some new 28/60 type ones and have the peace of mind .

·
Registered
9,654 Posts
Welcome, welcome, welcome.

With a stock car there will be three schools of thought. Apart from Ron's advice at RK Tuning there will be those on the first school that say keep it as it is!

The second school of thought is mild modification to just improve on the manufacturers parts - ie. strengthen the weak points.

The last school of thought is full on modify the car with a goal in mind - drag car, track car, street machine etc.

From the two photos it's looks in lovely condition!

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
As speed merchant says there are three different degrees of thought or to quote 'schools of thought'
As with any school, you move up a class so before you know it you will likely be chasing the third school of thought :D

·
Registered
325 Posts
Alarm/immobiliser + steering wheel club lock?????
Comp. insurance???
Tracker???
These cars are stolen at an amazing rate lately and it's vary rare to see any recovered.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi nice stock looking 32 you have
I would recommend replacing turbo,s as i have seen many now even with low mileage let go and wreck the engine.
Get some new 28/60 type ones and have the peace of mind .
Thanks! That, besides a complete service, was the first thing on my list, replace the stock turbo's with 2860-7's.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Beautiful:) best colour too!

What are your plans with it?
It's definitely my favorite color within the 32 gtr range, thanks!

So far, just to replace/modify all existing parts that are known to fail, as I want it to be an all rounder, so street, with the ability to take a flogging on the track for time attack! & hopefully enter hill climbs once i'm confident the car is fit to take a beating.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Welcome, welcome, welcome.

With a stock car there will be three schools of thought. Apart from Ron's advice at RK Tuning there will be those on the first school that say keep it as it is!

The second school of thought is mild modification to just improve on the manufacturers parts - ie. strengthen the weak points.

The last school of thought is full on modify the car with a goal in mind - drag car, track car, street machine etc.

From the two photos it's looks in lovely condition!
Thanks!

So far, I don't have a direct insight on what I exactly want to do, but the current plan is to, as i stated above in another comment, replace known failing components, strengthen anything I can to be suited for some hard track-work with the ability to drive it on the street and not draw the wrong attention from law enforcement, but in saying that, it's only early days!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alarm/immobiliser + steering wheel club lock?????
Comp. insurance???
Tracker???
These cars are stolen at an amazing rate lately and it's vary rare to see any recovered.
Your not wrong! these cars are targeted, but i've taken all measures to make sure its protected as best i can (without taking out the motor haha)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Had a major service carried out just for my own piece of mind, only things found were, the rough idle is being caused by cylinder 2, but its only on idle, upon heavy boosting/normal driving the car feels fine, will be checking coilpacks/injectors when i can, hopefully its nothing major.

I also bought a new battery as the old one was shagged, struggled to start the car as it had been sitting there for a while, now here's the real problem, within 1 1/2 days the battery went flat.

A friend of mine is an apprentice auto elec, he had a quick look with limited tools/time in the garage and is fairly sure its not the starter or alternator. We jump started the car and it ran, but as soon as you turn it off you can't turn it back on, it just won't crank over at all, has anybody had this problem/know of the problem? Any hints/tips are much appreciated!

Thanks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts