GTR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i recently got a set of turbodynamics turbos rebuilt with larger housing not exactly sure on the size. But at 4300rpm its boosting 19psi by 6000rpm its only boosting 15psi and at 7000 its only boosting 14psi

its making 30 more hp than the stock turbos with less boost at high revs. So the larger housing are definatly doing something

the garage i got the work done at reckon the turbos should be able to hold 18psi to 7000rpm. They think my boost controller its a gizzmo is not up to the job and i should get a greddy profec b 2. Has anyone else had problem with a gizzmo boost controller?

But with the stock turbos the gizzmo was holding 14.5psi to 7500rpm no problem so i am thinking that maybe the new turbos actuators are shit?

any one else had to change a boost controller after a turbo swap?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Id junk the gizzmo.. i had no end of problems with it.. couldnt get it to hold stable boost and trust me i tried all sorts of comibnation of open loop / closed loop etc and until recent promotion I was a Typoon Avionics test engineer so I'm not some noob who doesnt know much about control laws are rigorous testing to set things up... the boost just wouldnt hold across the revs

Swapped to an apexi avcr and even without using any of its fancier learnig modes (which I do use) it held boost immediately.

I just dont think Gizzmos are very good and controlling boost on anthing making substantial power..

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
okay thanks for confirming the gizzmo boost controller is shit. i will get a different boost controller was thinking of getting greddy profec b 2 or apexi avcr

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea got a apexi ecu remaped on a dyno. i aslo have 550cc injectors and tomei fuel pump fitted aswell

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
i am not 100% sure i just know its got steel wheels and larger than standard housing.

when i sent them to get checked they said the housings were cracked. and they asked if wanted it rebuilt with larger housing or standard i went for the larger housings

3,665 Posts
Sounds like the turbo's are walking out of the efficieny area at high RPM.

Are you using stock actuators?

What is the base boost pressure?

Are you also using stock mafs?

Are you using open or closed control with the Gizzmo?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi i am using stock mafs i was hoping to get close to 460-480hp so thought they might be okay.

i am not sure what the actuators are i presume they are standard. i phoned wallace perfomance today to try and find out exactly what the housing sizes are and what actuators are on the turbos. but havent heard back yet

i have no idea about the gizzmo setting. hopefully the turbos arent maxing out at high revs they are not even making 1 bar at 7k

3,665 Posts
You be lucky to make 460bhp tbh on stock MAFS

What exhaust yiu using and are you running stock downpipes? Also are you running a de-cat?

Stock actuators will struggle as running bis boost the pressure in the exhaust housing is enough to blow the wastegates open.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts