GTR Forum banner

New VQ35HR engine for V36 Skyline

3K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  skylineGTR_Guy 
#1 ·

TOKYO (Aug. 22, 2006)--Nissan Motor Co., Ltd., has newly developed two new-generation six-cylinder V-type engines for front-engine, rear-wheel-drive vehicles featuring powerful performance and improved environmental friendliness.

The 3.5L VQ35HR and 2.5L VQ25HR engines will be built at Nissan's Iwaki Plant in Fukushima Prefecture and will be equipped in the all-new Skyline to be released this autumn in Japan, as well as the US where the model is sold as the Infiniti G35.

Featuring newly designed engine blocks and other key components, the engines offer smooth transition to top-in-class level engine speed of 7,500 revolutions per minute drawing upon the "smooth transition" concept of the popular VQ engine, the only engine in the world to appear on Ward's 10-Best Engines list for 12 consecutive years.

The engines achieve a 10% improvement in fuel efficiency compared to vehicles equipped with the existing VQ engine and top-in-class Super Ultra-Low Emission Vehicle level emissions. SU-LEVs have 75% or less nitrogen oxide (NOx) and hydrocarbon (HC) emissions than those stipulated by Japan's 2005 exhaust emission standards.

The letters "HR" in VQ35HR and VQ25HR stand for "high revolution" and "high response."

Nissan began VQ engine production in 1994 and has produced a cumulative total of 5.5 million units as of last fiscal year, ended March 31, 2006.

Main specifications of the VQ35HR and VQ25HR engines:

Smooth transition to top-in-class level engine speed of 7,500 rpm

Reduction of weight and friction through adoption of asymetrical piston skirt configuration
Reduction of piston-side force through lengthening of con rod
Addition of rudder frame, newly-designed cylinder block with significantly improved rigidity
Thrilling revving sound and top-in-class output

Adoption of perfectly symmetrical intake system
Adoption of continuously variable valve timing control (CVTC) for intake side and electromagnetic valve timing control (e-VTC) for exhaust side
Reduction of intake resistance through adoption of symmetrical twin intake system and straight intake port
Adoption of isometric exhaust manifold and perfectly symmetrical exhaust system
Improvement of fuel-efficiency and emission cleanliness

Reduction of friction through adoption of world's first hydrogen-free, diamond-like carbon (DLC) coating
Adoption of catalyst substrate with ultra-low heat mass, super-ignition iridium spark plug and fast light-off O2 sensor control

-----
-----

This engine will be dropped into the Z33 from Jan/Feb next year as well as the new V36 Skyline Coupe (march/april). Said to develop 320+ PS. Notice the twin plenum design with twin AFM. Now all they have to do is completely drop those absolutely pointless and silly CVT transmissions which absolutely spoil any car they are fitted to.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for the info Dino.:)

First the 4 door Skyline will come out,no? The nice looking coupe was still a concept (the new Infiniti G).
When does that coupe come out? It's nice to see new engines with more then 280PS, why did they abandon the 280PS gentleman agreement?
I think the jap. makers are still going up slowly in power. (Crown 3.5, Fuga V8, now the new VQs . . . when I think what 1.6 or 2.0 n/a 4 Zylinder engines achieved in power figures in the last 15years in japan , why are the 6 and 8 cylinders n/a still turning around the 300PS scale . . .why?:runaway:

#4 ·
For the GT-R it's going to have to be turbocharged if it's going to compete with the new M3 due out in a year-and-a-half or so. It'll be slap in the same price bracket so I suspect that anything less than 350bhp ain't gonna cut the mustard given it's competition, which precludes a N/A 3.5 V6 unless you strap a couple of tubbies to it :)

#6 ·
gtrlux said:
Thanks for the info Dino.:)

First the 4 door Skyline will come out,no? The nice looking coupe was still a concept (the new Infiniti G).
When does that coupe come out? It's nice to see new engines with more then 280PS, why did they abandon the 280PS gentleman agreement?
i read that they abandoned the agreement, because of the inclusion of Mercedes Benz and BMW in the Japan Market, obviously the germans offer more powerful models in the same engine range. so to be competitive they dropped it. The first Nissan in the new range of power was the 06 Fairlady Z with 300PS . i would expect the V36´s motor to be in that range. ( i hope so)

im curious , will be the new V36 the Infiniti Coupe Concept?

#7 ·
Jim27 said:
For the GT-R it's going to have to be turbocharged if it's going to compete with the new M3 due out in a year-and-a-half or so. It'll be slap in the same price bracket so I suspect that anything less than 350bhp ain't gonna cut the mustard given it's competition, which precludes a N/A 3.5 V6 unless you strap a couple of tubbies to it :)
Indeed. What I was suggesting was that the mods are geared towards turbo-acceptance.:cool:

#8 ·
Actually the first car to be over 280 PS was the Honda Legend in 2004. They didn't "abandon" it because of "ze Chaamanz" :)D), in fact it's still being kept by a few manufacturers. Its probably that they are realizing what a stupid agreement it is? As cars get fatter & bigger 280 PS aint sure going to cut it!

This is what the V36 Skylines look like (infiniti versions). Saloon:

Coupe (concept from):

#9 ·
i know it was the Legend with 300PS in 04 with the 05 model. Thats why i specified "Nissan" . either way you can recall the 05 30th anniversary model, just tapping the waters hehehe .

mm who has still 280?. everyone mayor one has donde it over by now, i think.

#10 ·
Jim27 said:
yeah . with the M3 going for a 420hp V8 , you can bet the new GTR´s motor to beat that in a turbocharged version. ooh i hope to expect 450-500hp maybe , and thats 911´s territory , the main focus of the new GTR, and a really nice PWR.

gonna have to wait til xmas :(

#13 · (Edited)
I didn't say Lexus, but the WRX STi/SpecC are still "rated" at 280PS/6400 rpm here in Japan. Evo 9 is rated at 280PS/6500 rpm. Evo 9 MR comes out at the end of the month. No performance figures have been disclosed yet. So like I said before:

Mitsubishi, Subaru, Toyota, Mazda.

The Lexus SC430's 3UZ-FE is still rated at 280PS/5,600 rpm. This is the old 4.3L V8 engine which will soon be replaced by the upcoming 4.6L V8. The same engine is used in the Toyota Crown Majesta and is still rated at 280PS there as well. As far as I know Toyota has just launched the first 280PS+ car, with the new Crown Athlete powered by the same direct injection 315PS/318PS 3.5L V6 found in the Lexus GS & IS (2GR-FSE).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.