GTR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there,

My better half has just had her '95 GTSt Type M land in newcastle this week so I thought I'd better give you fair warning of what I'm sure will be many stupid questions over the next few weeks. :D

in fact I'll start right now if that's okay!

one of the things I have read is that Imports need to run on 100 ron fuel - what are the effects of just running on Super, will there just be power loss or potential engine damage?

many thanks

Simon

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Simonh said:
one of the things I have read is that Imports need to run on 100 ron fuel - what are the effects of just running on Super, will there just be power loss or potential engine damage?
Is it being directly imported from Japan or through a middleman?

You should make sure it has a UK spec speedo (MPH) and a UK spec ECU mapped for 97-98 RON fuel.

·
Premium Member
5,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A bit of both really - we sourced the car directly from Japan and arrange for importing and found a company in the UK who have recieved it for us and will complete all the conversion, registration and SVA.

I know for sure he is converting the speedo to MPH and removing the limiter - I'll check he's doing the ECU also

many thanks!

Simon

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
ECU

DONT WORRY ABOUT THE ECU, DOENST NEED CHANGING, JUST ENSURE YOU RUN THE CAR ON SUPER UNLEADED. JAPANESE FUEL IS 98 RON ANYWAY.

AS FOR THE SPEEDO, ENSURE THAT THEY FIT A CONVERTER AND DELIMITER ( SAME GIZMO ) AND NOT JUST THE CONVERTER WHICH IS CHEAPER.

FIRST THINGS FIRST, BOOK IT IN AND GET THE CAM BELT CHANGED BEFORE YOU WORRY ABOUT ANYTHING ELSE. BEST MONEY YOU WILL EVER SPEND AS MOST JAP CARS ARE SOLD PRIOR TO THE LAST BIG COST INSPECTION AND EQUIVILENT MOT SHAKEN TEST.

HOPEFULLY THE TYRES WILL BE ALMOST WORN OUT SO YOU CAN GO AND GET A SET OF UK TYRES AS THE JAP COMPOUND TYRES ARE SHITE, HARDER RUBBER, LESS GRIP, MORE WHEELSPIN AND SQUEEL. YOU WILL PROBABLY FIND THAT THEY WILL CHANGE THE TYRES FOR THE SVA ANYWAY AS MOST JAP TYRES HAVE NO MAX LOAD OR SPEED RATINGS AS STANDARD WHICH IS PART OF THE SVA.

IF YOU ARE UP NORTH THEN ROD BELL IS YOUR MAN FOR SERVICING, YOU SHOULD FIND ONE OF HIS CUSTOMERS ON THE BOARD SOMEWHERE WHO CAN GIVE YOU HIS DETAILS.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I find I get loads better MPG from Optimax than any other super u,
does anyone else find this??

Plus I find the car does run smoother on it...:D

Si

·
Premium Member
5,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
*covers ears*

I know for sure he is doing the converter and delimiter. The car has got just over 30000kms on it now, so I'm not sure it will need the cam belt doing??

the wheels have been changed for 17's and it lists 'sports tyres' on the auction sheet - so they may be okay (here's hoping!) we are in nottingham - so one of our priorities is to find someone to service (and tune) it.

we do have Charlesworths (www.charlesworths.co.uk) but as they wanted to sell us a '95 GTS for over £11k I'm not sure I trust them!

any idea where Rod Bell is?

thanks

Simon

·
Premium Member
5,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I find that if I use optimax in my Audi I get better MPG and also a performance increase, however it's a couple of miles to the nearest station with it and I'm very lazy..............

Simon

·
Registered
312 Posts
Rod Bell Details

Simon,

Rod is in a small village called Mawdesley near Wigan, and his contact No's are 01704 822848 & 07803 616948...

He has looked after my well modded R32 for a while now, and i have nothing but praise for Rod, give him a call with him being close to you!!

Hope everything goes o.k with the motor!!:)

Cheers

Stu

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Bugger, beat me to it Stu...!

Are you running on Sunday too?

See you next week (at long last). :)

Peter.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Whoops!

Keep up there Peter!!;)

Sunday i am working mate, but otherwise i will be at the other venue for say 10:30 ish, depending of a McD stop!!

Cheers

Stu:D

·
Premium Member
5,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys!

Looks like we will be giving Rod a call!

many thanks for all the responses they are much apreciated, the only bad thing is we've just found out that the first SVA test we can get is on the 16th of June :(

Simon

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
cambelt

Change it.

It may have only done 30000kms but how long has it been in there?, 6,7,8 years?

At 30000kms its probably not been done so why wait until it breaks, change it now and sleep at night.

·
Premium Member
5,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
good point

it's been there 7yrs, I think I'll look into it.

Simon

·
Registered
865 Posts
Whatever your service needs charlesworths ain't the place to go, some one like Rod Bell or Ian at Hi teq would serve you better.

·
Premium Member
5,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
is there a specific reason not to go to charlesworths ie are they likley to do a crap job or rip us off??

Simon

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
You've touched a sore spot there, no-one really wants to comment on past negative experiences with tuners etc for obvious reasons. Just go to the ones that are recommended (Abbey, Rod Bell, Middlehurst) and you cant go wrong!

Rob

1 - 18 of 18 Posts