GTR Forum banner

Newbie introduction and advise

1K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  Thomrs 
#1 ·
Hi everybody,

First post here for me so I'll first introduce me and my car. Thomrs, from France, Le Mans more precisely.

My previous, and first real sport car, was an Audi RS4 (B5 version, V6 twin turbo as well!). Great car.
Since 2 years I entered a new world, thought, with this awesome GTR.
It's a 2009 black ed. on which have been made some improvements:
-HKS DCT transmission oil cooler
-HKS intercooler
-HKS fuel pumps
-ID 1000cc
-Cobb custom map
-AMS MAF sensors
-GFB dump valves
-GTC downpipes
-HKS mid-pipe (resonated)
-HKS Legamax stainless catback
The result is about 590 whp, which is a sufficient amount of power for me!

I read this great forum since months, the reason why I finally post here is my need for an advise. Nothing very original I'm afraid...exhaust drone trouble! I love the sound of the car went putting right foot down, with my setup, but it's annoying on medium to long path. Especially with children onboard...don't want them to become deaf!

So I search the forum and I pre-selected three possible setup:
-Russ Fellows exhaust with custom resonated Y-pipe
-SVM 102mm stainless exhaust (possible resonated Y-pipe?)
-Akrapovic titanium exhaust system

From a "drone" point of view, what do you think?
I didn't mention it here, but are there "quieter" dp (except OEM)?

Thank you for reading.
Cheers
Thomrs

See less See more
#2 ·
I cannot comment for the other exhausts, but I have Russ Fellows and I am perfectly sattisfied! No drone at all and beautiful sound.
I just don't know what is the downpipes impact on drone...

#6 ·
I have had issues with noise and drone with various systems. I now have a Litchfield 102mm with downpipes and a silenced Y pipe, and the result has solved all the problems whilst allowing the power to be more instantaneous than previously.

I now pass all the noise tests at the circuits that have severe noise restrictions. The drone has completely disappeared whilst leaving a deeper more meaningful sound.

#8 ·
Russ Fellows system with down pipes gets my vote.

I talked a good bit with Russ about what I wanted from the exhaust and he came up with the ideal solution. And to my kwowledge there is only one other exhaust made to the same spec as mine.

He made the Y pipe with two small resonators on each leg of the Y to deal with the drone. So between 65-80 mph the tyre noise is louder than the exhaust, but when you give it's some it properly sings.

There's an onboard video in my project thread.

#13 ·
I guess that he puts small resonators on every y pipe when you say that you want standard version, I have those 2 small resonators too and a friend of mine got the same exhaust for his GTR also...

#12 ·
So it seems that my options are reduced to two...well two but three actually:
-Russ Fellows with custom Y-pipe (thank you Ja5on)
-the 102mm option. Then Litchfield or SVM...?
I'll try to check again thoose options (+/- regarding feedbacks, prices...).
Thank you very much anyway, great help here.
@GlastoVeteran: thank you!
Thomrs

#16 ·
You'll pay a big premium for the japanese stuff. Personally I'd stick with the Litchfield 102mm as it was developed solely to reduce noise yet retain power.

Without downpipes being changed it would probably be as quiet as stock, with downpipes changed it's very quiet when cruising but still sounds great, and passes all track day limits with no drone at all.

I've had 4 different systems and have settled on what I believe to be the best by some margin.

#18 ·
there's nothing unique about mine. It has just been designed for maximum silencing.

I asked for it initially to enable me to go on track with de-catted downpipes as no other system on the market allowed for that.

This one does. It has a lot of silencing in the y-pipe and in the back section yet sounds great when you stamp on the loud pedal.

#22 ·
I tried with some special "noise absorbing foam" under the rear seats and boot carpet, and the result is...well, no result actually. I can't hear any difference. Maybe this foam wasn't really adapted to this kind of noise.
About Litchfield...maybe very busy, doesn't answer to my request for price.

Thomrs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.