GTR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Just got my Gtr recently and it coming up for optimisation soon, I would some opinions on the milltek Gtr y pipe to go either non res or resonated. Cant get a properly sound from youtube clips inside the cabin to see how bad the drone. I just came from a v8 rs4 with cat back customs exhaust, which can't say it was quiet but i don't want exhaust going to drone like hell all the time.

Dave

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
Y pipe change alone does drone at 65-75mph in my opinion, the non-res is worse.

I had the Milltek one and it annoyed me enough to change the whole exhaust, which was then much better.

·
Premium Member
5,868 Posts

I had the Milltek one and it annoyed me enough to change the whole exhaust, which was then much better.
i had milltek non res, it droned like a byyyyattchhhh in the middle of the cabin, all the y pipes drone to some extent from what i have heard...

maybe u need a resonated one bud, they drone less

·
Registered
888 Posts
Only had my R35 for a few days & I agree with the speed range above. But she's not there for long :chuckle:

·
Registered
1,561 Posts

Remind us what did you change to?
I was considering some dynamatting, but if the alternative isn't many 000's then it might be better.

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
Remind us what did you change to?
I was considering some dynamatting, but if the alternative isn't many 000's then it might be better.
I had the full Milltek exhaust fitted to reduce the drone.
It was still there, but far less.
(res-Y pipe and full Milltek system)

I 100% cured it and had a nice relaxing ride by changing the car for a stock one. ;)

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Indeed... I've the same "...full Milltek exhaust fitted to reduce the drone.
It was still there, but far less. (res-Y pipe and full Milltek system).." So it's some dynamatting next as reverting to a new stock one is not an option

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Again the negativity towards the drone :(

I love the drone, reminds me what beast I'm in, if I want to cruise up the motorway in comfort and quiet I would've bought a Jag.

·
Premium Member
5,868 Posts
I had the full Milltek exhaust fitted to reduce the drone.
(res-Y pipe and full Milltek system)
)
By how much does it lower the drone? compared to a y pipe on its own?

thanks

I love the drone, reminds me what beast I'm in, if I want to cruise up the motorway in comfort and quiet I would've bought a Jag.
How much motorway driving do you do weekly?

·
Premium Member
5,868 Posts
i know you said that... lol , i was after %less, like 30% less? 50%

thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks guys for the info, a resonated y pipe, the sound is it still a lot louder than the standard y pipe. Im going towards a resonated one, worried a non resonated might the too loud for everyday use. I have drone in my rs4 at 2.5krpm and around 65mph to 70 with straight pipe centre section but it was very loud and drone was bad. end up fitted a silencer on the centre section to reduce it which was liveable.

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
I went from non-res to Res miltek without any other changes and that makes quite an improvement, so I guess it's there and not a by-product of the full system

·
Registered
888 Posts

I like it :thumbsup:

·
Ooo Matron !
2,162 Posts
Am I right in thinking the resonated y-pipe is louder that the non-resonated one ? Because I'm going to have one fitted soon and I want a lot of noise.

·
Premium Member
5,868 Posts
I see, you'd think resonated would be louder - hence the name.
resonated = shielded
non resonated = straight through

'Well, in my personal opinion it reduced the drone by around 50%.
But that's my ears, two years ago...'

thanks bud :cool:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts