1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi I'm new looking to buy a R33 GTR in the next couple of months

But for insurance reasons i want it std

but most GTR have induction kits

if i stick to stock air filter what am i missing out on?

Is it just sound or does the GTR make good bhp improvements?

if its like 5bhp wont notice it but is it noticeable driving a GTR with aftermarket filter on a near std tuned GTR.

I tried the search but wouldn't get any good results.

Many thanks

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
First of all, welcome to the GTROC,:)

TBH you probably wont get any savings on the insurance between a standard or after market induction set up, it doesn't seam to make that much difference to the insurance company's.

There are two schools of thought about how much it gives you, or not! :rolleyes: Quite a few of the guys run the standard set up and they don't seem to suffer from it.

However, a nice HKS super induction kit sounds much better than the standard one. :D

Most Skyline's will also have an exhaust fitted as well, to some extent, either full systems including downpipes, etc, or just a cat back job. These mods together will give you better breathing and hence much better spool up and low down grunt.

Andy.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info

I was planing on getting a de-cat if its cat back when I buy one

Would this make much difference? Is downpipe will

I know my mates EVO 7 FQ300 had a noticable gain with a De-cat plus they are cheap

Say a HKS exhuast and decent filter

would what i expect?

Say 300bhp std round figure 320bhp about right?

just a guide

·
Registered
430 Posts
IMO the insurance companies that will give you a good quote on a skyline will not hammer you for filters and an exhaust. Most cars have got aftermarket induction and exhaust anyways, it's pretty difficult to find a completely standard 1. There's good gains to be had by exhaust, down pipes, de-cat, induction, chip and boost turned up to 1bar. About the 360-380bhp mark.

·
Registered
10 Posts
whislt i was getting quotes some insurers would not even quote for a standard skyline i was told by on that they don't beleave there are hardly any about as tinted windows is classed as a mod

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
scw02102 said:
well my plans are

de-cat, full system exhaust, maybe air filter, boost controller to run 0.9bar

trying to find a good quote on the GTR but as I'm 22yrs they are over £2k!std so I'm hoping to find a company who will allow small mods ie breathing stuff without upping the premium any more
Upping the boost will be seen as a mod that will effect your quote.:( TBH at 22 your going to struggle to get a reasonable quote.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so exhaust and filter wont make much difference?

thats good then cause i wanted the filters but heard some companys want 10% which in my case is like £200 per mod which isnt worth it

gonna try and find a company that insure small mods without extra money

yeah boost controller can increase the insurance as it can increase power a fair bit :)

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
6,571 Posts
Best to leave the boost alone for now, as they will frown on that type of thing.

But a down pipe, de-cat and rear section on standard boost should give ~350-370bhp.

Well worth doing if you can insure it.

·
Registered
430 Posts
You don't need a boost controller to run 1 bar and how do you know what boost and power your running anyway, you bought it like that ;) :smokin:

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
mine runs 1 bar on std turbos and i have no boost controller

my spec:

mines ecu
hks downpipes
decat
kakimoto full system
twin blitz sus filters
afm's

what power do u guys think i should be getting?

·
Registered
387 Posts
scw: Have you tried A-plan? They are awesome for good quotes! 0845 0711234, give them a call.

Faz: I reckon you're reaching around 400bhp? Anyone else got any opinions on that?

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Your age will be the issue here.

Get the insurance sorted out for a standard car, them get the work done and tell them. Normally they wouldn't add any extra on, but as your only 22 they might try and sting you.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I got my R33 GT-R when I was 22, and I went with the Insurance Factory (I hadn't heard of A-Plan then) and I was paying £4000 then and I was just happy to get insured, most people wouldn't touch me because I was under 25!!!! Well I'm 24 now and A-Plan gave me a quote the other week for £1260 fully comp! Well impressed!

If you need any filters mate give me a shout.

[email protected]

·
Banned
1,758 Posts
I would stick to a std air box. HKS filters are just about the worst for filtration. Apexi cone filters are one of the best.

Cone filters do suck in lots of hot air. On a hot day you would loose power with an induction kit.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts