GTR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I owned a GT-R some years ago I now have a GT-S. I'm happy just to browse this superb site but am I in order to seek advice re tuning the GT-S? Or is there another site more suited?
TIA

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
There is a healthy amount of interest in this forum from GTS owners, and I think you'll find most members are genuinely helpful.

The Skylines Down Under website is a great resource for Skyline info, and they have a huge amount of GTS owners.

Welcome aboard :D

·
Registered
865 Posts
Yeah Jason is right SDU is the best source of info I feel, I also notice Jason u have your hands in the pot on that 1 also, forum moderator hey for the UK section! (How the other half live! LMAO)

·
Registered
992 Posts
GTS

JasonO,
Nice to hear from you again, we only seemed to communicate on the SDU threads!!. Hows the plans for the Haggis Summer Run coming along?. I can't think of anything better than sunny Scotland in the summer through the twisty roads.

PaulP.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Guys, your embarassing me, stop it :eek:

I'll be sorting out the 'Run-from-the-sun' ;) soon, not too many people showing interest at the moment though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

Thanks for the helpful replies. I'm on my way. The GT-S is a superb machine even with a Japanese 280 (= say 300 in Euros?); Look forward to comparing it with the GT-R R32 at 400+.
Interesting contrast with the Soarer (2.5 TT - unmodified). While GT-S' traction control is as discreet as a Buckingham Palace butler, the Soarer's switches off the engine and throws the keys over the hedge.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's 1998 R34, grey import (by Simon at Intercar). Mildly tuned (some fiddling with the induction I gather, done before I bought the car). I'll post a pic when I've figured out how to do it here - not familiar with this forum business.
I had ordered an SC430 but when I saw it in the flesh I realised I'd made a norrible mistake so bought the GT-S instead.
Re the tuning...
A company in Archway Road (Ron, who runs two Skylines and sounds pretty expert) is offering a supercharger (Paxton, I think), price yet to be quoted. Together with a new ECU (apparently necessary to cope with the forced induction set-up) is alleged to give 400+ bhp. I plan to talk to Abbey also.
Since selling the GT-R and losing contact with the world of Skylines I'm working hard to get back up to speed (lit. & fig.) so any comments from the GT-S knowledgable would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Er, GTS ? I thought the R34 variant was a GT-T. Cool car though :smokin:

I've never heard anyone talk about supercharging an RB engine, probably create some stonking dyno curves.

The sort of changes a supercharger would require kinda make the ECU upgrade an absolute necessity, however I've heard some scary stories about after market ECU's and the auto R34's so I hope you've got a manual gearbox.

Would the supercharger conversion be replacing the turbo, or suplementing it for low rpm boost ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JasonO said:
Er, GTS ? I thought the R34 variant was a GT-T.
Hmm... I'm trying to get up to speed. I thought Rxx designated the (commencing) year. Also, I don't know the difference between GT-S and GT-T. Lot of reading to do!

some scary stories about after market ECU's and the auto R34's
Proposed mods. include RCU 'from Japan' which I have taken to mean a 'real' one. Now you mention it I'll check.

so I hope you've got a manual gearbox.
It's Tipronic at present. I've been wondering how much torque that box will handle but manual is preferred anyway. Which prompts more questions...
What's the recommended box? 5 or 6? Getrag?
What about clutch weight? I'm 9 stones and out of condition so Cobra-type clutches are er.. out. I had no trouble with the GT-R R32 box so it can be done.

Would the supercharger conversion be replacing the turbo, or suplementing it for low rpm boost ?
I like the sound of the latter if it can be engineered. I'm particularly looking for good torque spread. Something like that Swedish machine reported in current Evo - Koenigsegg - 500+ lbs ft at 2,500 rpm would be about adequate.

I seem to be generating questions at a mean rate of 2.5 per answer - an ultimately explosive process.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
We all genrate more questions than answers, that's what makes these forums so good, just need to try and keep the thread 'on-topic', that's the hard bit.

For a potted history on the Rxx series, best look at the history page on the SDU site, it will give lots more detail than I can ever put in here.

Then of course there is the differences between the engine types, The RB26DETT is fitted to the GTR's and has many differences from the RB25DET fitted to the GTS & GTT not to mention differences across the Rxx series also.

RBxxXXXX deciphers like the following
R - Race
B - Bred
xx - engine CC
D - Double over head cam
E - Electronic fuel injection
T - Twin
T - Turbo

The RB26 comes with individual throttle bodies per cylinder, two turbos, a large front mount intercooler and some other bits'n'bobs.

The RB25 comes with single throttle body, one turbo, a small offset intercooler, and a less bits'n'bobs.

The RB25 fitted in the R34 makes about 30bhp more than the one fitted to the R33, and power is reduced by about 10bhp in the auto versions.

Generally speaking the auto transmissions used are found to be very adequate within the scope of the power they were designed to handle, So if you tune it like mad, you'll need a new box. A manual conversion will be very involved, what with the auto's integration with the engine management software.

There, that little lot should keep you going for a bit ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts