GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Forum
Long time lurker First time poster here.
I've had my 2019 Recaro R35 (complete with miltek y-pipe) for just over a year and apart from a drive shaft issue at 1800 miles I have really enjoyed being a GTR owner.
A little over a month ago I had a stage 4.25 carried out keeping both my stock exhaust and intercooler it made a healthy 679bhp and 610lb/ft which I thought great I should really be able to tell a difference between the stock. Having now had it at stage 4.25 for about 5 weeks and putting it through its paces I am somewhat underwhelmed by the performance and it's actually slower 0-60 than it was when it was stock (same tyres, same bit of road etc etc) although the 1/4 mile is okay I think (10.83sec @ 131mph) the 60-130mph @ 7.4sec doesnt seem particularly quick. I do think my stock was quite quick compared to other MY17 I have been in.
I will post some draggy times do you guys think this is okay for a stage 4.25? perhaps I am expecting too much.
Thanks
(Just want to say this is the most helpful car forum I have ever lurked on)

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don’t want to sound stupid also but do you have different map setting? To change the boost or performance of the car?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah yes sorry I should have said its ecutek 8 and I always run on the 99 map (Tesco 99 fuel)
Cheers

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
interesting, plenty of people will give their opinon on this subject but i have always been told stock vs 4.25 is night and day. I have a stock MY18 and getting 4.25 at the end of the month so will be interesting to see. Who did the upgrade for you?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
The 1/4 mile time is good but to compare to other GTR's you need to do a 100-200 kmh run, thats the sort of bench mark now, I did a MY17 a few weeks back and 100-200 with full tank of fuel and 95kg driver was 6.1 secs.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My MY17 is 4.25 with stock rear box. Personally the car doesnt feel night and day from stock but definitely can feel it pulls harder, particularly higher up the rev range. Only done a few dragy pulls and have attached them to compare. I'm running MP4s tyres. Car makes 661bhp and 604lbf.ft

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your help guys....

Davej51
It was Litchfield, I am not doubting their work in anyway and the service I got from them was amazing, great bunch of guys.

Dudersvr
I will try a 100-200kph and let you know.

Tekki
Thanks for your screenshots and I see they are very similar, I also run MP4s 275/305 ... I agree with you it's not night and day but pulls a bit harder. I will say it makes it sound much better though.

Cheers

·
Registered
13 Posts
Out of interest what was your stock 0-60 time? From what I've heard the Stage 4+ will allows the car to perform much better in the higher gears.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I managed a 2.95 when it was stock and it consistently hit 2.99 to 3.06, it seemed very quick 0-60 stock, I guess I thought a 4.25 would improve this. Mid and high range is faster I can feel it there.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would of thought there would be a huge difference,as you are running around 150 if/ib of torque more. ? Mines a 4.5 80hp more on average than a 4.25 with the big intercooler,but because torque is capped im told it would nt be much quicker than say a 4,25,only after a 130 mph. Not been in a stock car to compare,but as said 10.8 is the right time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Stock gearing to 60 is very aggressive anyway so my take on it is that the ECUTek tune doesn't push to hard there to keep things safe, it's 4th gear and up where it improves. I've got a stock 14 plate DBA which was supposed to be 2.7 0-60 stock, apparently with heavy runflat tyres. Don't have a draggy to test mine though. I'm going for a Stage 2 tune at the end of the month when I get my new GTC Titan Street exhaust fitted.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Stock gearing to 60 is very aggressive anyway so my take on it is that the ECUTek tune doesn't push to hard there to keep things safe, it's 4th gear and up where it improves. I've got a stock 14 plate DBA which was supposed to be 2.7 0-60 stock, apparently with heavy runflat tyres. Don't have a draggy to test mine though. I'm going for a Stage 2 tune at the end of the month when I get my new GTC Titan Street exhaust fitted.
Agree with this, stage 4.25 is 4th and up where it improves with little improvements (some) below. To get the next stage unfortunately (1 - 3rd gears pulling through harder) you gonna need engine upgrades, gearbox upgrades, clutch and then remap (with your exhaust at 102mm).

This is the magic 800+ and torque 700+ regions (some of course o to 900/1000 and torque closer to 800. At this stage its ballistic from start to finish (thats relative as the GTR is already ballistic its just to feel even more so).

So 4.25 think a little bit more lower gears down, better higher gears

·
Registered
50 Posts
Price points depending on where you start and what you have (e.g. better intercooler, larger exhaust, etc), think 4.25 less than £10k, 5+ with the strengthening that will be more than £30k

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for your input guys.
Think I was worrying about the 0-60 time a little too much perhaps.

I am going to be fitting the below on Thursday so hopefully that will add a few 🐴 too.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts

I am going to be fitting the below on Thursday so hopefully that will add a few 🐴 too.
Be very interested on your thoughts, performance wise, after fitment.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts

I doubt it will add hardly any hp at all, what it will do is stop you Losing hp on hot days and that improvement will depend on the state of your stock intercoolers. at 4.25 the turbos are being run at 100% dc, if you watch your boost guage it will hit the tuners target boost of say 1.4 bar then fall away quickly to 1 or if your lucky 1.1 bar, older CBA's ive seen drop to a constant 0.9bar, to make any more power you would need to run more boost, theres only so much timing a VR38 will put up with so its a boost only thing.
Where you will see an improvement is on longer pulls if the AIT's were creeping up, but then if it were pulling timing the mil light would have flashed, be interesting to log it on stock coolers to get AIT on a 3/4/5 gear pull and see what knock correction is doing, say it 0 all down the column and you fit the AMS cooler and AIT falls a few degrees and knock correction adds a degree or 2 of timing then you will see a difference in your times, on track in summer you would also notice a big difference as they do get hi AIT's

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dudersvr
Thanks for your reply... I will see if I can do this... I guess I can log this In Ecutek.
I do notice on hot days especially in 4th gear the engine feels like its sucking in a lot of air but theres no ooomph, perhaps the new intercooler will help with this then.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a similar setup to Tekki, mine did similar times, the lowest 0-60 I got so far was 3 dead (3.01) and just sub 11 1/4 mile - note these were tested randomly. If you really wanna dip in the 2s and mid 10s you need to play a bit with your boost settings (if you have the Ecutek bluetooth dongle) and LC settings (ideally below 4k RPM - I found 3.5k RPM to be good), don't let the boost build up too much before you lift your foot off the break for the launch, otherwise it would be more entertainment rather than times because you will be spinning. You also need your tires to be warmed up, tank not full etc. I'm pretty confident it will get there with the right settings and the right time.

I personally felt like the 4.25 adds more life to the car in terms of responsiveness, noise and character. It didn't need much power from stock but it surely adds more aggression to the pull, I literally get a neck ache unless I have my head stuck to the seat :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
MOD-GTR

Thanks for the tips I will try some of these next time I do some runs. I definetly agree about 4.25 adding character and theatre.

Tekki

I finally fitted the Alpha bolt on intercooler and all times have improved, some by only very small margins but even so. I know times can be subjective.
So times are now

0-60 3.00 Seconds
0-100 6.53 Seconds
60-130 7.21 Seconds
1/4 10.71 Seconds

I have not had a tune yet so that might help a little more.

Btw changing the intercooler on just axle stands was so much more harder than I thought it would be!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts