GTR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Guys,

Well I have managed to find a mint R33 GTS-T, in standard form.

I have had a turbo timer installed and everything else seems standard

Now I have thought about putting the de cat pipe in, but I have been told by my mechanic friend that installing the de catpipe, with out a boost controller may cause issues.

So my question is:-

1. Can I remove the cat, and put in the de cat pipe, without worry ( Just unleash a few horses! )
2. If I need a boost controller, which one should I get, as I have seen many different models and specifications
3. Oh and whats the best air filter to go for, as he also stated that getting rid of the air box would only change the engine note and would be a waste of time.

Thanks in advance
Izi

·
GTROC NOBODY
5,981 Posts
My advice to you is to change the mechanic. The car sounds ok though:D

Firstly, my car had a de-cat straight away, without a boost controller.....no probs, and also the heat sensor on the de-cat doesnt need to be there either. Most people tuck it under the car. Some de-cats come with a connector for it, so thats ok anyway.
Choice of boost controller is down to you really. Apexi ones are good, as are their induction kits and downpipes. removing the air box gives rise to a better induction system, and doesnt just affect engine noise, it helps the car to breath.
Unless the std turbo has been upgraded with steel internals, boost max is about .8 bar.
If i were you i would take it to somewhere that knows. By the sounds of it, your mechanic hasnt had much experience with mods. Nothing wrong with that, but not good to start handing out advice to a new owner.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice guys.....

I will do what I originally thought and that is to:-

1. fit the de cat pipe
2. new racing manafold
3. nice exhaust....any ideas?
4. apexi/arc/blitz or hks filter kit
5. look for new alloys as have standard 16" on at the mo

Much appreciated.....oh and sorry for the cross post

Izi

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Hi Izi and welcome to the forum :)
For exhausts look on the for sale and wanted section, there are people trading them from time to time so you may be able to pick up a bargain ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts