GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright guys?

May seem my memebership to the GTROC may be short lived as the car is up for sale only 6 months into ownership and, probably back to my Mitsubishi's, as the car is asking for dealership (130miles away) almost once a month.

The problem this time is the gearbox. A month ago it had a moment were it wouldnt come out of auto and only had R, 1, 3, 5 at a max of 26 mph. It 100 meters later sorted itself out, and had a friend who cleared the engine management code.

Its happened again but this time, refusing to come out of that mode. Im hearing that a clutch learn may fix this. If not, its gearbox out. Is this possibly related to the known solenoid failures? Expensive fix?

The car will be on Autortrader after the tidy up respray (stone chips and shopping car park door ding) but after serious issues like part engine failure (cost £1k with no real fix or reason as to the problem), exhausts bursting, severe shaking on the steering, always throwing up random trasmission errors (which latch and need dealer), this car is just going to be no use as a daily driver.

Any information relating the gearbox issue is appreciated :) Thanks for all the help previously too.

BR,

Steve

EDIT - Car has been serviced 1000miles before due everytime, FSH, 59 Plate, 23k miles.

·
Registered
88 Posts
You do realise there's a dealership in Aberdeen soon... Considerably less that 130 miles. Others can help with the gearbox issue

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Jimbles!

Well I did phone the new Nissan dealership in Aberdeen when the steering issues came up, and they said they had no plans to deal with the GTR's... Is it definitly a go ahead?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm not 100% as I don't have any direct contact, but I'm sure I saw a billboard by the Garage up by the AECC/Parkway advertising a new HPC... May warrant further investigation.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
I had the same gearbox issue a few months back during a trackday at Blyton. I limped for nearly 10 miles at 26mph before stopping for fuel.

What cleared it for me was just starting the car and driving straight away. The car figured out the gearbox was faulty after doing a 30 second TCM check. I found, that if you drive it before the TCM check is complete. The car forgets there is a gearbox faults and selects gears normally. Did another 2000 miles after that without issue.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Alex,

Thought it may have been something to do with the fault latching! Ill have to get Nobles to check that before a gearbox removal (Im sure the same thing would happen with clearing the ECU).

Appreciate the info!

·
Premium Member
7,640 Posts
Firstly forget your HPC as there only knowledge of transmissions is to remove them, box them up and ship them to Nissan.

Your issue sounds like a solenoid/valve body issue and can be solved relatively simply and not expensive either.

The issue you've come across is that the HPCs are just not equipped and educated in repairing these boxes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hi Charles,

Its always a worry these days - garages are fitters now pretty much. Getting down to the nitty gritty components just doesnt happen.

New box wont be happening on this occassion. If it turns out the box is goosed, is there somewhere I can trun to for the solenoid valve / bodies to be replaced / refubished?

·
Premium Member
7,640 Posts
Hi Charles,

Its always a worry these days - garages are fitters now pretty much. Getting down to the nitty gritty components just doesnt happen.

New box wont be happening on this occassion. If it turns out the box is goosed, is there somewhere I can trun to for the solenoid valve / bodies to be replaced / refubished?
Sure are.

SVM, Litchfields, even small independents are around with expertise to fix them.

·
Registered
471 Posts
If its AF Noble you have been travelling to I'm not surprised you have been left feeling like this. I'm only glad I never had mine in to them for a mechanical issue. I wouldn't trust them on my scooter.
If your car is a 59 plate why are you still going to a main dealer any way, surely there is a garage you can trust near you and you could use Ecutec/Cobb to read the codes. If it turns out to be something serious have the car taken to Litchfield etc. The money you save would more than cover the transport there and back.
Aberdeen doesn't sound like they will be of help any time soon when I contacted them.
J

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
hi mate, we have done few repairs already on these.

what code is the cobb AP thrown when on limp mode ?

a simple BV clean may sort it or could be a bad part mate.

we are based in newcastle upon tyne..

·
Premium Member
7,640 Posts
hi mate, we have done few repairs already on these.

what code is the cobb AP thrown when on limp mode ?

a simple BV clean may sort it or could be a bad part mate.

we are based in newcastle upon tyne..
Blimey I'm sorry Jurgan, I completely forgot about you in my previous post!

:mad:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ha Hi Matt!

You are pretty close by arent you? You into gearbox rebuilds now? The car has never run long enough to start tuning it...

S.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
yeah Steve 5 mins from Glasgow airport

we do all our own gearbox repairs in house and offer a fast turn round service

if you have no joy from nobles,ask Darren to have the car dropped off to us and we will get you back on the road in no time:thumbsup:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Like all cars the GTR has mechanical faults from time to time but sounds more like a poor Nissan dealer than car... This post won't help anyone looking to buy. I hope its an easy fix and you can enjoy the car soon.

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
Personally I couldn't knowingly sell a car with a fault like that and if you disclose it, which I'm sure you will, you'll struggle to sell it without losing a chunk of cash.

It's been said but your only problem here is dealing with the wrong people. Now that the gearboxes are well known and the problems common, I suspect that someone with the right skills could solve this for you in seconds. I know of cars diagnosed by Nissan as needing a new gearbox at £20k which was refused under warranty. I saw the same car fixed at Litchfields merely by plugging it in to a machine.

Take the time getting Jurgen to look it over and sort if for you. Even if you ship the car there, the amount you'll save by selling it in sorted condition, will more than offset the cost. You'd be mad to give up on it as is.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts