GTR Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I had a spectacular off on the highway the night of New Year's Eve. I was driving 3.5 hours out to my best friend's place. The weather wasn't fantastic, but nothing that would keep me stuck at home (Although I wish I had now). It started snowing about halfway there, then stopped and the road cleared up again. Twenty miles out, I was cruising comfortably at around 80MPH when I felt the back end twitch out slightly so I quickly gave it a bit of countersteer.
My efforts were futile.
I had hit a patch of ice on a long, gentle left in a two-lane section of highway. Luckily there were no cars around me at the time, because the ice sent me completely sideways, facing the left shoulder (Remember, we drive on the wrong side of the road here :)). I held it at opposite lock and kept the car from spinning, but I was still careening sideways at 80MPH. I took out a sign and went right into a clump of brush and small trees.
I ended up driving the car to my friends, where I proceeded to have a terrible time at his New Year's party. I drove the car all the way home last night, which I should not have, because as I drove, the steering got progressively more and more broken.
After giving it a brief once-over, it's definitely not nearly as bad as it could have been. If there was a guardrail installed on that section of highway, it would have spun me round and shot me off a ditch on the other side of the road. If there was a car in the other lane, I would have slid either into or in front of them and caused more danger.
From what I see, I need a fender and brace, bumper, lip, inner fender lining, headlight, engine under-cover, blow-off valve piping, and 'i've no idea what exactly is broken in the steering. I'm expecting a lot more to pop up considering I haven't taken anything apart yet and I haven't had it on a lift either. I'll get some pictures up tomorrow for everyone to see. I'm still in a terrible mood :(:(.
Just glad that I didn't hurt anyone or myself.
I miss my car already :(

Justin

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Bad stuff man. At least you're OK and nobody else was involved.

The car parts can be replaced and sourced really easily, I know most of the traders on here can ship out to the US.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
o dear, sorry to hear that.

End of the day it could of been worse ! At least you and your car are still here to tell the tale.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
not a good start for the new year surely, I sympathize with you mate, but at least it's not totalled and you are ok which matters the most. The steering damage could be a number of things such as the steering rack itself or the driveshaft, the suspension leg, or the ball joint to the hub, let's hope it won't be very costly. gutted for you mate:(

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Always a shame to hear of a 32 being damaged, especially in the US (can't be many around!). At least you're still here talking about repairing the car rather than someone else posting that you'd karked it.

Loads of spares and willing individuals/traders on here to help get it sorted.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the concern guys.
The weather here is atrocious so I won't be getting any pictures up until later.

Justin

·
Registered
223 Posts
Unlucky mate, hopefully you and the car bounce back, good to see your looking on the upside :) seeing as there was alot that could have gone very wrong :eek: but in a way luckilly didn't, throw some pics up soon so we can see and im sure others will other there advice.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Sounds like you had a lucky escape there mate, that could have been an awful lot worse :eek:

Cars can always be fixed - not always so with people :(

Take it easy :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
.....cars can deffo be fixed or replaced - glad you are okay - weathers terrible here too, lots of accidents in the slippy snow and ice!

·
Premium Member
3,996 Posts
Bad luck there Justin. No one hurt is always very good news. Get stuck in and you will be back on the road quicker then you think.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Had a nice little surprise today.
I called a debt collector to pay off my final credit card after being in a large amount of debt for some time, and they settled for $1200USD LESS than what I owed.
Now I have money to buy shiny new bits for the car :).
We had it on the lift today after work, the lower control arm is bent on the driver's side and the pipes for the bypass valves are cracked. Everything else is all cosmetic.
DaveW, here I come :).

Justin

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
sorry to hear about this dude!

never nice to hear about people having accidents, you were very lucky though and am glad the damage is only cosmetic!

Good news on the debt collectors front!

·
Registered
376 Posts
sorry to hear of the accident but look at it this way, it gives you the opportunity to buy better parts and you know it will be as good as new.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts