Discussion Starter #1
worth the money?

if so why?

Simon

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
also awaiting to be convinced....

are they made out of different material?, last time i done research on uprated bearings for a vauxhall engine they were all lead/copper..

·
Banned
466 Posts
I believe all the NISMO bearings have a finer micro polish, so the surface is smoother, thus the life expectancy is longer. Have you thought about ACL bearings? I believe ABBEY moto carries them.

·
Premium Member
6,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Abbey quoted on either standard or nismo, everyone else that has bothered to quote has quoted standard.

the price difference is significant.

Simon

3,665 Posts
We carry a huge stock of ACL bearings as well, but we need to polish the crank to get the clearances spot on , as Simon is building his motor himself we would supply the correctly graded NISMO bearing which are far superior than the STD Nissan bearings.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The Nismo bearings are (or were a year ago) a tri-layer style bearing that had a tendancy to delaminate on the top layer. I witnessed this on several motors built by several workshops.

One of Australia's more reputable workshops when using Nismo bearings (due to customer demand) remove the top layer to avoid this problem.

My money is on ACL race series bearings. They have worked well in many engines, and above mentioned workshop uses them in RB26's making up to and over 1000hp at the crank without any problems.

·
Premium Member
6,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what is it that makes them superior though? and at what sort of HP/load does it become an issue..

the more moeny I spend on these sort of things the less I have for an F-CON :)

Simon

·
Registered
67 Posts
They are a solid style bearing as opposed to a multi-layer style bearing. Aside from that im not sure of the differences.

I have seen them hold up well though in cars running over 800hp at the crank, 10000rpm and over 30psi of boost.

Its the only bearing I would use now.

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
I use ACL race series bearings only.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Simon,
I had the same discussion on a thread some time ago, I too didn't really feel that Nismo's were worth it. They cost significantly more than standard, and after all, the standard ones do seem to hold up quite well. They are also just white metal bearings, that are supposed to be not contact with the oil film doing all the work.

However, I eventually decided it wasn't worth taking the risk, not with something that has high costs associated with it if it goes wrong, and went for Nismo.

Nismo mains also have a different oil channel to stock Nissan bearings.

Surely the multi layers are there for a reason. Most modern high performance bearings are multi layered. It is so that you get a hard support with a softer cushioned surface. If it was all one material, you would have go for a harder compound throughout, which may not be the right way to go, especially on RB's that are prone to spinning.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
nismo

all the way for me,
I have never had a problem with these bearings and they are definatly worth the extra expense, I have them all in stock if you wish to have a quote.

When the top layer looks like it is missing or damaged this is nothing to do with the bearing material at all, it is to do with the engine oil used, what happens is the oil actually produces a gas between the bearing surface and the crank journal this is produced when very high rotational speed is made, the gas then explodes and leaves a black pitted like finish in the layer of
bearing degrading its finish and thus the bearing is blamed for failure.

I have recently changed my bearings after 4 years use and they are in perfect order both main and big end.10000 RPM most of the time
Its all in the oil.
Stick with nismo

·
Registered
67 Posts
Id be interested to hear what oil you are running.

The bearings have come out of many states of tune engines, with different builders, different sizes, and different oils (penzoil, mobil, motul etc). They all failed in the same way and the only common factor was the bearings. Not to mention one of Australia's most reputable workshop and has pumped out many a 800-1000hp GTR's also confirmed they have experienced the same problem and reccomend not using them.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Id be interested to hear what oil you are running.

The bearings have come out of many states of tune engines, with different builders, different sizes, and different oils (penzoil, mobil, motul etc). They all failed in the same way and the only common factor was the bearings. Not to mention one of Australia's most reputable workshop and has pumped out many a 800-1000hp GTR's also confirmed they have experienced the same problem and reccomend not using them.

clearance, oil pressure, grade, cleanliness, warm up technieques, detonation - number of reasons for bearing failure regardless of brand. only way you will get discernable variance between bearings is if you are looking at the old babits and modern bearings. Interesting reading about the load carrying capacity of a bearing of given construction in relation to it's non wear ability...

Rarely oil pressure has anything to do with the ability of the oil to provide the film between journal and bearing.

ACL race series ARE multilayered.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Oil

GT-ART oil of course, I have plenty in stock.
I should also point out that I did neglect to say that oil temperature plays an important part in the whole affair.

I very much agree that the bearing material should not be touched as well, as I dont, and I also agree that the whole instalation process of the bearings is probably the most critical part of the bearings life span allthough I am a strong beliver in oil pressure but we all have our own ways and prefrerence.

Nismo All The Way for me anyway:)

·
Premium Member
6,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
looks like some strong arguments for nismo/uprated then.

what is critical about the installation - other than ensuring that they are the correct size and within tolerance?

Simon

1 - 20 of 21 Posts