GTR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Have a set of GT1s on my 33. There is minor blisterin underneath the anodised split rim in bubble form and chrome part of wheel requires better polishing due to scratches.

As am keping motor what do people recommend regarding refurb. Can the split rims be repowder coated and the chrome part rechromed?

Anyone recommend places in Lancs area?

Regards

Pete

·
Registered
656 Posts
been in same situation with my lm1s, couldnt get anyone to do whole job ended up splitting them myself, getting centres powder coated an polished rims myself, then reasembled them,, lots of sealent used

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GT1s

Chippy

Thanks for reply.

Looking around think this is gonna be the best solution to get these powder coated then the outside professionally polished.

How easy to reassemble?

Regards

Pete

·
GTR Register Member
269 Posts
Try The Polisher (Michael) - Only problem is he's based in Glasgow.
I got my wheels refurbished by him, so can definitely say his work is very good.

The last time I spoke to him, he was getting wheels sent to him from abroad so may be worthwhile speaking to him.

The Polisher

·
Registered
656 Posts
Chippy

Thanks for reply.

Looking around think this is gonna be the best solution to get these powder coated then the outside professionally polished.

How easy to reassemble?

Regards

Pete
i tried numerous different companies none would touch a built 3 piece split rim, could only get centers powder coated, i polished the rims myself, not hard if they are not to badly scuffed, the only problem i had was with the split rim bolts, very weird size, i ended up drilling the holes out 1 mm an bouhgt new s/steel allen bolts for them, when reasembling them use a lot of sealer on the surfaces being bolted together, then when all done run another beed of sealer around the joint an smooth of, they suffer with slow air leaks if not sealed properly. Was not the most enjoyable job ive done but one of the most rewarding seeing the finished result, best of luck if you go ahead mate. will pm you my number if you need any help,
Regards chippy

·
GTROC Member
5,037 Posts
I spoke to Gary @ Japsalon and he quote me something like £75-80 per wheel to split, polish, powdercoat and reassemble.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I am getting my panasport G7`s done by Gary at Japsalon as we speak.

I wil know the results in a week or so but from what I have seen and heard so far I have no reason to doubt they wont be fantastic.

Gary seemed to know exactly what he was doing so that would be my first port of call if you want someone to do them for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts