GTR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Following EJH#25
6,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had 4 new tyres fitted, and a couple of hours later noticed that one of the tyres was slowly deflating.
Took the car back and when the wheel was put in the water bath, we noticed that there was a split in the inside rim of the alloy wheel. I am certain that any damaged caused by the road would have deformed the wheel in some way, and not produced a crack. The crack appears (in my opinion) to have been produced as a result of excess pressure being applied to the inside of the rim by the tyre machine, in effect internal expansion, and not the result of an impact.
Has anyone else had anything similar to this?
Be interested to know,

Matt

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Matt,

Had new tryes on my rims more than a few times now and never had that experience. Sorry to hear the news.

John

·
Following EJH#25
6,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems as though it would take a considerable amount of pressure to do this to a wheel, but I hadn't heard of it before.
Had a mate check it out (NDT engineer) and he agrees that the damage is caused by a force on the internal side of the wheel.
Try explaining hoe that happened on the road?:rolleyes:

Matt.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Nope!

Hi Matt,

Have not had any bother at all with my Gt1's and have had 3 sets of tyres on them now in 6 months!!:eek:

BTW I am looking for anyone that can get hold of these RAYS wheels as i am after some more of the bluey centre caps please as mine could do with replacing!!

Cheers

Stu

·
Registered
184 Posts
Split rims

I have the same wheels and the same problem, I have six cracks in my front near side wheel and have to keep pumping up the tyre. I also need to get a new wheel but I may get a new set as the others are not in a very good state.
The wheel has been welded a number of times and I was told by ABBEY MS that this was a common problem with split rims.

It may be worth getting it welded if there is only one crack.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I was looking into getting my nismo split rims refurbished and a garage told me they would not do it because some split rims have a gasket and if damaged will leak. So does this mean if this is the case

can you buy a new gasket?

can you use some kind of sealant?

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
I wonder if this is the reason Nismo went to the minimalist design of the GT4 after the split-rim designs.

That being said, my GT1s have hit lots of curbs (in Japan, the previous owner must have been a drunk!) and are scratched up a fair bit but keep rock stable air pressure.

·
Premium Member
5,939 Posts
I have the same wheels and the same problem, I have six cracks in my front near side wheel and have to keep pumping up the tyre. I also need to get a new wheel but I may get a new set as the others are not in a very good state.
The wheel has been welded a number of times and I was told by ABBEY MS that this was a common problem with split rims.

It may be worth getting it welded if there is only one crack.
if you have six cracks in your wheel I'd be a bit more concerned about getting a new wheel than keep pumping it up

Imagine what could happen if it failed!! :eek:

Simon

·
Registered
170 Posts
I was talking to a guy in a tyre garage today about this problem and he said it is a common problem with old alloys to bubble and cause air leaks. He said there is a rubber type paint you can paint on to solve this problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts