GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All,

This forum has been a great help with my R34 and I wanted to share with you my most recent experience.

About 3 months ago, went for an upgrade on the engine internals that included the camshafts (HKS 256 In and out), turbo's (HKS 2530), pistons (HKS Forged), water pump (Nismo N1) and oil pump (Nismo N1). To build a nice track car. The ECU was changed to a HKS FCON. Given that the temp in the tropics are quite high, uprated the Radiator as well (oil cooler already fitted), as well as fit the mines cam baffle plates and nismo oil sump baffle plates to ensure good oiling and cool running. Have been driving with this set-up for about 5000KM's, slowly running it in again. Then followed about another 1200KMs of varied highway driving.

Last Sunday the big test came on the track at Sepang in Malaysia. Did 3 sets of 5 laps (5.7 km each), car was running really well ( truely humming and It felt GREAT) (Temp oil max 110, water 86) on 1Bar boost for the entire track day. (Again since the first time out on the track, did not wat to push 1.35 bar, which is my max setting).

On the 1first lap of the 4th set, in the 2nd corner, oil pressure falls to 0 bar (reading as per Nismo 2.0 version for the display which has oil pressure, and by the gauge under the speedo), oil and water temps shoot up, immediately backed of the gas, shut her down and towed her back.

Monday, tuesday and this evening, we stipped the engine apart.

Damage is to the oil pump: the nismo oil pump screw scored heavily (measured it against spec, nearly 1 mm gone) on the side facing the crankshaft, no. 5 and 6 main bearings moderately scored (both the bearings and crankshaft journals). The rest of the engine (top end: camshafts, liners, pistons, conrod bearing and journals) look great - thankfully no damage there and nothing seems out of place.

The Nismo Oil pump comes as a complete unit, so the tolerances between the screw and the housing cannot be that far off what is supposed to be.

I am at a loss as to what would have caused the oil pump to fail. I just wanted to post this tread to find out if others with similar set up and using the Nismo pump had similar experiences. Additionally, hoping to find out if there are heavier built oil pumps out there that may be worth using. Since I need a new main bearing set and crankshaft, which would you recommend as well. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Will head back to the garage with a camera to take some pictures to share with the rest, if that is useful.

regards,

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Ouch.

Sorry to hear that. It sounds like a sweet set up. Have you tried asking this question on the Oz site?

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
A problem like that from a NISMO product seems weird

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
Very sorry to hear that. At least you were quick enough to shut her down before something catastrophic happened!

There are a few other options on oil pumps. Reimax does a Gr. A pump which I believed was also used on the RBX GT-2 engine of the 400R as well as the Gr. A cars.( http://www.reimax.com/ )

Jun (http://www.junauto.co.jp/products/cylinderblock-part/rb-engine.html?en#oilpump)

And I also think Tomei do one too....but their on-line catalogue seems to be down at the moment as they have just released a new one so I can't check (http://www.tomei-p.co.jp/top/top.html)

Best of luck in fixing the engine!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

thanks DCD - as usual you are to the rescue. The Reimax Pump Screw look like its made of a different material, as the Nismo one is of a bronze like colour. It looks like they have a different pump housing/assembly as well - the Nismo pump housing/assembly is the standard Nissan one. The only thing different is the pump screw.
Any idea what main bearing set the RBX GT1 engine or the 400R uses?

just off subject - I know still owe you a 10 MB video clip of the HKS R33GTR - still have no idea how to get it to you due to the size.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Scary

Amazing that a Nismo part would exhibit such problems .. especially something critical like an Oil Pump. I bet everyone with Nismo pumps is now panicing!

Scary stuff :( Glad its not too badly damaged though ... good job you have quick reactions and stopped it quickly.

Cheers,

Dan

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I was advised like a month and a half ago that the standard Nissan oil pumps were a bit dodgy at the moment. Seems to maybe have hit your N1 pump as well then !:(

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Hipogtr

Is the Trust oil pump, the oil pump of choice for Nagata-san sicne you had your car done at Top Secret. Do you know what main bearing set you have installed at the moment?

Thanks, any help is appreciated.

Regards,

Rainer

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
SingaporeR34... Yes, the Trust oil pump was the one chosen by Nagata-san at Top Secret. As for the main bearings, Sorry, but I never asked. If you want me to find out just let me know.

Cya O!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Main bearing set

Yes please if you can find out which set he uses for his "track type" setup (as opposed to Drag racing)

Thanks

Singapore34

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank You

Thanks you DCD for posting the Vid. Appreciate it. Unfortunately, the next set of laps after the vid, oil pump kaputt.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
SINGAPORE34

Sorry to hear of your failure,
but to relate the failure to any parts manufacturer is just bull, the problem you have encountered is either crap in the oil ways when the engine was built or lack of oil, this can be from a number of reasons,the most common being an air leak at the oil pick up, it is such a shame that tuners blame products for failure when it is really something else,
I mean can you really expect NISMO to make a rubber oil pump gear, I heard a simular roumer regarding their bearings tut tut I ask you ?
Gary
GT-ART
OFFICIALY JAPANIESE:D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
gary,

I have reread the post and as I stated " I am a loss to what cause the oil pump to fail" and did solicit opinion if other had similar experiences with the pump. Air, dirt, installation, bad luck, one off bad pump, bad oil, maniac driver, all of the above, all could be a cause. In hindsight I agree, should have expressed myself better and just have said "oil pump failure", rather than "Nismo Oil Pump failure". My Bad, any make of pump may have broken in this situation.

Given that I need a new pump anyway, I was inquiring if there were others and would use the pump again if by concensus most tuners favoured it (having done more homework, I would say that there may be better ones than the Nismo one). Which one do you favour? However, given that tuners are using other brands, then I will try those. That goes for the bearings as well, they broke as the engine was running at 7000 + RPM's when the oil pressure dropped to zero. However, if told that Nismo main bearings are used by the top tuners, then Nismo will go back into the engine. If however, tuners use other bearings with good results, then I will give those a try. Which ones do you use?

Regards,

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
pump

Hi singapore34,
I only ever use Nismo crankshaft bearings,
for oil pump I only ever use HKS or JUN, the jun one is cheaper,you really must be carefull and find the real cause of the oil system faliure the answer will be there, for racing use I would also recomend a better sump baffle or the larger capacity sump by trust
regards
Gary
GT-ART
OFFICIALY JAPANISE:D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts