GTR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, so someone hit my r33 gtr the other day, and damaged the o/s/r spat,wheel,arch and side skirt mostly just paint needed apart from the spat which has a crack in it.
So does anyone know where i could get a nismo/v-spec spat,are they still sold anywhere? i've looked negnum,rhdjapan and nissan fast for part number but had no luck.
Am i right in thinking nismo spats where an optional extra then came on the v-specs as standard?
I'm going through the other guys insurance and they have arranged for me to take to a bodyshop today.
any advice could be helpful

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
In case you aren´t able to find them, you could repair it I think without much problem. Anyways I understand that being insurance who pays the repair, its always better to have a couple of new spats.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, the bodyshop didn't really seem intrested in doing the work and i don't think i'd like to leave it with them.
So guess i'll see what cash they offer and go from there.
i've got a power fc and boost controller ready to fit so might get it mapped instead lol

·
Registered
46 Posts
To be honest, if you have good hand you could repair it yourself without much problem and use the insurance money for maping!

Im quite bad at bodywork and still managed to put this off. Isn´t perfect tho so I might redo it in the future.

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To be honest, if you have good hand you could repair it yourself without much problem and use the insurance money for maping!

Im quite bad at bodywork and still managed to put this off. Isn´t perfect tho so I might redo it in the future.
Did you plastic weld your bumper? looks great. My front bumpers got a split in the same area, only an inch or two though,i've been meaning to have a go at

·
Registered
46 Posts
No, but would be a better option of what I did tho.

I used 4 layers of fiberglass with resin to reinforce from the inside. In the outside used plastic bondo to fill the imperfections and smoothen out the surface, then primer, some paint and clear coat.

As I said the result isn´t perfect, but is more because my habilities are crap, than because the method itself. It should hold pretty well tho, let´s see how it goes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you do decide to plastic weld them up be sure to get a good strong speed tape (foil tape) to keep the original shape. It was a mistake that took me hours to remedy on my front splitter :rotz:

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Think i'm going to have a go a fixing,
lol gave the arch a quick polish and most of it just rubbed off, think it was mostly rubber from his tyre.
insurance payed out enough for new wheels and a map:chuckle:

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
So, you don´t even have to touch the body anymore which is the critical part. Take your time, be crazy meticolous with each step and you will see that won´t be any difference at all with before. Shouldn´t be to hard seeing the photo.

Good luck with it!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, you don´t even have to touch the body anymore which is the critical part. Take your time, be crazy meticolous with each step and you will see that won´t be any difference at all with before. Shouldn´t be to hard seeing the photo.

Good luck with it!
the paint has got a bit of a mark left but nothing to worry about and will be sorted when i get a bit of rust taken care of.
At least with the spats i can take them off and take my time as i don't need them to drive.
I'll get some more pics up when there off:)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so.... finally got round to fixing my spats.
and found it rusting away behind them. I've hit it out and bodged with rust killer and fibreglassed for now to try and stop it getting worse until I 've got funds to get it done right.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Its hard to tell from the pics but has that rusted inside the wheel arch and made its way out, or was the spat trapping water behind which has rusted inwards? Id be checking the other side for peace of mind too.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its hard to tell from the pics but has that rusted inside the wheel arch and made its way out, or was the spat trapping water behind which has rusted inwards? Id be checking the other side for peace of mind too.
the last two pics are of the other side, i'd say it's rust from outside in, the amount of mud and crap behind them.

·
Registered
86 Posts
There is a set on ebay, some fiberglass reproductions, which seem to be made in england. I am tempted to order a set and see the quality.

Are yours OEM?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There is a set on ebay, some fiberglass reproductions, which seem to be made in england. I am tempted to order a set and see the quality.

Are yours OEM?
mine are oem and made of plastic(abs I think) rather than fiberglass.

I've now fixed them, ended up using fiberglass rather than plastic welding.
I'll get some pics up at some point. I'm happy with how they turned out.

I used a 2k clear coat in a rattle can which you mix the hardener by pulling and twisting a bit out the bottom of can. never seen this before but very happy with the results.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts