GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had any experience with the Nismo water spray kit for the R34 ?????

I've never actually been in a car with a water spray and although I understand the theory, is it worth the hassle of having to keep filling it up etc etc ?????

It's about 50,000 yen apparently, just wanted opinions, experiences ???

Cheers

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
not too sure but.....

Hi,

I'm not too sure about how much power you gain from the water spray mod, I suppose it depends on the weather.
It does, however, look well cool !
And if you are into drag racing I think it would have a psycological thing over the guy you are about to race, I know if I looked over and saw water squirting over the intercooler of my enemy's car I'd be thinking "that thing has got something that I need "!!

That said I reckon you could probably make one for about 20 quid with a couple of old washer nozzles and a washer pump.
the parts could easily be scourced from a breakers.

If anyone does know what/how much difference they make I'd also be intersted to hear.

cheers
Steve

·
Registered
534 Posts
water spray

I wouldn't think it would do a hell of a lot as you are only getting cooling from the water evaporation, and I imagine you are not evaporating much water.

Evaporation rate and cooling depends on rel humidity ... I have an engineer mate who might be able to give a ready reconing answer

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
IC water spray.

Julian Edgar of Autospeed did an article on water spray cooling a little while back and it did seem to be pretty effective. They sell an 'intelligent' water spray controller module which I've contemplated buying myself. It's the water storage which I think could be a problem especially if you fit an oil catch tank which I'm also thinking of.

The article is at: http://www.autospeed.com/A_0527/page1.html

Peter.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
mmmmmm..

Hi Chaps,

We have been discussing this for the past half hour or so.

It is generally felt that as long as the water was colder than the ambient air temperature it would cool the intercooler to that of the water.

Wind chill does not affect things which are not alive or heated from within, so the intercooler will only assume the temperature of the surrounding air, no matter how fast the car is travelling.
So if we then spray cold water on the intercooler the water will cool the exterior of the I/C a lot faster than the air because it conducts heat a lot better than air.

The I/C works better as you are going faster because you are getting a lot more air through it, hence conducting faster but the actual charge temperature of the air will not drop below that of the surrounding air but we believe with water injection you could drop the temperature a little thus giving a slight power gain.

An example of an inanimate object not being affected by windchill is the temperature senor on a car that gives the outside temperature...

I hope I haven't opened a can of worms with this one..
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
534 Posts
interesting

and probably correct, though he does not say by how much his pre-boost spray system actually cools the IC by?

P

·
0 Posts
a mate of mine rigged up his own water spray system using his windscreen washer lines and some cheap nozzles. the then just dropped ice cubes into his washer resevoir :)

on a track day (with stock intercooler, r33 gtr) it dropped his intake temp by 12 degrees C, so it was pretty effective. then again this is in australia, not sure if it would make that much difference in the UK :)

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Re: interesting

Joss said:
and probably correct, though he does not say by how much his pre-boost spray system actually cools the IC by?
You need to read parts 2, 3 & 4 for the whole story. It achieved a reduction of 16 deg C on his Audi S4; a pretty useful reduction me thinks...

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So we're not really much closer to deciding if it's worth it or not then !! :D

I'm based in NZ so I suppose from the comments made that it will help during the summer months more than anything else.

I suppose the other downside is continually having water dripping from the front of your car etc etc. It's probably easier to give it a miss until there's a more definite answer from someone with a kit fitted.

I'll have a read through the article above too and see if it fits with my pre conceived ideas about what effect I thought it would have.

Cheers for the info fellas.

Fraser
:smokin:

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What a great article !! Makes sense too..........

So what's peoples general opinion on water sprays ????? Tossy extra or useful addon, considering the extra weight I wonder if it's worth it.

Cheers
Fraser

·
Registered
534 Posts
to spray or not to spray

It looks so cool, it has to be worth it :)

There's a picture of one in action on the website under R34 extras :D

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Which websites that ???????

There's a picture in the nicely bound brochure they gave me with the car, that's where I got the idea.........don't suppose anyone would know what's actually in the nismo kit ??????

DCD's the only one I suppose and he's temporarily unavailable !!

I mean I know what's basically in it, but after reading that article this morning, if it's doesn't have some smarts with it you'll be forever filling it up !

So anymore votes for yes or no to water spraying ?????? Tossy extra or not...........I'm kinda swaying with Joss, it's fairly cheap and the toss value alone's gotta be a bit of fun...........I wonder how many people I can convince it'll be worth and extra 25 horse...........I bet you it's possible to convince the average Joe !!!!!!

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
IC water spray.

For what it's worth, I reckon it's a good idea for two reasons really. Sure you'll likely gain a marginal amount of power particularly when it's hot or if you're pushing on a bit on track but it should also offer some more protection against detonation. Keeping the charge temp as low as possible has got to a good thing especially when it's at a reasonable cost, depending on whether you diy or get a badged up piece of kit.

The Autospeed controller sounds a good piece of kit as it is 'intelligent' and appears to be economical with water so you don't have to have to keep filling her up. I guess you could site the water reservoir in the boot as there's not a lot of room under the bonnet. :)

Peter.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Peter, I think I'm getting more and more OK with the idea since as you said it's not that expensive and it certainly can't do any harm can it ?

Cheers
Fraser

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Water spray

Not sure if this helps but Demon Tweeks offer three varietys. They come with on/off switches as well as sensors so can be set up to run only when really needed.

It may be worth a look just to see what is available.
Their web site is www.demon-tweeks.co.uk

John

·
Registered
534 Posts
Aquamist

Ahh .. but that's an into the cylinder water injection system ...

The site talks of flow rates up to 300 ml / minute ... even if it's controlled electronicaly, you are going to go through a LOT of water :(

Still, it sounds good.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Thinking about this...

Water sprayed onto the intercooler should actually make quite a difference... I got my old A level physics book out..

At 20 oC the latent heat of vaporization of Water is 2.45M Joules (that's million!), so if you evaporate just 10cc of water, it'll suck 24,500J of energy out of the Intercooler.

So if the core is aluminium and is 5kg..complete guess here... (aluminium has a specific heat capacity of 900 J/kg oC) ... so the evaporation of 10cc of water should reduce the core's temp by 5 oC. which in turn will "have a go" at the hot air pumping through it from the turbo.

I guess it's more complex than this, with air flow, pressure drop and time coming into it... maybe someone more knowlegable will add to this.

Anyway .. I want one :)

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Talk to Shin at Prospec, I think he's got them in stock.

Cheers
Fraser

1 - 20 of 21 Posts