GTR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...or at least, so says a press release from Nissan to the Japanese business media!:eek:
A friend who works for Mitsubishi Bank saw the headline today, but I'm sure it relates to the demise of the R34 GT-R which has been announced for August 02.
As Richard Meaden was interviewing the designer of the "35" GT-R only last Friday, I'm sure he would have mentioned it if he knew it was about to get canned!
My source has promised a full translation of the full story later today, but if Dino or anyone else knows what's happening, let us know.
I reckon this will firm up the prices of R34s! (damn, I was just waiting for the prices to drop...)

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
As tragic as this news is, I actually find this comforting. For existing R34 owners, this can only mean strong residuals and classic cult status for the future.

Cool.

Cem

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
True

Hi there,

The release of "V-spec II NUR." and "M-spec NUR." means the 2nd generation GTR will finish end of August.
It is because Nissan cannot get through the new 2002 Japanese emission regulation with GTR.
It is the same situation with Toyota Supra, Mazda RX-7.
Toyota and Mazda also says they will stop manufacturing Supra and RX-7 on July this year.

Yours,
Shin

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Well there goes my chances of buying one in 5 years time. :sad: Least it means better resell value for you existing R34 owners (gits :p)

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the end of an era

Yeah, as I thought, the report only refers to the current models. As far as anyone knows, there will definitely be a new GT-R in '04.
But it is still a sad day, when you hear of the death of an engine like the RB26.
As I have stated before, I don't believe the enormous strength of that engine was necessarily deliberately "over-engineered" into it. I think that the lack of sophisticated CAD/CAM in the 60s just led to a happy accident of the cast iron lump being strong enough to handle 1000+bhp, they never would have intended that margin of safety!
Therefore, you can take it as read, that the new engine (V6 or V8) will not have that capability, there would be no benefit to Nissan if it did.
With the simultaneous death of the Silvia, Supra and RX7, this truly is, The End of an Era.

"Nissan Motor will discontinue production of the Skyline GTR and Silvia sports coupes in August with the decision resulting from falling demand for both models and the fact that they do not meet exhaust-emission regulations set in 2000. Only 2,200 GTR's were sold last year down from about 8,500 in 1995. The production of cars that do not meet the emission regulations will be banned from September. Nissan plans to revive the Fairlady Z sports car this summer as a new model conforming to the emission standards."

(thanks to Nigel Wates for sending this.)

·
Registered
992 Posts
Skyline GT-R

I have one word at means we won't get the next genaration of GT-R's.

R E N A U L T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

They don't like the cold steel up them!!.

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
Ok I didn't read the first post right.....I thought we were talking about the next GTR:rolleyes: Yea Japan is going through a bit of a reorganization with its emissions......so old engines/cars are on their way out. About time too as pollution levels are pritty high here. To understand this you just have to get stuck behind a big diesel lorry and you will see what has not been seen for ages over in europe....and that is un-catalized clouds of black smoke. A bit off-topic here but it really is amazing that a country like Japan is so behind in emissions....especially for diesels!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts