GTR Forum banner

41 - 60 of 148 Posts

·
Vendor
1,664 Posts
Will the likes of litchfield or warranty direct warranty the audio/nav system. I was looking at a car at a nissan dealer and quizing him on warranty work they had done to previous cars. He listed very little but then came out with a story of a head unit with a faulty button. They replaced it under warranty but he said the bill was around £7,000 :eek:

·
Registered
9,073 Posts
Will the likes of litchfield or warranty direct warranty the audio/nav system. I was looking at a car at a nissan dealer and quizing him on warranty work they had done to previous cars. He listed very little but then came out with a story of a head unit with a faulty button. They replaced it under warranty but he said the bill was around £7,000 :eek:
Speak to Iain Litchfield about this.

Last time I was there he mentioned the warranty to me and I asked exactly that question. The short answer was yes.

It was exactly why I was interested as in all honesty the standard Nissan warranty is no guarantee once you have mods. You take that risk once to start tuning. The value of the warranty I would hope to relie on is in covering things like the audio system, and the headlight units etc.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Just be careful when comparing warranties that they are not all equal.

At £760 Warranty Direct will not be pay for labour to get to the failed component and neither will they pay diagnostic fees. So if your gearbox goes then you'll be definitely glad you've got it but for smaller items you'll still be paying a hefty chunk towards the cost of repair.

I'd be interested in Litchfield's policy on this, but I'm sure it will be very reasonable.
awaiting docs, but was told on phone £760 included labour at upto £200 ph i.e approved HPC and diagnostics

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm English and angry. So I wrote a letter :D

---

Dear James,

I would like to place a formal complaint with you regarding Nissan's handling of extended warranties on the Nissan GT-R. I have been passed your details by another GT-R owner. If you are not the appropriate person to handle the complaint I'd be grateful if you could pass it on.

The complaint is based on:

- Last minute pricing information
- Lack of detailed information on terms and conditions
- The price point
- Lack of co-ordination with HPCs

1) Last minute pricing information
My car is a May 2009 UK GT-R supplied by the HPC in Slough (WLMG). I find myself less than a month away from the manufacturer's warranty expiry and despite several queries raised I only have a few lines of an email confirming the pricing of Nissan's proposed extended warranty. This is unacceptable as it doesn't give me time to take a fair market analysis of the warranty options available to me. As a customer service point it's appalling.

2) Lack of detailed information on terms and conditions
The few lines on a email that I have do not provide me with any of the information I need to make sure the proposed warranty is a suitable product for my needs. For the flagship product of a global brand I find this amazing. My expectation would have been a clear pricing policy months in advance and an information pack with details of what is covered, what the exceptions are and all other details I need to make my choice.

3) The price point
The price that the HPC has supplied to me is £2656.00 for 12 months (up to 60k miles) and £6566.00 for 24 months (up to 100k miles). This is out of kilter with all of the other performance cars I have owned and those I can benchmark against. I had understood that the GT-R's aim was to be an everyday supercar for anyone. This pricing policy doesn't reflect that core value.

4) Lack of co-ordination with HPCs
I have spoken to my HPC several times now to get the pricing on this warranty. I would have expected a pro-active approach from Nissan and my HPC, however after more prompting I got a few lines of an email yesterday. I was directed to a call centre who advised me that they were no longer handling new warranty extensions (after Dec 1st last year). I referred back to the HPC who have now raised this to the area manager to get further details on the warranty. Looking at activity on various websites I can see that many other owners are in the same position and their HPCs seem to have had a similar lack of information from Nissan GB on this issue.

As a first time customer of Nissan I find this extremely disappointing. I look forward to your response.

Kindest regards,

·
Registered
145 Posts
As a comparison, this is how Porsche deal with it:

Clear website showing the product, pricing. Reassurance from Porsche - Porsche Service | Porsche

And clear PDF showing headline terms and exclusions.
http://files.porsche.com/filestore.aspx/Porsche-Download.pdf?pool=uk&type=download&id=porsche_warranty_assistance&lang=none&filetype=default&version=2

It may be Nissan have got all of this and we just haven't seen it. But it seems unlikely given that the HPCs don't know about it and no-one on here knows about it either.

·
Registered
9,073 Posts
let's say all your questions were answered?

do you seriously expect them to come down on price?

If they don't, would you really considered £6500 for two years warranty? What's the value of your claims so far?

I reckon Litchfields would rebuild your stock engine/gearbox for less than that IF you had a failure and if you don't you'll be £6500 better off.

Come to think of it, that's probably why Litchfields are doing a warranty.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm not sure what to expect. So far all I have is a few lines in an email with some pricing - but nothing official. I want to hear:

1) What the official line is from Nissan GB with all the terms and conditions so I can make an informed decision
2) Why Nissan has allowed it to come to this

If Nissan don't know that we, as owners, are p1ssed off then they won't be able to do anything to resolve it. The first step is to tell them and then see what they do.

I'll be asking Iain at Litchfield to give me all the T&Cs, exclusions etc too. Sure, the headline price may be superb but if there are many exclusions and options as to why the warranty won't pay then the higher priced product may be right. I'm not saying that's the case here as Iain and Litchfield have an excellent reputation - I'm saying that I want all the info to make my decision and I'm p1ssed off because so far I have none.

On my car the following warranty work has been done:

- Full instrument pod replacement
- Bellhousing fix
- Driver's footwell carpet replaced
- Tyre Valve sender unit

I suspect that's quite a cost. But yes, it's *very* unlikely I'd go for the prices they seem to be quoting now.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Well voiced.

Is there any way we can help by making it clear that you are representing a number of shared interests ?

and perhaps lend additional weight and visibility to them of the brand damage / marketing impact that is a result of poor management on their part ?

·
Registered
680 Posts

I thought I read somewhere on the forum that the audio components have a 5 year warranty on them...........Did I read wrong??

·
Registered
145 Posts
Well voiced.

Is there any way we can help by making it clear that you are representing a number of shared interests ?

and perhaps lend additional weight and visibility to them of the brand damage / marketing impact that is a result of poor management on their part ?
Sure. I think for now I'll stick to the line that there are many likeminded owners, but if I need to get specific then I'll put a request into this forum thread.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Sure. I think for now I'll stick to the line that there are many likeminded owners, but if I need to get specific then I'll put a request into this forum thread.
For what it's worth I hinted quite a while ago, via this forum, that the GTROC should bring this up as an issue with Nissan. I understood the GTROC have regular meetings with them. Perhaps I should have been a little more vocal, but it strikes me that, for 09 owners, this is a pretty big issue. Not all of us are so gung ho that we're happy to live without a warranty - as a vocal bit of this forum seem to be.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
For what it's worth I hinted quite a while ago, via this forum, that the GTROC should bring this up as an issue with Nissan. I understood the GTROC have regular meetings with them. Perhaps I should have been a little more vocal, but it strikes me that, for 09 owners, this is a pretty big issue. Not all of us are so gung ho that we're happy to live without a warranty - as a vocal bit of this forum seem to be.
I'm not gung ho and I've now survived for four days without a warranty, and I don't plan on buying one.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Luckily I have 18 months left on my warranty so no need to panic. But kudos to you smifffy for taking the initiative :thumbsup: a well worded, well set out argument and hopefully we will get a resolution to this farcical situation.

I'm English and angry. So I wrote a letter :D

---

Dear James,

I would like to place a formal complaint with you regarding Nissan's handling of extended warranties on the Nissan GT-R. I have been passed your details by another GT-R owner. If you are not the appropriate person to handle the complaint I'd be grateful if you could pass it on.

The complaint is based on:

- Last minute pricing information
- Lack of detailed information on terms and conditions
- The price point
- Lack of co-ordination with HPCs

1) Last minute pricing information
My car is a May 2009 UK GT-R supplied by the HPC in Slough (WLMG). I find myself less than a month away from the manufacturer's warranty expiry and despite several queries raised I only have a few lines of an email confirming the pricing of Nissan's proposed extended warranty. This is unacceptable as it doesn't give me time to take a fair market analysis of the warranty options available to me. As a customer service point it's appalling.

2) Lack of detailed information on terms and conditions
The few lines on a email that I have do not provide me with any of the information I need to make sure the proposed warranty is a suitable product for my needs. For the flagship product of a global brand I find this amazing. My expectation would have been a clear pricing policy months in advance and an information pack with details of what is covered, what the exceptions are and all other details I need to make my choice.

3) The price point
The price that the HPC has supplied to me is £2656.00 for 12 months (up to 60k miles) and £6566.00 for 24 months (up to 100k miles). This is out of kilter with all of the other performance cars I have owned and those I can benchmark against. I had understood that the GT-R's aim was to be an everyday supercar for anyone. This pricing policy doesn't reflect that core value.

4) Lack of co-ordination with HPCs
I have spoken to my HPC several times now to get the pricing on this warranty. I would have expected a pro-active approach from Nissan and my HPC, however after more prompting I got a few lines of an email yesterday. I was directed to a call centre who advised me that they were no longer handling new warranty extensions (after Dec 1st last year). I referred back to the HPC who have now raised this to the area manager to get further details on the warranty. Looking at activity on various websites I can see that many other owners are in the same position and their HPCs seem to have had a similar lack of information from Nissan GB on this issue.

As a first time customer of Nissan I find this extremely disappointing. I look forward to your response.

Kindest regards,

41 - 60 of 148 Posts