GTR Forum banner

121 - 140 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Was at the dealership in the weekend and spoke to some of the staff about the cost of the warranty. I mentioned its a ridicuclous price when you can get a Porsche warranty for 911 turbo for around 1k. They seemed to have agreed and have already raised the pricing issue with Nissan GB but it fell on deaf ears.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Latest response from James:

Hi andy

Thank you for your response, as I said on Friday, comments are always appreciated. I will discuss your observations as customer with the After Sales team who are responsible for warranties.

Fortunately I have known the directors of WLMG since the business was established in the mid nineties and can discuss a wide range of issues in a positive manner.

My reply:

Thanks James - I look forward to your feedback following your
discussion with the After Sales team.

--

So in short abdicating responsibility for the issue of late arrangement of the warranty and the pricing to the After Sales team. I'll followup next week - I think we deserve an answer to this so will escalate to the MD if we get no-where with this route.

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
I think you are doing a sterling job on this.

But I'm not expecting Nissan to be sensible, because I don't believe they care about customers with older cars.
If you didn't care you'd be better selling 10 warranties at £3000 profit than 100 at £200 profit. Which I think is a simple version of their plan.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I need an extended warranty for end of June. Middlehust are quoting £1500 but this includes an optimization. Litchfield are quoting £1000 but need to fully inspect first which is extra unless you get the 36 month service done by them. Middlehurst 36 month is £1000 but Litchfield just under £780. Would be no brainer but just concerned re marketability if need to sell. Have to say that both costs are higher than I paid for main dealer service and warranty for previous C4s 997 !! Any further advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
I need an extended warranty for end of June. Middlehust are quoting £1500 but this includes an optimization. Litchfield are quoting £1000 but need to fully inspect first which is extra unless you get the 36 month service done by them. Middlehurst 36 month is £1000 but Litchfield just under £780. Would be no brainer but just concerned re marketability if need to sell. Have to say that both costs are higher than I paid for main dealer service and warranty for previous C4s 997 !! Any further advice would be appreciated.
I would (and do) go with Litchfields. Top class customer service :thumbsup:

As for resale it shouldn't affect residules too much.

Some would say that an enthusiast looking for a well maintained car would prefer a Litchfield service history due to the fact that they do things properly with care and attention.

Some would say that people prefer a full HPC histroy.

To be honest though if you switch to an independent all the money you save on servicing will be more than any affect of residual value. The only problem is though once you get to Litchfields you may find that you come out with more than a service....it's all to easy to get bitten by the modding bug!

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
At these prices used cars with a Nissan Extended warranty will be very much the exception in my opinion, I'd expect most people will either go Litchfield or just go without warranty. Given that I doubt it'll affect used values much.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yup, stick a grand a year under the mattress. That'll pay for most jobs that need doing.

I'm happy for no warranty and I'll keep the car a few years so we'll see if I end up eating my words or enjoying the fact that I saved thousands of pounds.

Yearly servicing for me to. Well chuffed.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Yup, stick a grand a year under the mattress. That'll pay for most jobs that need doing.

I'm happy for no warranty and I'll keep the car a few years so we'll see if I end up eating my words or enjoying the fact that I saved thousands of pounds.

Yearly servicing for me to. Well chuffed.
I'm not sure £1000 each year under you bed would help if your gearbox gave up or the audio head unit packed in (quoted £7000 by NHPC to replace). I get what your saying but would you do the same with your £800/year for your car insurance (if it wasn't compulsary) if it helped you out with the odd scrape or broken window to pinch your laptop. Get your car nicked and you will be glad you took it out.

I think it also depends on how long you keep your cars. I know that selling a car with a warranty is lot easier and indeed, may add value, to the car you are selling. I think the GTRs parts costs are quite well known so many people looking to buy one will look for one with a warranty and will pay that little bit extra. I've had my fair share of M3's in the past and so knew the E46 market quite well back then. Having the extended warranty on a 3.5 year old car would of added the cost of the warranty onto the price of your car. If you were selling cars often, it was free in a sense.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm not sure £1000 each year under you bed would help if your gearbox gave up or the audio head unit packed in (quoted £7000 by NHPC to replace). I get what your saying but would you do the same with your £800/year for your car insurance (if it wasn't compulsary) if it helped you out with the odd scrape or broken window to pinch your laptop. Get your car nicked and you will be glad you took it out.

I think it also depends on how long you keep your cars. I know that selling a car with a warranty is lot easier and indeed, may add value, to the car you are selling. I think the GTRs parts costs are quite well known so many people looking to buy one will look for one with a warranty and will pay that little bit extra. I've had my fair share of M3's in the past and so knew the E46 market quite well back then. Having the extended warranty on a 3.5 year old car would of added the cost of the warranty onto the price of your car. If you were selling cars often, it was free in a sense.
Indeed. It's all a gamble, right? But what 2600 quid per year warranty tells you is that Nissan don't like the odds much. And that completely stinks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for all your advice.

You will never believe this - saw Gary at Middlehursts Monday to check brakes as I was getting some judder through the stearing. Could just be build up on disks as I do not use the car that often. Today no audio !!!!! Rang Middlehurts they say sounds as though head unit has gone. Luckily still in warranty for 2 months. Need to check which extended warranties would have covered similar issue.

·
Registered
195 Posts

Yeah you do make some good points there. Maybe its down to the miles you do or how hard the car is being driven. I know people keep saying how much a gearbox costs but a well maintained carefully driven low miled car should be fine really, if my gearbox was a duffer I think it would have failed before it hit 3 years. There will be the odd one go of course. Its a risk I'm personally going to take but I understand others may not want to. Perhaps if it was £400-ish I'd do it but £1k plus a year seems a lot of my hard earnt money.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Today no audio !!!!! Rang Middlehurts they say sounds as though head unit has gone. Luckily still in warranty for 2 months. Need to check which extended warranties would have covered similar issue.
Someone mentioned recently on here that audio components had 5 year warranty on them. No spoken with MH to confirm myself though

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
The next couple of years will be interesting, there's going to be a mixture of feedback from owners IMO.

- some won't bother with an extended warranty and will enjoy an issue free couple of years
- some won't bother with warranty and will have the odd minor issue
- some won't bother with warranty and will have gearbox or engine failure costing say £7-8K to repair (a rebuild for example)

The mix of the above will determine the uptake on extended warranties over the coming years. Right now, no one knows if they are good value or not.

Anders

·
Registered
401 Posts
I think it does also depend on how much use and mileage one is doing,
Im really stuck dont know what the hell to do, i do 3k a year no track, no sideways ,no launch, i treat mine with great care as it is my pride and joy, does that mean there's less chance of anything going wrong? and i will never sell it its for keeps.
And as for servicing does it really need a service every 6 months after only approx 1-2k:confused:

·
Registered
195 Posts
I think it does also depend on how much use and mileage one is doing,
Im really stuck dont know what the hell to do, i do 3k a year no track, no sideways ,no launch, i treat mine with great care as it is my pride and joy, does that mean there's less chance of anything going wrong? and i will never sell it its for keeps.
And as for servicing does it really need a service every 6 months after only approx 1-2k:confused:
Your similar to me with usage. Realistically no it doesn't need new oil if it's only done 3k miles this is why I'm actually glad the warranty ends this year. Whenever people mention possible issues it's always £10k gearbox's. Are they really that likely to fail?

I'll take my chances. If my car costs me a few hundred here and there then so be it. I'm personally not comfortable with paying £1000/£1500 just for piece of mind.

I have a focus rs just coming out of warranty. Bought it new, not had a spanner on it. Lots of guys on the rs forums are discussing this subject too. I guess if your doing 20000 miles a year then your far more likely to have failures so it may be an option to consider.

I'm impressed with the build quality of the GTR so I'm thinking it'll be just fine.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I also thought along the same lines as both above posts but at my 18 month serivce I needed a new bellhousing, 6.5k miles, never tracked, never launched, always warmed up and cooled down etc; nothing noted at 12 month service and 2k miles ago but yet Nobles replaced it under warranty. So my point is even if you treat the car with mechanical sympathy there is no set conditions that the bellhousing fails under and is a major area of concern for any r35 owner (or potential) imho until Nissan provide confidence that they will fit the updated part when required in or out of warranty as the original obviously has a design/manufacturing flaw. That's a 3k job if paying allegedly so not just a couple of hundred :(

·
Registered
401 Posts
Your similar to me with usage. Realistically no it doesn't need new oil if it's only done 3k miles this is why I'm actually glad the warranty ends this year. Whenever people mention possible issues it's always £10k gearbox's. Are they really that likely to fail?

I'll take my chances. If my car costs me a few hundred here and there then so be it. I'm personally not comfortable with paying £1000/£1500 just for piece of mind.

I have a focus rs just coming out of warranty. Bought it new, not had a spanner on it. Lots of guys on the rs forums are discussing this subject too. I guess if your doing 20000 miles a year then your far more likely to have failures so it may be an option to consider.

I'm impressed with the build quality of the GTR so I'm thinking it'll be just fine.[
Your right mate the car is solid my only concern really is the bell housing:nervous:

·
Registered
377 Posts
I also thought along the same lines as both above posts but at my 18 month serivce I needed a new bellhousing, 6.5k miles, never tracked, never launched, always warmed up and cooled down etc; nothing noted at 12 month service and 2k miles ago but yet Nobles replaced it under warranty. So my point is even if you treat the car with mechanical sympathy there is no set conditions that the bellhousing fails under and is a major area of concern for any r35 owner (or potential) imho until Nissan provide confidence that they will fit the updated part when required in or out of warranty as the original obviously has a design/manufacturing flaw. That's a 3k job if paying allegedly so not just a couple of hundred :(
My concern also but after speaking with Litchfields, Iain reckons about £700 to fix if out of warranty and done by them.

121 - 140 of 148 Posts