GTR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellas/gals.... Can anyone beat the High tecs? Here's my problem.... my 1995 gtr started to cough a bit while travelling along, likr it had a slight misfire. it didn't do this on acceleration. left it into Nissan Peterborough and after 5 hours of Diagnostic, they found only very minor issues. They replaced fuel filter, some air intake valve. No engine light ever came on except on ignition. they tried 1 suspect coil, but problem still remained, my timing was out by two teeth, so they say. then they said it maybe a faulty igniton amp. so after paying 675 to get my car back WORSE because it then started to have the cough/misfire fault on acceleration too.???!! so i changed the coil pack beacuse they said it was common for 2 coils to go down. I bought 6 second hand coil packs and the car ran much much better, actually better than it ever did but now the slight cough still remains while driving normally. Could it be possible for the ignition amp and coils to be gone at the smae time?? my car is as it left the factory zero mods and they tec said he has never seen one with so little issues. so can anyone shed some light and beat the high tec???? is there anyone in the peterborough area that can let me try out their ignition amp? a tank of fuel for anyone who can do this. Thanks for listening to the ramblings of a fellow gtr owner. Joe number is 07 508 608 708 if you can help on the ignition amp test.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey thanks for the reply...i have irridum plugs and the gap was perfect. The 'high tec' said it was a common fault by d.i.y ers to put in worng plugs and wrong gaps etc. that was the first question he asked. but thanks for the reply. i wish i didn't love these cars so much.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Coil pack wiring loom is quite common. The connectors get brittle and the cables sometime pull out of them. I just made sure i pushed the connector on and then wiggled the cable's while pushing them in just to make sure.

Good luck mate

·
Registered
353 Posts
do you know if the car has ever had engine replaced or has it ever been near m*J per******ce in walsall ? maybe the engine was replaced sometime before you bought the car ? altho it was running fine its possible the wiring loom is damaged.
happend to my car and was coughing. on checking every possible wires there was less spark due to this fault, cost me 3 days labour @£92 per hour thanks to the garage i have mentioned above , was running fine when i just wanted more power and made mistake giving those monkeys my car to upgrade engine internals got it back coughing , ended up directing a new loom for coilpacks and injectors, runs like a dream now , the new garage had taken 3 whole days to find the fault i was there all time looking at them checking and ended up making new loom just for the injectors and coilpacks
id definatly look into the loom itself cos the funny thing is on machines resistance was fine while engine was off but 2 cylinders were down on start up , the garage above had managed to crush it while replacing engine
hope this helps its just a thought

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Never thought of wiring loom...although i did check it out and sprayed wd40 into all connectors etc. I imported the car myself direct form japan, flew out there to my brother (he lives there) grade 4 and half, got all the history too. You see all the diagnostics and tolerences were perfect, to the surprise of the 'high tec' mafs perfect, it really baffaled them, not hard i imagine. might try loom and a different ignition amp. thanks n600hks and co.... other than that these cars are just impossible to fall out of love with, i forgive it anything..thanks again guys.

·
Registered
154 Posts
as an ex nissan hi tec they really dont get taught anything on the skylines! it is an import after all, i know they sold a few here but not many! If you took a GT40 to ford with a fault what do you think would happen?
Nissan garages get so much greif but there are a few out there who are enthusiasts and look after skyline, 350 and 200sx owners as much as possible as i and the other 3 techs did!

As for the fault def sounds electrical fault amoung the IGN side of things check the full length of the ign loom coil packs back, then ensure all the plugs are in good condition and all wires secure. Next using contact cleaner get rid of all that wd40 as it is an insulator!!!! it may conduct at first but when it has driven moisture out and evaporated it leaves a greasy lubricating film! i would also consider changing plugs and poss look into split fires the best mod i ever did to my gtr and gtst!
hope this helps, coops

·
Banned
686 Posts
sounds like a dirty maf had a friends
R33 that was also doing the same thing and it gave major problems was also on and off and was so so intermitent (SP) it might be a good idea to change the airflows both at the same time and check if it does it, if not then you have your cause. then eliminate which air flow is causing the problem .
Just a tip i might be wrong !!!! but try it and its easy...

wifes legacy B4 has the same problem borrowed a Airflow meter and solved the problem .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts