GTR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy new year people!

I recently installed led tail lights in my nissan gtr r35 2009. It was working perfectly for 2 days. Then I tried to fit the LED side markers and I think I messed with the wiring a bit. Since then the left side indicator bulbs are blinking too fast. When I put hazard lights on, both side blinks at a same speed but when I indicate left, it blinks too fast and is dimmer than the right side. Also, only the front and side turn signal is blinking fast and dimmer, the rear left turn signal (from the new led tail lights) isnt working at all.

Anyone had this issue before? Any solution recommended?

appreciate any help

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Happy new year people!

I recently installed led tail lights in my nissan gtr r35 2009. It was working perfectly for 2 days. Then I tried to fit the LED side markers and I think I messed with the wiring a bit. Since then the left side indicator bulbs are blinking too fast. When I put hazard lights on, both side blinks at a same speed but when I indicate left, it blinks too fast and is dimmer than the right side. Also, only the front and side turn signal is blinking fast and dimmer, the rear left turn signal (from the new led tail lights) isnt working at all.

Anyone had this issue before? Any solution recommended?

appreciate any help
Hi, I have fitted LEDs to my 2010 without too many issues, but I did fit ballast resistors for the rears, but they weren’t needed for the fronts (both the turn lamps in the headlights and the side repeaters). I tried to search on the forum here for the posts at the time but I cant find them. You may need to install ballast connectors for the rears too. So spend some time searching and reading all the threads and you will find what you need, including recommended suppliers of the best bulbs and the ballast looms. Good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, I have fitted LEDs to my 2010 without too many issues, but I did fit ballast resistors for the rears, but they weren’t needed for the fronts (both the turn lamps in the headlights and the side repeaters). I tried to search on the forum here for the posts at the time but I cant find them. You may need to install ballast connectors for the rears too. So spend some time searching and reading all the threads and you will find what you need, including recommended suppliers of the best bulbs and the ballast looms. Good luck.
Hi

I dont think balast connectors are the issue here. If so, I believe the issue would be on both the sides. The issue here is only on the left side of the car. Right side is perfectly fine.

the left side headlight turn signal and in the side marker is blinking fast and dimmer than the right side. The read left side turn signal is not working at all weirdly. When I switch the bulb from the left side marker to the right side marker, the bulb seems to work fine. So bulbs are not the issue here. Its somethinf else.

Any guesses of solutions perhaps?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dodgy original bulb on the left side?
I bought the LED tail lights 2 days ago which comes with LED turn signal built in. I doubt it is dodgy. Although thats the turn signal that is not working anymore. The front side marker and head light turn signal bulbs are blinking fast and dimmer. I checked the bulbs by swapping them to the right side, they work fine. So bulb is not the issue.

so bulbs are fine. Using OEM bulbs in the front turn signal. Left side front and side turn signal bulbs blinking too fast and dimmer. Rear ones are replaced with LED. Rear left LED turn signal (new) is not flashing at all :/

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Definitely sounds like a resistance issue. As you might know, normally when a standard bulb goes in an indicator that side of the car's indicator lights will flash quicker (less resistance). LED lights sometimes need ballast resistors to prevent a similar situation of fast flashing. I think that where Richard and I are coming from.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Definitely sounds like a resistance issue. As you might know, normally when a standard bulb goes in an indicator that side of the car's indicator lights will flash quicker (less resistance). LED lights sometimes need ballast resistors to prevent a similar situation of fast flashing. I think that where Richard and I are coming from.
Could this be the reason my rear left LED indicator is not working? So when I add the resistor, it would start working?

also the front left are dimmer than right side. Would that be solved by adding a resistor too?
Currently the right side is working perfectly fine and has no resistor though

apologies for too many questions, just want to get my head around this and dont want to mess with electrics until i know what I am doing now.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Apologies if you have already tried this but what I would do is try swapping the right rear led bulb into the left rear indicator light. That way you will know if it's that bulb. If that makes no difference I would then take out all the left hand side bulbs (original left indicator rear) and replace with the bulbs from the right hand side. If that then works 100% you will know you have a faulty bulb within those you took out from the left. It does happen quite a bit, most are made in China and that can mean its crap quality. This is my bet for the problem - one of those bulbs is duff.

If that doesn't work then there is a problem with the left hand lighting circuit caused most likely by the new light fittings. This is where the resistor comes in and you'll need to check what ballast to use and then try that. Maybe best to go back to where you got the lights from and they might know what works and can supply on that basis. I know its frustrating but electrical gremlins can be trial and error. Just be methodical and you'll sort it (y)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Apologies if you have already tried this but what I would do is try swapping the right rear led bulb into the left rear indicator light. That way you will know if it's that bulb. If that makes no difference I would then take out all the left hand side bulbs (original left indicator rear) and replace with the bulbs from the right hand side. If that then works 100% you will know you have a faulty bulb within those you took out from the left. It does happen quite a bit, most are made in China and that can mean its crap quality. This is my bet for the problem - one of those bulbs is duff.

If that doesn't work then there is a problem with the left hand lighting circuit caused most likely by the new light fittings. This is where the resistor comes in and you'll need to check what ballast to use and then try that. Maybe best to go back to where you got the lights from and they might know what works and can supply on that basis. I know its frustrating but electrical gremlins can be trial and error. Just be methodical and you'll sort it (y)
I bought valenti jewel tail lights from knight racer
Link below

i am not sure if you can take the indicator bulb out in these as they are built in. But i just bought these 2 days ago and it was working fine for a day until i was playing with the wires in the front left side marker to install the led side markers and the issue started happening then.

and I asked a mate who has the same lights. No resistor is needed, its plug and play

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Ah OK, Albert at KR will be best placed to advise, the Valenti lights are used by a few owners so I assume are OK quality-wise. So it looks like it is the front marker light that is the issue - drop KR an email, they might have come across this before and it could be an easy fix (whether a bulb, resistance, socket issue etc).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts