GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking for another car & this looks like something i can keep & enjoy for a few years but i dont want to go into any heavy resto work on it .
I want to drive it this summer and then park up & get it cleaned up through winter .

How much do you think this cars worth as it is

1972/06
1990cc L20
51,941 kms
Driveable

Attachments

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
unless you can inspect it on the ground you wont know how much "restro" work is required

looks like junk to be honest.
:chuckle:

been told its driveable and the next inspection is 2014/10 (what do they mean by inspection ??)

Attachments

·
Registered
591 Posts
Looks like a decent project to me, although I'd be paying a price which reflects the amount of work it needs! No idea on the going rate for a tidy one but I'd pay 60% of that as a rough ballpark figure - it needs bodywork sorting and at least an engine refresh/tidy up by the look of it!

How much is it going for?

·
Registered
591 Posts
cars are more valuable if they have a shaken

cars heading towards the shaken are less desirable

their "test" / inspection is the shaken

look at the state of it.
Sounds like leasehold places! out of interest, how long is the period between inspections?

I know you only deal with cars in great condition Matt but to some of us, something which needs a bit of work is no bad thing!

·
Registered
591 Posts
every 2 years

appreciate some are projects but that just looks way too rough tbh.
Thanks Matt, I agree that it's rough but it depends what you want it for - I'd hate to modernise a pristine classic but I'd have far less reservations about slinging an RB26 into one which is closer to the scrap heap, for example!

For me, owning cars is about making your mark on them and there's a lot of scope for that on this one. It's not something to buy as a financial investment as you'll never see any money back from it but if you want a cool, unique project then this is a good start!

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like a decent project to me, although I'd be paying a price which reflects the amount of work it needs! No idea on the going rate for a tidy one but I'd pay 60% of that as a rough ballpark figure - it needs bodywork sorting and at least an engine refresh/tidy up by the look of it!

How much is it going for?
Exactly the condition dictates the price & i know i'll enjoy it through summer just slap on a M.O.T insure it and drive it about untill the weather starts changing and work on it through winter .I Hope .

price is negotiable but i dont want to piss off the owner/trader with a really low offer .
Im Really liking it.

·
Registered
618 Posts
To be honest, it looks like it needs a full-on resto with acid dipping or sandblasting.

Just look at the amount of rust!

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
I recently sold my 2 door 1979 c210 2000gt for £5500 very easily like within 1 day of listing on ebay, was ok but needed a full paint job but did have a few nice early touches arches and spoilers, but your looking at a c10 here much more desireable.

id buy it for the right price in a heartbeat ;)

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
unless you can inspect it on the ground you wont know how much "restro" work is required

looks like junk to be honest.
what on earth are you talking about its 42 years old man and obviously been used, yes it needs work but its not junk, as a gtr rep just cosmetically will be worth good money !

·
Registered
856 Posts
.....this looks like something i can keep & enjoy for a few years but i dont want to go into any heavy resto work on it .
Sorry, but you won't get away without some pretty heavy resto work on that car.

Rust showing through in big patches on rear window ledges and roof gutters is a sure signpost to more advanced rust problems in the whole 'shell. Looks like the gussets between the front inner wings ( fenders ) and firewall are starting to separate from the sheetmetal too. Big job.

Here's an example of a car that looked in similar condition until the paint was stripped:

Japanese Nostalgic Car ? View topic - My KGC10 Skyline 2000GT

·
Registered
856 Posts
I'm going to be brutally honest here, so those of a nervous disposition please look away now...

Is the car standard as it left the factory & is this engine the original engine for this car ??
The fact that you are asking these questions makes me think that you ought not to be buying it.

It's OK to buy something you don't know much about - and after all, buying something you don't know much about at least ensures that you will learn more about it - but you're putting yourself in a pretty poor starting position if you haven't done at least enough homework to answer those two particular questions. They are - being honest - pretty basic stuff that I'd expect somebody who was thinking of buying a C10-series Skyline to have swotted up on a bit. This kind of data is in all the books on the C10.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but I think it's true.

In answer to your questions:

Yes, it's pretty much stock. Only the wheels and tyres and a few other small bits and pieces are non-stock as far as I can tell from the limited pics.

Yes, that's almost certainly the L20A engine that it left the factory with. Single carb would indicate that it's a 'GT' model as opposed to the twin carbed 'GT-X' model. The Mitsuba electric fuel pump in the engine bay is a non-stock addition, and was probably added in an attempt to help with fuel percolation issue when the aircon was being used.

The car will soon be in need of a FULL tear down and body restoration. If you don't want to get involved in that, then you would be best to avoid it.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.