GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, and good morning petrolheads!

I'm new to this forum, and I am an R34 fan :wavey:
Let me introduce myself briefly, my name is Leo and I'm a lawyer, currently applying for master degree in London.

Though I claimed myself a fan, I confess that I don't know much about technical specs about all R34 variants, except for the very obvious external and a little bit internal specs of each variants.

Well, I am doing research about R34 GTR in the UK, especially the price range, mostly cost around 25.000 - 30.000 quid, depends on the spec and mods the previous owner did. I will be honest, I cannot afford the GTR right away. Every R34 fans will of course consider this a lot cheaper option, that is to acquire the R34 GT-T.

I prefer 4WD system over the FR layout of the GTT, but the financial difficulty make it near impossible to have a GTR. Now my question is, Does any of you have performed this kind of mod? Or a more basic question, is it cost effective to simply convert the GTT to 4WD? If it is, what do I have to buy? I've seen this procedure conducted in some 350Z, in the US, as well as in Germany.

Thank you so much, chaps! :bowdown1:

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
I don't think converting a GT-T to 4WD is straight forward and I highly doubt it would be cost effective either. I'm pretty sure the GT-T has a different floor pan to the GTR

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think converting a GT-T to 4WD is straight forward and I highly doubt it would be cost effective either. I'm pretty sure the GT-T has a different floor pan to the GTR
Yes, some mechanics I've met said similarly to you.. To do such procedure is probably the same as rebuild the car from scratch...

But, I still curious, though...:runaway:

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
May be easier to get an R34 GT-4 and put an RB26 into it, alternatively get an R33 or R32 GTR as they're cheaper than an R34 GTR

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
May be easier to get an R34 GT-4 and put an RB26 into it, alternatively get an R33 or R32 GTR as they're cheaper than an R34 GTR
Depending on how close a replica you want this would be the best way by far.

AFAIK the GT4 has the same gearbox/ATTESA (if manual) as the R32/33 GTR. Shouldn't be that hard to buy a relatively cheap R32/33 GTR engine to fit into the car.

You can buy bodykits to ape the look of the R34 GTR. OEM wheels aren't too hard to find either.

Not sure what an R34 GT4 goes for but say £5k to fit an RB26 and another £5k to convert trhe body/paint and do some of the interior

You could fit an MFD with some hassle. If you are really keen you could fit the Getrag box and seats but as noted above if you go to the that kind of length you're probably better off just buying an R34.

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
As you know a really decent GTT costs well under 10K and a really decent GTR costs over £25k which should tell you something

If the conversion was even half simple the world would be full of converted GTTs...............

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Hello, and good morning petrolheads!

I'm new to this forum, and I am an R34 fan :wavey:
Let me introduce myself briefly, my name is Leo and I'm a lawyer, currently applying for master degree in London.

Though I claimed myself a fan, I confess that I don't know much about technical specs about all R34 variants, except for the very obvious external and a little bit internal specs of each variants.

Well, I am doing research about R34 GTR in the UK, especially the price range, mostly cost around 25.000 - 30.000 quid, depends on the spec and mods the previous owner did. I will be honest, I cannot afford the GTR right away. Every R34 fans will of course consider this a lot cheaper option, that is to acquire the R34 GT-T.

I prefer 4WD system over the FR layout of the GTT, but the financial difficulty make it near impossible to have a GTR. Now my question is, Does any of you have performed this kind of mod? Or a more basic question, is it cost effective to simply convert the GTT to 4WD? If it is, what do I have to buy? I've seen this procedure conducted in some 350Z, in the US, as well as in Germany.

Thank you so much, chaps! :bowdown1:

hi leonov34

im on my 2nd yr LLB this coming school year =)

i dreamt of a gtr34 before but it was far from reality. i ended up with a gtr32 and loved it, loving it and will always love it. the conversions is a big job unless you want to spend ££££s on it. i suggest gtr 32 or 33 if you prefer 4wd. ironically, i saw a 34 with a GTR emblem at the boot. i doubted if it was a gtr due to the lines. im not saying gtt is not good however sticking a gtr emblem to a gtt seem not right. same principle with what you want to do. converting the gtt to a gtr. so why not buy a gtr instead? save yourself the hassle and ££££s. if you like the box type, then it is gtr32, but if you like the smooth lines then go for the gtr33. you wont get wrong with them =)

welcome aboard

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Depending on how close a replica you want this would be the best way by far.

AFAIK the GT4 has the same gearbox/ATTESA (if manual) as the R32/33 GTR. Shouldn't be that hard to buy a relatively cheap R32/33 GTR engine to fit into the car.

You can buy bodykits to ape the look of the R34 GTR. OEM wheels aren't too hard to find either.

Not sure what an R34 GT4 goes for but say £5k to fit an RB26 and another £5k to convert trhe body/paint and do some of the interior

You could fit an MFD with some hassle. If you are really keen you could fit the Getrag box and seats but as noted above if you go to the that kind of length you're probably better off just buying an R34.
thanks, you explanations made me think.. But do you see R34 GT4 often? because I don't...

you know what, I think it through by some rally references, and the cost will be off the chart in no time... I watched some guy building a Fiesta, converted it into 4WD, added some mods, and.. Bloody hell.... he spent almost 100.000 quid?! what?! :runaway:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As you know a really decent GTT costs well under 10K and a really decent GTR costs over £25k which should tell you something

If the conversion was even half simple the world would be full of converted GTTs...............
Good point, mate :wavey:
'I will try to think this through, and let this thread stands for others who might have attempted to do such mods and give us more infos :chuckle:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hi leonov34

im on my 2nd yr LLB this coming school year =)

i dreamt of a gtr34 before but it was far from reality. i ended up with a gtr32 and loved it, loving it and will always love it. the conversions is a big job unless you want to spend ££££s on it. i suggest gtr 32 or 33 if you prefer 4wd. ironically, i saw a 34 with a GTR emblem at the boot. i doubted if it was a gtr due to the lines. im not saying gtt is not good however sticking a gtr emblem to a gtt seem not right. same principle with what you want to do. converting the gtt to a gtr. so why not buy a gtr instead? save yourself the hassle and ££££s. if you like the box type, then it is gtr32, but if you like the smooth lines then go for the gtr33. you wont get wrong with them =)

welcome aboard
AH! my mate! :wavey:
It's nice to see fellow lawyer around... :cool:

Yes, believe it or not, I tried so hard to like either R32 or R33 GTRs, but the fact that I stucked with my love to R34 makes it very hard to move on :chairshot

I absolutely agree with you, by adding GTR emblem to a GTT is not legit at all :bawling: I don't really like the idea how people converted their GTT to look GTR-ish, because it is essentially wrong.. I will probably buy an R34 GTT, and accept the "downside" of it's FR layout, then widened the wheel arches, the add an aftermarket R34 GTR bodykit. :)

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
yes compañero, nice to hae another lawyer here =)

i dont blame you for loving the looks of the 34. its really a beaut especially the gtrs. i do suggest you take a gtr 32/33 for a drive first before taking the plunge so you can see the difference between gtt and gtr =)

Yes, believe it or not, I tried so hard to like either R32 or R33 GTRs, but the fact that I stucked with my love to R34 makes it very hard to move on :chairshot

I absolutely agree with you, by adding GTR emblem to a GTT is not legit at all :bawling: I don't really like the idea how people converted their GTT to look GTR-ish, because it is essentially wrong.. I will probably buy an R34 GTT, and accept the "downside" of it's FR layout, then widened the wheel arches, the add an aftermarket R34 GTR bodykit. :)

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts

Perhaps a BeeR R324 then?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yes compañero, nice to hae another lawyer here =)

i dont blame you for loving the looks of the 34. its really a beaut especially the gtrs. i do suggest you take a gtr 32/33 for a drive first before taking the plunge so you can see the difference between gtt and gtr =)
thank you...
Actually a friend of mine owns an R34 GTR Vspec II Nur in Bayside blue, And it is absolutely monster!! But, thanks for the advice, I will try to have a couple runs with my other mates GTRs, they have R32 and R33, what lucky bastards :chuckle:

Yes, I think I have to make a decision at some point, but I'm not in a hurry :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Perhaps a BeeR R324 then?

LOL! this is the car I saw in Hot Version video, it is a beast, but I don't like the appearance... anyway, thanks mate, you are one helpful person :bowdown1:

What is you car, mate? can I see it? :wavey:

·
Registered
BCNR33 Vspec
291 Posts
I did almost what you want to do. I bought an R34 GT-Four coupe and transformed it into GTR. The last thing I need to complete is rear wide fenders.
You can ask more detailed questions, I will answer them.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I did almost what you want to do. I bought an R34 GT-Four coupe and transformed it into GTR. The last thing I need to complete is rear wide fenders.
You can ask more detailed questions, I will answer them.
sweet! can i see your car, please? :bowdown1:

Well, my question is probably this, what is the hardest part in your mod? referring to the link given by a mate earlier in the previous page, it seems the biggest problem to "convert" non GTR to a GTR-ish is the gearbox. I don't know much about the GT four and GTR, so can you explain? :bowdown1:

·
Registered
BCNR33 Vspec
291 Posts
sweet! can i see your car, please? :bowdown1:

Well, my question is probably this, what is the hardest part in your mod? referring to the link given by a mate earlier in the previous page, it seems the biggest problem to "convert" non GTR to a GTR-ish is the gearbox. I don't know much about the GT four and GTR, so can you explain? :bowdown1:
GT-T - RB25DET and RWD. Can be MT or AT.
GT-Four - RB25DE and 4WD. Also can be MT or AT. Coupe or sedan.

So, basically I bought a GT-Four coupe MT and installed RB26DETT from R33 GTR. And a very long list of other installed stuff. Also the rear subframe is from BNR34 Vspec. Gearbox on GT-Four is the same as on R33 GTR but with push type clutch.
The hardest parts are wiring harness and air conditioner. RB25DE NEO harness differs significantly and I connected both RB26 and NEO, so have a hybrid one now. Air conditioner was a pain as well.
Will post some pictures a bit later.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts