GTR Forum banner

Nissan Skyline R34 GT-T 4WD conversion, is it possible?

38K views 36 replies 10 participants last post by  mr_rb26dett 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello, and good morning petrolheads!

I'm new to this forum, and I am an R34 fan :wavey:
Let me introduce myself briefly, my name is Leo and I'm a lawyer, currently applying for master degree in London.

Though I claimed myself a fan, I confess that I don't know much about technical specs about all R34 variants, except for the very obvious external and a little bit internal specs of each variants.

Well, I am doing research about R34 GTR in the UK, especially the price range, mostly cost around 25.000 - 30.000 quid, depends on the spec and mods the previous owner did. I will be honest, I cannot afford the GTR right away. Every R34 fans will of course consider this a lot cheaper option, that is to acquire the R34 GT-T.

I prefer 4WD system over the FR layout of the GTT, but the financial difficulty make it near impossible to have a GTR. Now my question is, Does any of you have performed this kind of mod? Or a more basic question, is it cost effective to simply convert the GTT to 4WD? If it is, what do I have to buy? I've seen this procedure conducted in some 350Z, in the US, as well as in Germany.

Thank you so much, chaps! :bowdown1:

See less See more
#6 ·
Depending on how close a replica you want this would be the best way by far.

AFAIK the GT4 has the same gearbox/ATTESA (if manual) as the R32/33 GTR. Shouldn't be that hard to buy a relatively cheap R32/33 GTR engine to fit into the car.

You can buy bodykits to ape the look of the R34 GTR. OEM wheels aren't too hard to find either.

Not sure what an R34 GT4 goes for but say £5k to fit an RB26 and another £5k to convert trhe body/paint and do some of the interior

You could fit an MFD with some hassle. If you are really keen you could fit the Getrag box and seats but as noted above if you go to the that kind of length you're probably better off just buying an R34.

#9 ·
thanks, you explanations made me think.. But do you see R34 GT4 often? because I don't...

you know what, I think it through by some rally references, and the cost will be off the chart in no time... I watched some guy building a Fiesta, converted it into 4WD, added some mods, and.. Bloody hell.... he spent almost 100.000 quid?! what?! :runaway:

#8 ·
hi leonov34

im on my 2nd yr LLB this coming school year =)

i dreamt of a gtr34 before but it was far from reality. i ended up with a gtr32 and loved it, loving it and will always love it. the conversions is a big job unless you want to spend ££££s on it. i suggest gtr 32 or 33 if you prefer 4wd. ironically, i saw a 34 with a GTR emblem at the boot. i doubted if it was a gtr due to the lines. im not saying gtt is not good however sticking a gtr emblem to a gtt seem not right. same principle with what you want to do. converting the gtt to a gtr. so why not buy a gtr instead? save yourself the hassle and ££££s. if you like the box type, then it is gtr32, but if you like the smooth lines then go for the gtr33. you wont get wrong with them =)

welcome aboard

#11 ·
AH! my mate! :wavey:
It's nice to see fellow lawyer around... :cool:

Yes, believe it or not, I tried so hard to like either R32 or R33 GTRs, but the fact that I stucked with my love to R34 makes it very hard to move on :chairshot

I absolutely agree with you, by adding GTR emblem to a GTT is not legit at all :bawling: I don't really like the idea how people converted their GTT to look GTR-ish, because it is essentially wrong.. I will probably buy an R34 GTT, and accept the "downside" of it's FR layout, then widened the wheel arches, the add an aftermarket R34 GTR bodykit. :)

#19 ·
sweet! can i see your car, please? :bowdown1:

Well, my question is probably this, what is the hardest part in your mod? referring to the link given by a mate earlier in the previous page, it seems the biggest problem to "convert" non GTR to a GTR-ish is the gearbox. I don't know much about the GT four and GTR, so can you explain? :bowdown1:

#26 ·
One thing I have to say: it's a lot of work. And if you don't have a garage with all tools and if you are not good with wiring and other stuff... maybe it's not a good idea to go the path I did. My friend is a professional super mechanic and he owns a large garage where he is fixing automatic transmissions, it's his business. So I "parasited" on his place, his tools, his lifters, his advices and so on :) And it was a key for success. If you don't have technical resources for that... it would be a pain in the ass.

#28 ·
Much appreciated with the advice, mate :)
I have to admit that I know so little about mechanic and tuning, but I am willing to learn. Lets see what years ahead will provide me :wavey:

I may need lots of help with professional tuner, such as middlehurst and others, they can handle it well...

good luck with the project, I'm looking forward to see the final result :bowdown1:

#31 ·
I've done a lot of engine conversions over the years and they're all hard yakka.
But if I wanted a cheap equivalent to the GTR it would certainly be the much underrated GT4, the poor man's GTR.
I would not go the Rb26 route though, a 25det is in my opinion a far more tractable engine and can produce excellent hp without breaking the bank.
300rwkw is about it for an unopened 25det and that's not too shabby.
Work under the bonnet on the single turbo 25 is a breeze when compared to the complexities of the 26.
So I'd either turbo the 25de which can be done very cheaply and still produce good reliable hp.
OR swap out the 25de for a 25det from something like a Stagea.
As most posters have mentioned, it's the re-wiring which causes the big headaches so correct engine selection first off will eliminate these hassles.
I think you'll also find the GT4 was sold with the Neo20.
One of those would be excellent buying. Hardly capable of much wear and tear to the driveline with that power plant.

#35 ·
A little update for the question I asked regarding conversion from RWD to 4WD in the R34 GTT.... :wavey:

I spent couple hours to focused on projects and attempts filed by some tuners and shops, finally I stumbled across this

Basically, this tuner was contacted by a customer in the US, who asked him whether he could converted his (the customer) R34 GTT into 4WD and fit an RB26 inside it. He found out later on, that the process was not that simple. He finally had to made LOTS OF CUSTOM WORKS just to make it looked like a GTR, exclude the 4WD... He suggested that parts needed to be customized were:

1. Trans Tunnel
2. Trans mount
3. Driveshaft
4. Front & rear subframe
5. etc

After looking at this, I became discouraged to go further in converting GTT to a GTR. Man, this is sad :mad:

But I was always fond of the the idea to just simply give a GTT, a GTR body. That's about it....:chuckle:

#36 ·
Yes as it was explained earlier, the GTT floor pan would need to be modified in the tunnel region for the wide GTR transfer case.
Heaps of work and never going to justify the expense, especially if the GTR is sold in your country.
The GT4 is the best starting point for a transplant but remember it's never going to be a GTR so resale value will be affected.
There are a lot of unique-to-model components, not just the Rb26 in a GTR.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.