GTR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
The car should have software written in so that you cannot overheat the gearbox oil - simple fix
Or an overheat triggers a warning either as a dashboard light or Rev Counter display window message (like the TMPS) that doesn't clear until you visit the dealer or perform a reset. It isn't even a difficult software routine to write, you should be able to wrap it up in 3 or 4 lines of code.

·
Ooo Matron !
2,155 Posts
There are 2 things here though aren't there, there are the dealers (and most of those are shit whatever the brand) and the UK importers/sales arm of the manufacturers who also can be a bit variable.

Shit dealers are a fact of life that any car owner has to contend with and I have had more than my own fair share of shit dealers from multiple brands.
Well, true. It's just that when I spend the thick of £50k on a use car I expect better.

In fact, I've only ever bought a car from a main dealer 3 times; Nissan and Fiat was shocking, whilst Vauxhall were fine. But I've never had cause for complaint when buying from an independent. Main dealers just appear very arrogant to me.

·
Registered
6,395 Posts
They are all toss pots from head to toe, you have to be firm in your approach I found then things get done otherwise they will try to make a c*nt out of you

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
Nissan obviously need to change the VDC off label to warranty void then
This was discussed to death in the early days and I thought Nissan were being sensible about this.
Regarding the tranny oil temperature you are allowed to go up to 140 deg c but must change the oil within 3000 miles. Over 140 is an immediate change though and that includes the diffs.
I have had pre and post track day inspections done by Nissan dealers and nothing was ever picked up so never bothered after that

·
Vendor
2,336 Posts
Can’t seem how you can warrant a car for track days based on the abuse they get.

However I am sure Nissan been made aware of your gtr purchases could have offered something out of good will however little it maybe.

Best bet is get Ac Speedtech to repair it and get an engineers report and go from there.

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
Nissan shouldn't advertise the GT-R as a supercar slayer if they don't honour warranty's if customers use them on track!

Obviously there are people that take the p1ss but this can be judged case by case.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
140 degrees !!!! 2 words Trans cooler, mine used to get to mid 130's now I never see 110 even on the hotest days, normally im around 100/5 and can cool with the car parked and switched off. It feels much happier at lower temps.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Nissan shouldn't advertise the GT-R as a supercar slayer if they don't honour warranty's if customers use them on track!

Obviously there are people that take the p1ss but this can be judged case by case.
But the car is supplied for road use, knowing some owners will use on track Nissan state in black and white in cars warranty what basic checks and precautions the owner should make.

Sorry but ignoring basic readings for engine or gearbox then expecting a dealer to pick up the repair bill does seem rather optimistic, just my opinion.:rotz:

·
Registered
919 Posts
But the car is supplied for road use, knowing some owners will use on track Nissan state in black and white in cars warranty what basic checks and precautions the owner should make.

Sorry but ignoring basic readings for engine or gearbox then expecting a dealer to pick up the repair bill does seem rather optimistic, just my opinion.:rotz:
Given the ease with which the software could be configured to flag the need for a fluid change, you could argue it is a touch cynical of Nissan not to enable it? Especially when things ultimately go bang they make more money.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Given the ease with which the software could be configured to flag the need for a fluid change, you could argue it is a touch cynical of Nissan not to enable it? Especially when things ultimately go bang they make more money.
Yes but sometimes owners must apply common sense and not expect manufacturer to make everything idiot proof.

I recall the true story of a women driving a big American camper who put it into cruise control and then went back to make a coffee, it crashed and she took legal action against the manufacturer. The manufacturer had to write new section in owners manual you still had to steer the bloody thing and not leave driver seat.... :D

·
Ooo Matron !
2,155 Posts
I recall the true story of a women driving a big American camper who put it into cruise control and then went back to make a coffee, it crashed and she took legal action against the manufacturer. The manufacturer had to write new section in owners manual you still had to steer the bloody thing and not leave driver seat.... :D
And by "recall the true story" you mean "urban myth" ?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I did a quick search and found details of the claim I recalled, I had it wrong it appears she went to make a sandwich, but I make my point and rest my case...

Costliest Lawsuits
Seriously, they got how much?

A woman purchased a new 32-foot Winnebago motor home from a dealership in Oklahoma. On way home from a football game she drove on to the freeway she set the cruise control***8230;.and left her seat to go and make herself a sandwich! Needless to say the motor home veered off the freeway and crashed. The woman sued Winnebago for, are you ready***8230;.not writing in the owner's manual that a person can***8217;t actually leave the driver's seat while the cruise control was on. A jury Oklahoma awarded her $1,750,000 PLUS a brand new motor home. And Winnebago updated their owner***8217;s manuals because of this judgment.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Yes but sometimes owners must apply common sense and not expect manufacturer to make everything idiot proof.

No one's asking for an alarm to tell you to drive the car (though lane departure warning exists) but something as important and unnoticed as gearbox oil temperature might be worth the effort.

It's not in the same ballpark.

·
Ooo Matron !
2,155 Posts

·
Ooo Matron !
2,155 Posts
I did a quick search and found details of the claim I recalled, I had it wrong it appears she went to make a sandwich, but I make my point and rest my case...

Costliest Lawsuits
Seriously, they got how much?

A woman purchased a new 32-foot Winnebago motor home from a dealership in Oklahoma. On way home from a football game she drove on to the freeway she set the cruise control***8230;.and left her seat to go and make herself a sandwich! Needless to say the motor home veered off the freeway and crashed. The woman sued Winnebago for, are you ready***8230;.not writing in the owner's manual that a person can't actually leave the driver's seat while the cruise control was on. A jury Oklahoma awarded her $1,750,000 PLUS a brand new motor home. And Winnebago updated their owner's manuals because of this judgment.
Utter shite.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/news/20050203/winnebago-driver-case-shows-truth-behind-frivolous-lawsuit-claims

·
Registered
249 Posts
No one's asking for an alarm to tell you to drive the car (though lane departure warning exists) but something as important and unnoticed as gearbox oil temperature might be worth the effort.

It's not in the same ballpark.
So the owners manual states in black and white the importance of transmission temperatures and the owner has option to clearly display temperature, so no excuse for it to go unnoticed especially if pushing car to it's limits on track days.

My default display includes engine and transmission temperature, this is for a road car never tracked or launched, perhaps it's my experience of working on cars for over 40 years that makes me consider these important ;)

21 - 40 of 74 Posts