GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does such a thing exist for the GTR? Has anyone ever used one?... Could be pretty awesome!!

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Nitrous

Theirs a few threads on here about this Dan. Just have a little search around and I'm sure you'll find 'em.

glen

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Errrrr

Perhaps I ain't been keeping up with things but the 'search' doesn't work here.

Have I missed something or do we need to sort something out with the main man Joss. I think the second bit is probably it :) .

glen

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers Glen

Tried the search first but no luck there. Don't suppose anyone remembers where the info might be? I'll keep searching in the meantime

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Guys

I checked out the websites for these companys. Dragon Autosport's site is still under construction but Highpower's site is pretty good with lots of techy info. Called the guys at Highpower and they were very helpful. They reckon they've done a few Skylines including a 900hp(?) one with a 250hp nitrous boost (I'm sure someone in this forum would have heard about that!). Anyway, the kits cost between about £300 to £700 depending on boost required. Seems like a cheap way to increase power at least until I can afford new turbos, injectors, cranks etc.

·
Registered
312 Posts
NosWizard

Dan,

It is a pity you are so far south, as a mate of mine is at York Dragway this Sunday with his white R33 that has a NOSWIZARD kit and 75 bhp jets giving 150 bhp! on it, with a standard engine...
Will be interested to see what times he runs!!:)
Will keep you posted...

BTW It is forcast thunder storms as well so should be interesting!!
:eek:

Regards

Stu

·
Registered
389 Posts
Highpower nos systems

Just to let you all know I am an Agent for Highpower Nos systems and have one the the kits fitted to my Skyline.

G.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi G

I'm almost certain that the way forward for now at least is to fit a nitrous kit in terms of BHP per £. I'll probably be looking at purchasing it in the next few weeks. Maybe you could let me know what kit you've installed and any tips you might have regarding fitting etc.

Cheers

Dan

·
Registered
312 Posts
Update!

Just to update the board that the white R33 that was using the NOS wizard kit was running at York on Sunday and it ran 12.2 for the quarter with a standard engine + NOS!

The only downside is the engine let go on the fourth run...:eek:

Stu

·
Registered
130 Posts
Apparently Highpower systems is offering engine insurance on NOS installations

Apparently if you add 100bhp of NOS you pay £100 :smokin:

not sure how this would work in reality, but its interesting that they are confident about the reliability of their kit.

Seems NOS only gets dangerous when you don't use a progressive controller and you are running a all-or-nothing setup such as 150bhp on a button press.

ouch!

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Re: Update!

R32BigSly said:
The only downside is the engine let go on the fourth run...:eek:
This is the reason Ive never been a fan of NOS.

At the risk of sounding very controversial (and I've had this said to me before), if you can afford a Skyline you should be prepared for the costs associated with properly tuning it. Massive power doesn't come cheap, when you look at the kind of money Guy, Dirk, Gary, Glen etc have spent on their cars (and plenty others on this board) for a reliable, genuine tune - it really puts NOS into perspective.

Putting NOS in a Skyline, to me anyway, seems to be to be a bit like buying one and then sticking bits of fibreglass on it. ie. its totally the wrong way to go (in my humble opinion anyway)

I should qualify the above by saying that I take home nowhere near the kind of money that some of the people on this board do, so I haven't got an elitist attitude or anything, but even with my limited means I can appreciate how much genuine power costs.

Each to their own however, just thought I'd add my 2p.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Statement!

Durzel,

Let me also qualify my previous statement by saying that i DO NOT know the cause for the engine problem on the R33 and i am currently investigating this issue...
Therefore i can neither say that it was or was not the NOS to blame in this instance...
As far as power goes i have an ALL STEEL engine myself with Nismo bearings etc and has cost me a fortune to build, by working very very long hours!!
But i would like to say in the defence of NOS i know a few other Skyline owners that have used NOS for well over 12 months now with NO problems what so ever!

I would agree with the fact that a progressive controller does help as well!!

Cheers

Stu

·
Registered
130 Posts
I think nitrous is safe as long as its used in a sensible manner, like many tuning products available

The problem with nitrous is that is very easy to get carried away with adding more power (much like those dodgy old bleed valves you might have used on a doggy old RS Turbo, quick turn of a bolt and you've got 2bar and a melted engine ).

on a NOS setup, a 5 minute change of a set of jets and you can potentially double the power input available.

NOS isn't the dangerous thing, its the users hunger for a few more bhp and pushing it a bit far is usually the cause of engine failure

·
Registered
389 Posts
On the other side you have Drag racers which have various budgets ranging from smallest to big sponsors and as well as tuning in the conventional terms they run nos.
It's not the nos that is at fault it's to do with it's application, else it would not have been used in the 2nd world war by planes.
If you want to run Nos in large amounts you have to prepare the engine correctly. If the amount you plan to run is relative to the size and type of motor and is done correctly you will have nothing to worry about.The increase is instant on a one shot set up, that means at just over 3000rpm you could have your engine's output + 150bhp and 150lbs of torque.. if you go too far on std you can have problems with a one shot setup.
My nissan has caused me no problems on NOS, the skyline in question was running a shot that made + 150 bhp, at that level of power can anyone be sure there was capacity in the pump to make that power and were the plugs changed for colder ones or just std?
Tuning is all the same no one thing has an independant effect on an engine just levels of it's effect on things.
In it's simplist term think of it as running a bigger than biggest intercooler with water injection and special fuel...........that,s NOS.............-128 deg temp, anti-detonant and gives power too.
G.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I like nitrous, and the amount of power that can be acheived at a reasonable cost. I think there have been so many scare stories accciated with the stuff that its got a bad name...

ive come from a bit of a Renaut 5 turbo background, and have had a big aversion to turbos... the bastard things just kept on disintegrating... - now, if i was to say that all turbos were the work of the devil and that you shouldnt mess with them... id be publicly lynched!! :)

abused, both ways of increasing power (turbos & NOS) have the ability to create LOTS of power, and equally the ability to run up huge repair bills, but tuned to the application, and used 'sensibly' both are hugely viable ways of getting more oomph...

:) but saying this, ive never used NOS, but the more i look in to the stuff the more it does make sense...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Surely the Nos addition is a valid modification? What does the Nos do, it gives a better burn. Very simple basics of achieving better Hp.

I bought a skyline not because of the price tag but because the other Jap imports i think are seriously ugly cars. And I want not to pay stupid money for a bad looking car.

Performance is nothing without a little style; this is probably why we aren't driving turbocharged Mondeos. The little Noble i think uses the inline 6 mondeo engine.

The intercooler is in my mind in essence no different to a Nos mod.

And good grief, I’m not too proud to pay 600 pounds for and extra 100hp of the shelf! Turn it on or turn it off as you will! That’ll do me nicely.

If someone was to invest in what could only be called cutting edge Nos technology with direct port jets, elec controllers and valves surely this would set them back a lot of cash indeed.

Hp is for having fun and Nos sounds like alot of fun indeed!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Matt,

I agree totally with your aversion to turbos, I have had the same problem in the past, knackered valves and engine etc...

But I do think that NOS is as valid a mod as anything else, the only thing that worries me is the harm, if any it does to your engine....

But it does give more bang for your money me thinks...

Si

1 - 20 of 45 Posts