GTR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
I was in a garage about 6 weeks ago when a lad walked in to get a Nos refill for his Cavalier. His Nos kits cost 700 pounds, his refill 40 pounds, the smile on his face was as large as the bottle he carried in!

More power for the people. A mod for everyone.

He has since probably blown his VX engine up but had a great time doing it!!

I know of a lad with a 2.0ltr turbo'd engine in a 1.1ltr fiesta shell running Nos. Not exactly what most would call style, but he'd give anyone a good run for their money.

·
Registered
389 Posts
The kits i supply start at £575 complete including full 5lb bottle of gas, I refill that bottle for £35 or £632 with 11lb bottle filled with a refill costing £45
I have one on my Skyline and I repeat I have had NO problems and can fit if required.
All Skyline owners in the UK can have free insured delivery from me too.
G.

·
Registered
389 Posts
useage and power is linear with Nos, that is to say that with an 11lb bottle 25bhp will last 13 mins while 50 bhp will last half as long.
Bear in mind it only operates when at full throttle and only when armed.
G.

·
Registered
201 Posts
highpower nitrous kits

have to agree that NOS is a great bargain bhp source as long as you dont go mad same as most things. I ran a 75bhp kit on my old gt4 for about a year with no ill effects at all. Poor lump needed a shot in the arse to move anyway:p .

Certainly thinking about investing in another kit(with a progressive controller this time) - would love to see a NOS skyline run at TJ on/off to see the difference .

cheers

Iain

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
A couple of questions...

1. how long does the squirt last if you push the button ?
is it enough to do a 1/4 mile ? or is it just a kick up the arse for the turbos ?

2. is there a way of mounting the injection system for NoS on the underside of the plenum chamber so it is not visible ?

I wouldn't want to be able to see it. mainly for insurance purposes !!

3. how easy is it to fit? and is that price with a progressive controller ?

sorry about the questions but I am just wondering.

/Steve

·
Registered
389 Posts
. how long does the squirt last if you push the button ?
is it enough to do a 1/4 mile ? or is it just a kick up the arse for the turbos ?

This is dependant on how the nos is set up. But the short answer is yes you can run it for a whole 1/4, it'will stay on untill you lift off once armed.

is there a way of mounting the injection system for NoS on the underside of the plenum chamber so it is not visible ?

Yes

3. how easy is it to fit? and is that price with a progressive controller ?

fitting it ain't rocket science, I would suspect most people could fit the kit as it is simple by design. The price does not include a Progressive controller but 2 types are available and are very good for large amounts of nos.

G.

·
Registered
865 Posts
G-Sport what does your kit at around £500 inc? Do u have ne results of 1/4 mile time before the NOS install and after the NOS install, or even with it fitted and not on, doh!

How much do u charge for fitting and what sort of gurantee do u offer m8, i know it would be on the equipment and not a blown engine:p

Also when u say 25bhp kit, does it really equate to 25bhp or can it be even more when on the go seeing as it kicks in at high revs, if that makes sense?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Hi G,

thanks for the prompt reply...

"The price does not include a Progressive controller but 2 types are available and are very good for large amounts of nos. "

how much is a large amount of Nos ?
what power boost do you run and what prep work did you do to your engine ?

cheers
Steve

·
Registered
312 Posts
Info

Rich,

Due to the "cooling" effect on a turbo charged engine by adding a 25 bhp jet of Nitrous you would actually see up to 45 bhp gain in actual power...
As oppoesed to normally aspirated cars where the same 25 bhp jet would give you up to 19 bhp! As you can see big difference!

Steve,

I am sure GArth will let me say that his internals are standard so is a mate of mine's R33 with the same kit...
As long as you do NOT go over say 75 bhp jets a standard engine should cope adequately, but i must say that the porgressive controller is always an added safety measure!!

Cheers

Stu

·
Registered
389 Posts
A Large amount of Nos is relative to engine size and type. The larger the engine and the more cylinders it has the bigger the shot it can handle. As Stu rightly said the internals of my car are std, I only chaged my plugs for copper colder items and I run a single 50 shot on my Rb20.
I think a fifty shot is safe on anything over 2000cc as a single shot but bear in mind that the shot will give more than 50bhp/lbs torque.

I charge £150 for fitting the kits and the Kits do have a warranty, the solenoids are the best NOS solenoids in the world and are warrantied for life. The Nos kit comes with 25bhp jets which take 5 mins to change, 25 bhp will yield more in a turbo car but i find 50 to be the best balance between gas usage and good power increase. I have no figures as my car has not been dynoed with the kit fitted but I would be happy to show anyone wishing to purchase the before/after difference with my own car.
G.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hmmm!

Garth,

I will be in touch soon then mate "for a go!" and would gladly return the compliment but sadly mine is "out of action" at the moment dur to technical problems! HONEST!;) ;)

All jokin aside i can personally vouch for G-Sport on his good technical knowledge and work etc...
P.S Usual address for the cheque please pal!;)

Cheers

Stu

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
The arguments over reliability are most probably to do with the fact that a couple of important things change in the combustion process when NOS is added.

The basics as I see it are as follows

1 NOS is 36% oxygen and as described above will significantly chill the intake charge.

The reduced inlet charge temperature and abundance of oxygen will increase the burn speed of the fuel mixture ( weak fuel mixtures as generally set-up on standard vehicles lower down the RPM range need more advance as they burn slower ). This needs to be compensated for by retarding the ignition timing or increasing the fuel octane. See the http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2480 thread for more info on octane.

Once adjusted correctly this should keep a normal combustion process in place. If the timing / octane is not accounted for, the high combustion chamber pressures created by the rapid combustion will risk blowing your head gasket / running your engines big end bearings.

My preference would be for higher Octane, but Apexi users also have the option of temporarily retarding the overall timing of their engines with the hand controller.

2 Air / Fuel ratio, there have been some discussions on this topic in the past. All the good tuners use Wide Band Lambda’s to tune their ECU's. The NOS set-up similarly needs to be confirmed for correct functionality to ensure that you are running at around 12.5:1 or thereabouts. Makes sure you are not melting pistons through a weak mixture.

3 I have also seen notes saying that the earth strap on the spark plug is subject to melting. The standard plugs should be changed to one less susceptible to melting.

·
Registered
865 Posts
G-Sport when u say it takes '25bhp jets which take 5 mins to change' how do u mean?

Do the jets only last so long or i'm being a Jade and missing the point? Once u have the NOS setup can u change the jets to say 50bhp from 25bhp to see more gain?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Lads,

I spoke to a few companies a while back and gathered some info regarding speccing up a proper NOS kit for my R33 GTR.

To do it properly i.e good progressive controller, 11lb bottle, bigger jets (100hp or so) will cost well over £1000 plus fitting/setting up.
You will also need a bigger fuel pump and regulator to provide the extra fuel required to mix with the NOS as I believe most of the best systems are 'wet' systems.

I also enquired about the engine insurance policy (£100 for 100 horse/£150 for 150 horse etc) and was told that this could only be given if the company had built and inspected the engine themselves. This would obviously cost a few quid and I was basically talked out of it as soon as they realised I was talking about insuring a skyline engine.

This isn't meant to be negative in any way and all the companies I spoke to were very helpful and knowledgable.

I just think that to do this properly and, more importantly, safely you need to spend more money than it first appears and get it fitted by a professional who can set your car up properly.

Having said that I haven't ruled NOS out yet as it does look like lots of fun and you get to hit the big red button !!!! :D

Jez

·
Registered
389 Posts
Rich,
the kit comes with 25hp jets and I mean it actually takes five minutes to change the jet from 25hp to 50hp, once you fit the jets there is no wear as such so the jets don't need replacing unless u want more power.
G.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Ahh I'm with you, u gonna be at billing mate as i fancy taking a look at this as it seems to sound better the more i think about it. How long does it take you to fit the hole system mate.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Yes I will be at billing hopefully and generally the kit takes the best part of the day to fit but it is dependant on the car and if you have fitted one before.
G.

·
Registered
389 Posts
good 2/3rds of a day minimum but when all is said and done would you really want me to rush the job? rushing never gives the desired effect and i would rather rush my own than someone elses.
G.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts