GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Banned
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a nos fogger setup on an RB25 DET, its not powered up YET because i need the bottle. Just curious on what your take is with nos in a Liner????

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
suicide? it's hard enough getting the fuelling right with the turbos...

·
Banned
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats the funny thing, its got a HKS evc, full exhaust, and AFR, do you reckon these count as ample tuning?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
suicide? it's hard enough getting the fuelling right with the turbos...
i take it you have never used nitrous then lol

the RB25 will take a straight 50 shot no problems whatsoever

i can get bottles no problem, look here
Wizards of NOS

we also have a forum for any nitrous questions
(allthough we normally only answer highpower specific questions on that board)

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
yep - it scares me, and with my luck, if I don't run lean, I'll bend a rod :p
the truth is that nitrous is the safest tuning avaliable.....

on one of my old 2.0 turbo engines (with NO internal mods whatsoever) i managed to increase boost from 9psi-30psi with 145bhp of nitrous and it ran for almost two years like that before it blew its internals on the way to work using the above power

a GTR would be very happy with 400bhp and 150-200bhp of nitrous on progressive

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
so you're saying a stock head gasket can take 400bhp (full-on stock turbos at 1 bar), plus a 200 shot? Hell, then why am I paying for all this Tomei crap then, I've got an OEM head gasket I got for free sitting in my closet!!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
so you're saying a stock head gasket can take 400bhp (full-on stock turbos at 1 bar), plus a 200 shot? Hell, then why am I paying for all this Tomei crap then, I've got an OEM head gasket I got for free sitting in my closet!!
people keep talking about how much "power" a head gaskett can take but it has nothing to do with power...its cylinder pressure that blows gaskets and TBH you are far better off with a stock one than a metal one because a stock one xcan blow "like a fuse" if cylinder pressures go too high....

think about this...

example 1. 400bhp skyline with 75bhp of nitrous triggered at 2200rpm......we have "x" cylinder pressure...

example 2. 400bhp skyline with 150bhp of nitrous triggered at 4400rpm....we still have the same increase in cylinder pressure provided by the nitrous....the amount of nitrous injected has doubled but so has engine speed!

if the head gaskett didnt blow in example 1 it wont blow in example 2

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
what does the effect of 150-200 bhp of NOS do to boost pressure ?
it makes it boost sooner due to the reaction that you get when you inject -128 degree liquid into the intake

boost pressure will remain the same across all rpm sites after the "normal" spool up RPM is reached

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
thats bullshit TBH
ERM OK THEN ?

i dont think you are correct, if the car is pushing out 200hp extra then the cylinder pressure has to be higher as the explosion in the cylinder is larger (creating more force on the piston to create more power output)

I think its you thats talking the bullshit TBH, i have seen many setups that claim that nitrous is the "wonder" safest method of performance tuning that everyone has been waiting for.....

they dont mention the cases of nitrous "pooling" that causes engines to blow up, the fact that solenoids freeze up and get stuck open !, the fact that the rest of a std engine cant take 600bhp irrespective of it is nos, race fuel, higher boost etc etc

if you dont have all the supporting mods to run at a certain hp then you are destined for an expensive engine rebuild - period.

If you get a good tuner that has expirience with nos (like abbey etc) then nos can be a good tuning method....it worked damn well on tims nur i believe !

but ask them if it is a good idea to get a std GTR, get it to run 400 hp stock and then add 200bhp of nos ?

I dont think any tuner on here would tell you that you are talking sense

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
ERM OK THEN ?

i dont think you are correct, if the car is pushing out 200hp extra then the cylinder pressure has to be higher as the explosion in the cylinder is larger (creating more force on the piston to create more power output)

I think its you thats talking the bullshit TBH, i have seen many setups that claim that nitrous is the "wonder" safest method of performance tuning that everyone has been waiting for.....

they dont mention the cases of nitrous "pooling" that causes engines to blow up, the fact that solenoids freeze up and get stuck open !, the fact that the rest of a std engine cant take 600bhp irrespective of it is nos, race fuel, higher boost etc etc

if you dont have all the supporting mods to run at a certain hp then you are destined for an expensive engine rebuild - period.

If you get a good tuner that has expirience with nos (like abbey etc) then nos can be a good tuning method....it worked damn well on tims nur i believe !

but ask them if it is a good idea to get a std GTR, get it to run 400 hp stock and then add 200bhp of nos ?

I dont think any tuner on here would tell you that you are talking sense

well abbey get their advice from the guy who designs their kits i expect and i work with that company lol, a good friend of trevor and admin/advisor/moderator on their board

nitrous does not pool lol, the fuel "pools" on a badly designed inlet system (maybe you ment reversion??)

solonoids have a lifetime warrenty and will NEVER fail in the open position (pulsoids only)

and i have allready done the above on far weaker engines than the RB26DETT, less displacement and less cylinders

as for cylinder pressure i have explained this already, take the advice or leave it

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
ok my bad then, i will admit what i said was bullshit..

I readily admit im not a tuner myself and have only learned what i know off my own back, Because you actually work for the company that designs the NOS kits and advises Abbey MS on their nitrous setups i will presume you know what you are talking about on the subject

So we take a standard GTR running around 400bhp add a 200bhp shot of NOS = 600bhp which is fine and the engine will probably be ok for years
Thats your advice to your customers when they call up and ask what is safe for them to run on a std skyline ?

guess people like me that have spent £1000's to run 600bhp reliably have wasted our money then

So,
The following tuning parts from my car are now up for sale :)

JE pistons
headgasket
larger injectors
bigger fuel pump
fuel press regulator
twin plate clutch
splitfire coils
iridium sparkplugs
sump extension kit
oil pump upgrade
nismo bearings
camshafts
modified cylinder head
uprated cambelt

the truth is that nitrous is the safest tuning avaliable.....

·
Registered
227 Posts
Different strokes for different folks, one has to understand that the tuners have to make a living, so they are hardly going to advise you to fit Nos as it's cheaper!

As for reliability I've seen plenty of sad endings to motors mechanically rebuilt and tuned at a cost of thousands, nothing is 100%, things can and do go wrong occasionally. As an engineer I suppose it's easier for me to see what's going on, and with Nos the processes at work are not quite what many assume. Most of the so called risks with Nos are simply myths propagated by those with no self knowledge, old wives tales in fact, or the results of poor equipment inadequately installed.

I would never spend several thousand pounds to get to 350 - 400 bhp, not when I can do it totally safely with a full on Nos kit including progressive for under 2K and all work guaranteed. All a matter of opinion of course, I'm not a Nos expert or even proficient, but the principles are simple engineering, though of course equipment varies hugely in quality and capability, as does the workmanship.

History is littered with complex ideas and expensive equipment made redundent by some nerd's bedroom science, may I introduce the contestants?

On my left in the red corner, pallet loads of serious tuning parts, on my right in the blue corner, Nos?

At the end of the day there's a place for both, one can simply add Nos to the standard motor for a mega bang for the bucks power increase, but of course there's a limit to how much Nos one can squeeze into a given cavity...

...so by mechanically improving the motor first, we can then add even more Nos!

Aitch

1 - 20 of 108 Posts