GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was just wondering how many gtr owners out there actually have and use nitrous and any unforseen problems with having it ?

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
We use it alot of GTRs for several different reasons.
Its great stuff when setup and tuned correctly, they don't call it throttle in a bottle for nothing!!

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Rob, NOS is cheating and an admission you've run out of ideas on how to extract more power from the engine..................... and/or compensation for a driver who needs a big hand with the launch.....................

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
Rob, NOS is cheating and an admission you've run out of ideas on how to extract more power from the engine..................... and/or compensation for a driver who needs a big hand with the launch.....................
Your entitled to opinion of cource but I think thats a very bold comment and a sign of ignorance quite frankly.

I think you need to get a dictionary and find the definition of cheating.

I've just checked my dictionary and found "Another twat who knows **** all about drag racing but thinks he does (also refere to small mans syndrome)" with a picture of you there. :flame:

Why make comments like you did, what is that going to achieve other than start crap on someones thread?

If its perfectly legal within the class rules and anyone racing in that class has the option to use it, (if they carry extra weight) it is not cheating, get real.

So your saying all the Pro Modified boys in the states that run mountain motors with lots of NOS are all cheats and they have no driving skills or they don't have the budgets to get power from their engines another way?
I'd say they CHOSE to use NOS, they have weighed up the Pro's and Con's and decided, for them, its the right way to go for reliability, torque and hp, quite simple really isn't it?

The current NZ champion for doorslammers in NZ right now runs a mountain motor with NOS, he won against blown alky motors, I think you'll find torque and reliabilty played a part in his winning and I'm also damn sure you'd find if he was cheating the guys he beat would have protested?????:runaway: :runaway: :runaway:

Some people don't want to spend $1000s developing cylinder heads and manifolds/turbo's and rev and boost the hell out of motors to get X amount of power when a perfectly safe and legal alternative is available at a fraction of the cost that gives similar if not better results??

How many National Drag Racing Championships do you have?
Do you have 3 times as many import drag racing records as any other driver in the UK?
Have you ever actually used NOS yourself or are you scared of it or have you just been beaten buy some who uses NOS and your feeling a bit sad about it?

If its within the rules with which you race then its your choice if you accept the penalties that it carries.

I've had comments from guys like you all my life and it just makes me work harder and win even more, none of them have ever done **** all themselves and I'm pretty sure you'll hide away in your little hole and not even answer the perfectly legitimate questions I have asked you.

I love a wind up and a good laugh and I'm not pissed off by your comments at all, so man up and lets have an adult conversation about NOS .......

Rob

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Don't really know a lot about NOS (know what it does and how it works) But ive always been told that using it wears out your engine much quicker than any equivelant power source? Is that correct? And as stated by Rob, yes NOS is very usefull when it comes to drag racing etc, but would it be wise to choose NOS (or racefuel or mixed fuel , something exotic :chuckle: for that matter)for the track?
Or even on the street? As off course you don't ALWAYS ned the x - extra amount off bhp and torque. Just like to know for myself, might go down that route if it turns out good, as it is a lot cheaper then building a complete motor...

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
NOS has its uses in some applications, you decide what you want to do, you decide how you want to go about it, what results you want and then you make your choices.

Sure, its possible to make plenty of power with turbo only but you usually find these engines are more highly strung, quite laggy, have very little low down or mid range torque and they'll have trouble maintaining cool intake temps.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but to say NOS is cheating is just rediculous, its like saying a turbo is cheating, if you need boost is it an admission you've run out of ideas on how to extract more power from the N/A engine???

Strange how Atco has gone quiet??

As for me using NOS because I need a big hand with the launch...............

Whats your best 60ft time in a full weight GTR without NOS Atco?? better than 1.3s?

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
If its setup and tuned correctly you have nothing to worry about, just be warned, you'll get hooked and will never look back,

Rob

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I have a single point wet system on my car ,very good for drag racing but at £70 a fill a little expensive for constant road use. Made my stage one car running 12.0 dead on road tyres run a mid 11 which is good value for money in my book

·
Registered
481 Posts
Had nitrous on my GTST for over 2 years now without any real problems

I think the 12 second 1/4s with a stock rebuilt turbo and no engine mods at all not even HG says as much as anything

Love the stuff , been using it for years and nitrous and turbo's is truly a marriage made in heaven.

My only advice would be to get decent advice from those who have actually fitted kits to Skylines and know what they are talking about , lots of people talk the talk but sell inferior stuff or just repeat what a mate told them.

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
My only advice would be to get decent advice from those who have actually fitted kits to Skylines and know what they are talking about , lots of people talk the talk but sell inferior stuff or just repeat what a mate told them.
Couldn't agree more, there's plenty of people who think they know what are doing and can cause you more harm than good, be carefull as its not just a matter of chucking in a kit, turning on the bottle and going for it!!.

Rob

·
Registered
296 Posts
I've done a bit of digging around this subject as I thought I might get a nitrous kit myself. From what I read, nitrous is pound-for-pound the best power upgrade you can get for your car, especially when there's a turbo involved. It has to be set up properly and a good quality kit needs to be used. The only downside is that it is not permanent, and some people say that refilling gas bottles can be expensive, but I guess that depends how much you use it.

Some people say it's 'cheating' or it can blow your car up. Don't listen - they are either people who have spent thousands tuning their car the traditional way (i.e. some sort of engine build) and hate to see someone spending a fraction of the cost and matching their 1/4 miles times, or people who have themselves used a crap kit or a badly installed one. (Or of course, they don't know what they are talking about!).

There is a guy on here called T.F.S who knows an awful lot about nitrous - he is a moderator on a nitrous-related web forum.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Automotive Supplies by Nitrous Oxide Supplies

These guys can supply bulk bottles so you can refill your own bottle and they may also be able to advise of a local supplier as filling the bottles can be a major problem

I've fitted a few kits for Skylines and other cars and supply gas to a few guys which subsidises the gas i use myself i reckon it cost me about £2 per lb

My kit is a hybrid of a few different makes but i do rate NOS kits highly as basic kits , they are also well priced

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
I also recommend a basic NOS wet single fogger for most people starting out.

If setup and tuned correctly a 75 or 100 shot will really wake up a motor and sort out laggy turbo's, we've dropped as much as 3 seconds off the 1/4 mile time in low power auto and high power manual cars with a single wet fogger.

Rob

1 - 20 of 52 Posts