GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out for a bit of fun last night and my mate was armed with a video camera. We wanted to get some footage of my GTR lanching and it's the first time I have tried. However, it acts like a normal RWD and just spins. I have owned the car about 5 weeks and always thought it was odd that it slides so easily. The torque gauge says there is power going to the front, the 4WD light goes out after ignition and the ATTESA ECU in the boot is not flashing. I tried on gravel last night and confirmed that there is no 4WD. The fluid level in the boot is a tiny bit under MIN, but surely it should still work. Any ideas?

·
Registered
823 Posts
Make sure you fill the Fluid level up in the boot as this cause it to run in rear wheels drive basically a saftey mode, for the car not you as RWD & 600BHP in the wet is not safe lol

Thing is it should be brining the 4wd light on, on the dash! Try the fluid and see how ya go!

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
GeorgeGTR said:
RWD & 600BHP in the wet is not safe lol
This is an understatement..

I lost 4WD last week and my cars making nowhere near 600...

Had my foot down in the slightly damp (not wet) the other day and ended up on the other side of the road!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 4WD light came on once a couple of weeks ago, but I turned the ignition off and switched it back on and it was ok. What fluid do I need to top it up?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have just sat in the car and switched the HKS Torque controller on and off a few times and the 4WD light came on. I checked the ECU led in the boot and flashed 18 times which according to the fault list is ETS pressure switch or circuit. Any ideas where to go from here?

·
Registered
823 Posts
I would fill the fluid level in the boot, just fill it with power steering fluid. I think this will cure your problem.

·
Registered
823 Posts
off after ignition, if it stays on it will be showing a fault!

Also check that the fuse box, there is a fuse you can pull on the 32's to make them RWD only! Top left in fuse box!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fuse is fine. After reading a few posts on the forum, with similar problems, I thought I'd put a wire across the the big red and yellow wires that go in to the black relay in the boot. When I did that I could hear a noise that I am assuming is supposed to be the hydraulic pump. It sounded a bit strange like a constant squeal. Would I expect to see some movement of fluid in the reservoir?

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
The hydraulic pump sits above the rear diff under the car, check the wiring and connections to that

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
when I bridge the wires on the relay the pump seems to work, not sure if it sounds right though. And I expected to see some sort of movement in the fluid tank in the boot, but nothing.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is there a definate way of finding out if it is the transfer box myself? I was thinking of getting underneath to attempt bleeding of the system to see if that does anything.

·
Registered
192 Posts
could be the pressure switch inside the ETS pump, see if you can get into to someone with Consult II and run a self diagnostics on the pressure switch.

alternatively listen to the pump whilst the car is running (behind the driver's side rear wheel). Every few minutes after start up the pump should run for a few seconds to top up the pressure of the ETS fluid. If it doesn't probably means the pressure switch is always registering enough pressure i.e. it is broken..

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The only time I really here anything is if I switch the HKS Electronic Torque Controller from OFF to ON, I then hear a buzzing noise for about 2 seconds from under the drivers side of the car. And if I switch the ETC between on and off a few times I end up getting the 4WD light on and error code 18, which is ETS pressure switch as you mentioned above. So it sounds plausible, think I will get underneath now and check connections, etc.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Nik_W said:
Is there a definate way of finding out if it is the transfer box myself? I was thinking of getting underneath to attempt bleeding of the system to see if that does anything.
Bleed it first that way you will see if the pump is working.The squeal could have just been the relay,they do that if you short out the wrong connection.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cheers Tyndago I found your link in another thread and used to help bleed the system.

Here's the crack. I have bled the system and there was no air present, the pump was switching on and off as I assume it should when bleeding the system. I went back out in the car afterwards and according to the torque gauge the system is working as it should i.e. sending power to the front under hard acceleration. But the back wheels just spin. I took it to a field and tried it so I would no for certain, my other half got out the car to see if the front wheels were spinning when I pulled away, but they weren't. The back wheels were spinning and the torque gauge went right up to 50%. Whilst I was driving around I remembered something when I first took delivery of the car, I didn't really think it was significant until now. There was a fair bit of whining coming from the transmission especially in higher gears. However, a few days later it disappeared. I assumed it was because the car had been sitting around for a few weeks, on the boat from Japan, and it just needed to settle or something. I don't get any whining at all now and the car drives very smoothly, I just don't have any power going to the front.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts