GTR Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Why is it you biker guys don't have to have a front plate and car's do ?
It's because of health and safety, but for good reason this time as when bikes did require number plates at the front many years ago they ran down the middle of the front mudguard and often caused terrible injuries in a collision.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Alfa's should be allowed to run without a front plate imo. They always look so much sexier without it in the showroom!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Really? ... the laws not optional you know. Be interested how you'd react if your property (or worse family) got hit by a car who was unidentifiable due to no number plate on the front.
Just curious. What if a motorbike ran someone over. They don't have a front plate either.
I don't think it would make anyones family any safer if they did.

My previous gtr ran around for 2.5yrs without a front plate and was never pulled. I owned it a couple of months and got pulled. Told the copper "supercars dont have front plates"
Copper replied with "oh errr oh ok have a good evening"
Yes I did LOL all the way home.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
The law's an ass as always, a dirty number plate can get you points on your licence, but no plate at all is just a fine :)

Likewise with the stupid illogical mobile phone laws.. holding a phone in your hand whilst driving is no different to scratching your ear.. it's engaging the brain in a telephone conversation that's the distracting bit, ergo hands free is just as distracting as holding a phone but perfectly legal.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Not that into breaking the law tbh and was just wondering because I saw some people without front plates and I think it looks much cleaner. But if it's illegal, which I thought it was anyway, I wouldn't do it ha

·
Registered
73 Posts
The law's an ass as always, a dirty number plate can get you points on your licence, but no plate at all is just a fine :)

Likewise with the stupid illogical mobile phone laws.. holding a phone in your hand whilst driving is no different to scratching your ear.. it's engaging the brain in a telephone conversation that's the distracting bit, ergo hands free is just as distracting as holding a phone but perfectly legal.
I think your wrong having a dirty number plate is not an endorseable offence.

Why would you hold a phone in your hand if you weren't using it, or about to use it. Using a mobile phone whilst driving has been proven to be just as dangerous as driving with alcohol in your system, that's why it carries penalty points. Yes the Law is an ass at times but not in relation to the points your making.

Richie

·
Registered
871 Posts
I've always been confused about the Ferrari 458.. why is one car allowed?

I ran German pressed plates on my dub and never got tugged, motor bike plates on the GTR and never been pulled.

But I do live in a shithole area of London :D

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
I think your wrong having a dirty number plate is not an endorseable offence.
That's right, I was thinking of a mis-spaced plate which can carry a huge fine of £1000, in contrast to no plate at all which can be a FPN of £60.

Why would you hold a phone in your hand if you weren't using it, or about to use it. Using a mobile phone whilst driving has been proven to be just as dangerous as driving with alcohol in your system, that's why it carries penalty points. Yes the Law is an ass at times but not in relation to the points your making.

Richie
You misunderstand, engaging the brain in a phone conversation is the distracting part, what you are holding in your hand at that time is irrelevant. Hands free or holding a mobile - no difference in terms of distraction (reduced concentration) from the road. The law does not recognise that.

Even chatting to a passenger is distracting in as much as it reduces the percentage of concentration you're giving to the road. I'd love to know the percentage of RTC's that involve single versus multi occupied vehicles, but AFAIK that important stat is not even recorded.

·
Registered
73 Posts
That's right, I was thinking of a mis-spaced plate which can carry a huge fine of £1000, in contrast to no plate at all which can be a FPN of £60.

You misunderstand, engaging the brain in a phone conversation is the distracting part, what you are holding in your hand at that time is irrelevant. Hands free or holding a mobile - no difference in terms of distraction (reduced concentration) from the road. The law does not recognise that.

Even chatting to a passenger is distracting in as much as it reduces the percentage of concentration you're giving to the road. I'd love to know the percentage of RTC's that involve single versus multi occupied vehicles, but AFAIK that important stat is not even recorded.

Again I disagree, whether or not you have no number plate or an illegal plate the penalties are the same, either a non endorseable fixed penalty or a fine not exceeding £1000.

Again I ask why hold a phone in your hand whilst your driving if your not either using it, intend to use it or have used it to either make a call or text someone. I do concur on your point about the distraction element being really important, but you can't expect the police to 2nd guess whether or not you are actually using your phone when it is in your hand when you are driving. (Moral of the story don't hold your phone when your driving).

In injury accidents whether or not there are passengers in the car is recorded as a statistic. However whether or not they were talking at the time or just prior to the accident is not.

Richie

·
Premium Member
8,827 Posts
+ 1 - but at least it's not like people are shouting about it on public forums and displaying their number plates......oh, wait a minute....:chairshot
LOL LOL LOL

We got pulled on a tour in Scotland and even though mine was ill equiped with the spacing (a Halfords mistake) the cars STUPID enough not to have front number plates got a ticket and a fine - MUPPETS !!!! :eek:

21 - 37 of 37 Posts