GTR Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at my car tonight, only a month old and it looked lovely! Sparkerly and new! lol :clap:

The problem is how long will my paint work stay like this...? I haven't got a garage to 'preserve, protect it against all the bad weather.

Any ideas what I can do? Ive even though about buying one off the crappy car cover things to wrap round it each night from Halfords!

I don't live far from the sea either so sand can occasionally be brought up in by the rain.

cheers guys!

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
GTROC car cover

get it detailed with good wax

mine stays outside or under a GTROC cover and its a 18months old, paint is ok

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
mine lives outside too

paintwork fine other than a few light scratches, from a cat sliding off and marking paint

I've not noticed any stone chips, or lasting damage from bird doodoo.

Only thing I do as my car lives outside, is peridically unclog the drainage channel between the boot seal and light clusters, so it drains properly.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Keep it well waxed or sealed (a sealant will generally speaking protect against the salt air better if near the sea), and keep it covered.

Don't be tempted to cover it when dirty.... It's better in the open air till clean.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Keep it well waxed or sealed (a sealant will generally speaking protect against the salt air better if near the sea), and keep it covered.

Don't be tempted to cover it when dirty.... It's better in the open air till clean.
Hi mate...

When you say sealant what do you mesan?

Sorry to be thick!

·
Registered
634 Posts
A sealant is like a wax but is tougher as rather than making it from caranuba a sealant is made from chemicals and polymers so it is tougher and more hard wearing than a wax.

I tend to use a sealant in the winter as it is hard to get the car really clean and keep it clean. In the summer I get get more time to wash it and keep it clean so I wax it - plus wax gives a better shine but does not last as a long.

FinishKare paste wax is one of the best sealants for the money (I know it is called paste wax but it is a sealant).

Kp

·
Registered
968 Posts
For lazy bastards like me poor boys has a combined wax/sealant which is very good in my uneducated opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
For lazy bastards like me poor boys has a combined wax/sealant which is very good in my uneducated opinion.
For even lazier bastards, if u are unsure, i would get it professionally detailed for the winter. They will seal the car and usually top it off with a coat or 2 of wax.

Then all you would need to do is wash the car with ph neutral shampoo that wont strip the wax or sealant and top it off with a quick detailing spray.

Then when the nicer weather comes, i would look at detailing it yourself.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
A sealant is like a wax but is tougher as rather than making it from caranuba a sealant is made from chemicals and polymers so it is tougher and more hard wearing than a wax.

I tend to use a sealant in the winter as it is hard to get the car really clean and keep it clean. In the summer I get get more time to wash it and keep it clean so I wax it - plus wax gives a better shine but does not last as a long.

FinishKare paste wax is one of the best sealants for the money (I know it is called paste wax but it is a sealant).

Kp
All of the above is correct and with good surface prep you can get sealants to look as good as a waxes :thumbsup:

Robbie

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
For even lazier bastards, if u are unsure, i would get it professionally detailed for the winter. They will seal the car and usually top it off with a coat or 2 of wax.

Then all you would need to do is wash the car with ph neutral shampoo that wont strip the wax or sealant and top it off with a quick detailing spray.

Then when the nicer weather comes, i would look at detailing it yourself.
PH Neutral shampoo is key to a long lasting finish, some non PH Neutral shampoos contain acidic which is great for cleaning but will strip the car of its protection.

Robbie

Edit: also only clean the car when it really needs it as cleaning for the sake of it will be running the risk of inflicting swirls on the paintwork and lowering protection levels.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
A few rolls of police tape and then you could park wherever the hell you want without fear of yobs hanging around your car!

·
Premium Member
7,641 Posts
Looks like a marquee for an 808 State party!

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Showing you age now then eh!

Pacific State and Cubik were two tracks that made the music of the time "Classic"

Kp
89 thru mid 90's - fantastic

heard born slippy, Underworld, for the first time in a while yesterday; fantastic

·
Registered
194 Posts
I was looking at my car tonight, only a month old and it looked lovely! Sparkerly and new! lol :clap:

The problem is how long will my paint work stay like this...? I haven't got a garage to 'preserve, protect it against all the bad weather.

Any ideas what I can do? Ive even though about buying one off the crappy car cover things to wrap round it each night from Halfords!

I don't live far from the sea either so sand can occasionally be brought up in by the rain.

cheers guys!
I have the same problem only i live near a powerstation and the crap left on the car after a rainy day can demoralise you, so had it washed, clay and wax today then put the new GTROC cover on. The cover is a good fit and is worth every penny as far as i'm concerned:thumbsup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.