GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
Godzilla was a name given to the R32 when it was feared by rival teams in ATCC. The name is not relevant to other models and certainly not to an R35!

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
Godzilla was a name given to the R32 when it was feared by rival teams in ATCC. The name is not relevant to other models and certainly not to an R35!
Thank you!!!

I get SICK TO DEATH of hearing Godzilla this, Godzilla that.

It's R32's ONLY!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What's with all the sensitive peeps here?

I thought this was the GTROC site (not slagtube) where Gtr lovers from any model come together about their cars past/present & future?

@Admin, If this thread continues to be a battle ground pls delete.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts

I thought this was the GTROC site (not slagtube) where Gtr lovers from any model come together about their cars past/present & future?

Agreed.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I love the car I want one!,

Bobby

·
Registered
6,783 Posts

Not sensitive, just pointing out facts :)

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
It is fact that the name was given to the r32 but it was also adopted by the media for the r35..... Fact!!

As let's be honest the r35 does strike the same fear in to the big boys that the r32 used to so it's no wonder it's been reborn!

Play nice people!

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Not nearly as much of a threat at racing levels today as the 32 was back then, racing rules and classes have pretty much made competition very fair these days.

As a street car sure, it can put many high value cars to shame, but other than ego boosting, and gentleman racing etc, its not really pushing the 'fear' in to anything at current racing levels. Mandatory RWD and Spec races means many advantages are levelled off.

Still a great car!

Maybe we can say its the Godzilla of the street :confused:

·
Registered
591 Posts
Godzilla?! It's not even a skyline! :p :) :runaway:

I like the look of the 36 concept - well, the front reminds me of a basking shark but apart from that I like it!

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
The R32 was Godzilla, but the name has stuck ever since.
So kind of to be expected.

If you have an adopted name like that and are in the marketing department you don't let it go.

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
Thank you!!!

I get SICK TO DEATH of hearing Godzilla this, Godzilla that.

It's R32's ONLY!!!
The funny thing is most of the new R35 owner who have not followed the history of the GTR and Skyline brands and bought an R35 do not appreciate or understand the history and origins. Those who evolved through the models, ie, 32, 33, 34 etc would have more appreciation.

·
Registered
591 Posts
The funny thing is most of the new R35 lot who have not followed the history of the GTR and Skyline brands and bought an R35 do not appreciate or understand the history and origins.
What history? It's the first generation GTR isn't it?! :p

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
Its an evolution, they dropped the Skyline tag, but without the 32,33,34 the 35 would not have been. Like wise the 32 was an evolution from previous models of the Skyline and there is some resemblance to the R31 and some technology such as Hicas was carried over.

·
Real men use a H-Pattern.
12,032 Posts
I have the magazine article where it originated at home. The journalist was quoting a mechanic from a rival team who said as the GT-R took up it's grid position for a race, "There it sits. Godzilla."

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
The funny thing is most of the new R35 owner who have not followed the history of the GTR and Skyline brands and bought an R35 do not appreciate or understand the history and origins. Those who evolved through the models, ie, 32, 33, 34 etc would have more appreciation.
But some that are pulled in by the R35 do have an interest in the older stuff.

The R35 was the first Nissan I've ever owned.
Then I found out about all these cool older models I'd not really known much about before.
Then I bought an R32. :)

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Look at these peeps who own the older cars going off on one, wow. I thought we are all in the same boat, not a competition of my car is better and got prouder history than yours.

Then all this, if it was not for our ancient cars blah blah blah.

The R35 is nicknamed "Godzilla" get over it, it's part of marketing, I know exactly how it originated, I have read up about it in Australian racing.

But as long as its a GT-R it will always be named as "Godzilla"

Wow, it's nearly like trying to tell a child when he grows up Santa isn't real lol

1 - 20 of 34 Posts